Poem Help... PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ms_teacher, May 7, 2007.

1. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

May 7, 2007

Greetings,

I am doing a demo lesson on compound words. I have really great ideas so far. But I've run into a huge problem... I can't find any poems that have a significant amount of compound words in them. I've scoured the internet, and have basically come up with nothing. Does anyone have a poem like this, or know of a great site with poems that have compound words? All assistance is GREATLY appreciated?

THX!!

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

May 7, 2007

I don't know if this suggestion helps, but try ESL (English as a Second Language) websites.

4. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

May 7, 2007

I found this one at the following site:
    http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry.asp?id=184296
    Depends on the grade level...
    There was also one called "I'm a Baby Dinosaur." Although it only contains three compound words, you could use those to springboard a lesson for your students to create other compounds or even use their imagination to create a new compound word.

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 8, 2007

I know this is going to take a miracle for some, but...

try and write one yourself.

This way you can really explain to the students how to write one and choose the compound wording can be really tricky

(evil stares shoot in my direction)

ok ok, sorry I know I'm a WORKAHOLIC but not everyone else is... 1000 apologies

Give me a list of some compound words in your lesson, your grade, and theme and I'll write one for you.

oops did i just give a free invitation for more work...

6. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

May 8, 2007

Your coworkers must really love you!!!

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 8, 2007

They want to buy me coffee, or something as a thank you, but I say what goes around comes around, so pass it around. I love helping others out to better their lives and profession. IT has been my dream to be a teacher since I was a student in grade 9. nothing can get in the way to stop the energy flow.

Thanks for the kudo.

Mr. Skinner :D

8. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

May 8, 2007

Awww!!! Thank you so very much for the offer!!! I actually tried to write one myself, but with my nervous energy flowing , I came down with a bad case of writer's block (and the poem I wrote was... let's say less than perfect). This lesson is for a demo lesson, and I don't want to present anything that's less than perfect. However, it would have been impressive to present a poem that I actually wrote. But... nonetheless, I got it all together. My demo lesson is tomorrow, and I feel confident that put together a superb lesson... *Pray for me*

Once again, thanks for all of your help!!!!!

9. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 10, 2007

your welcome and I just said a prayer... you will do fine I'm sure.
    :D