Poem Center Ideas- New ideas needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

My poem center is in the beginning stages of getting "boring".

Ive done the poems on sentences strips and they put them in order. Ive cut the words apart and they fix it that way. Ive added sight words and they must find them. Added the crazy pointers.

I haven't tried to change the colors of things like writing the poems in a different color. I could do that.

I had them take out some of the words and had them replace them with silly words of their choice.

They can look for nouns, blends and other things we have covered.

Anything else? I know there have to be some great ideas out there. I just can't think of any at this point.

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

I forgot to add-

I would like ideas for big book center as well.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

What grades/ages do you teach? That might give us a place to start the ideas flowing.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2011

Big book center - Kids use wikki stix to circle word wall words. Take turns being pointer and page turner. Play teacher (one child reads and asks other kid to find a word or letter). They can also tell the "student" to write a certain word or letter. We have those stand up poster that come with basals. They use dry erase marker and circle word wall words or letters on the poster (because they are wipe off). I use oral language posters and discuss with partner. Write certain words on sticky notes, they find in story and cover with note.

The kids LOVE LOVE LOVE re-read big books we've used in shared reading. This is one of my kids favorite centers.

I also have them search for 3 letter words, 4 letters word, etc.

Sometimes I place extra laminating film over book with a clip and they can circle word wall words.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2011

I don't have a "poem center". I have a word study center in which an activity they can do is glue the poem for the week in their poetry notebook (composition book), circle word wall words, and illustrate the poem.

Also, I have the pocketchart center with activities like you describe. Also in pocketchart center: memory (starting with a regular game working your way up to memory using letter cards and then word wall words. They LOVe this silly game.

Debbie Diller has a great book called "Beyond the Names Chart" - great ideas that can be used in pocketchart center (as well as others). Match kids' names to their pictures. Sort word wall words. Sorts of all kinds (concept sort, sorting by spelling patterns, # of letter in word/name, # of syllables, boys and girls, etc. )

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

I teach 1st grade.

Thanks skitteroo for the ideas. Any others?

I do have a Debbie Diller book about centers that I forgot I had but I don't think it has anything new in there that I don't already do.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2011

yeah you can definitely do everything I mentioned (I teach kinder now, but have taught first and second) - you would just add blends and simple spelling pattterns, etc.