PO'D CLUB

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by mstemple05, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

Master Pre-K, I am so glad you found those pants!!!!

mstemple, how is your job going?

I am really frustrated right now. I don't like the LTS job I have and looking for a job is throwing me into a state of panic. This morning I yelled at my husband for the stupidist little thing. I am SO tired of coming home and looking for a job. There is nothing posted. When will this end? Why can't life be easy? Some days I think I can't go on...

2. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

Girl welcome to the club. This is what the po'd club is all about. Being frustrated about WHATEVER life has in store.

The job is going ok, but these dag on kids!! OMG. Like, I said all the time "i thought you could handle assigned seats in 11th grade but apparently you're still not mature enough." Sometimes it works, other times, they're more concerned with the 11th gr drama that goes on and who said what at lunch or in the morning... UUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good stress i keep tellin myself, good stress, good stress, good stress.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

teach123, I know how you feel. I just got into the sub system so am hoping that calls will start coming in for that. I also have my name on the long term assignment list so I hope that get called for one of those. The job that I applied for last Wednesday still has not been filled, and I still haven't heard anything about it. Not sure what he's waiting for.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

Subbing is what I am so tired of, I think I can't do it anymore. I subbed for 4 years and now have been a LTS for eight different positions in the last five years. I am tired of getting the lowest pay with no benefits. I just want a place to call my own.

BTW, I hope subbing works out for you. I don't know what I am going to do when this LTS is over. I don't want to do any more SUBBING!!!!

5. smalltowngal

Sep 27, 2007

Well I'm hoping I won't have to sub and that this principal calls soon for an interview or better yet with an offer. But I'll sub if I have to to get my foot in the door. I'm sorry that you haven't had much luck subbing. I hope things turn around. I understand wanting a classroom to call yours for the long haul.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2007

uh..I used to. when I lived in L.A. anyways. never rememberd how far down the block I parked!

thank goodness for my new car and the key alarm thingy...that is so cool! sometimes I hit the trunk by mistake. Okay, great! Now I don't know where my car is, but I just opened the trunk! :rolleyes:

when I lived in L.A., I had to tie a scarf or sock, or whatever was lying around in my car to the antenna. otherwise, I never find my car in the parking lot!

Oh sure, I could write down, A5 Green...but it sounds like Bingo and Twister to me!

7. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

my grandparents and i do that ALL THE TIME in parking lots. but they make me remember. i never do, i just look for the car and hope i'm going the right way. heaven forbid we take a different car (either my grandmother's truck or grandpop's caddy) and don't remember which car we're looking for!

8. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Sep 27, 2007

So, let me see if I understand...you've subbed for 9 years without getting your own classroom? Oh, man. I started subbing last spring, and continuing into this school year, because of the scarcity of teaching positions. I don't like it much either. I'm afraid of never getting my own class, I'll be at retirement age soon without a job to retire from! Good luck to you (and us all) in finding that dream teaching position.

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 27, 2007

if they don't have teachers why not just hire you?

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!?!!!

10. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Sep 27, 2007

I DON'T KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::help:

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 28, 2007

I want to join this club! I've been unfairly screwed over. Here's my story:

I got my 1st choice position at a school 10 min. away from my home. Salary was great for just being a 1st year teacher. Well, the boss wanted me to run this program w/o ever mentioning it on the interviews. I was able to get out of it w/o any trouble, but 4 mos before the year's up, I get the shock of my life when I'm told that I wouldn't be rehired. Never knew that was coming! Now that I look back on it, I feel that I was set up to fail and/or that the boss had a certain plan since day 1.

It's not just me. I had heard nothing, but negative comments about this district after I was hired.

12. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

Welcome to the club Ms I. I wish there was something we could do to legally fight for our rights. But it just seems like we have to continue being victims and that hurts.

Yes, Turtle, I was a day to day sub for 4 years, then was a LTS for the same district for 5 years. The principal I worked for wanted to hire me, but another one didn't. Now I am working for our county's Intermediate Unit as a LTS. I feel like I won't have a job to retire from either.

13. nikkiskillz

nikkiskillz Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

You are all scaring me!! If I had to sub much longer I would be living on the streets because I find it very difficult to wake up and WANT to find work. I sub for a temp agency so I compete with other subs for jobs... You have to basically wait by the computer until something good pops up on the screen. Well I prefer to sleep and when I get up at 7:30 to check, everything is gone. I know after Thanksgiving Break, these people will be calling me every 5 minutes for a subbing job because thats when teachers decide to take off a lot.

Anyways, I have an interview in slower lower Delaware on Monday for 5th grade. That would be ideal because subbing has made me a little wary of the 5-8 year olds. And... it would give me a reason to move closer to the beach :) Cross your fingers for me .. that I make it there and back without running out of gas!

14. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

LOL. i had to do that too. i prayed i could get there and back on $5. (from philadelphia-near cheltenham to wilmington). yea, it was a stretch. i had some change as well that helped.

15. smalltowngal

Sep 28, 2007

Okay, I should have read this thread first Ms. I. I just asked why you didn't go back to teaching and I guess this answers my ? :sorry:

nikki, don't worry, they're scaring me too!! :eek:I wish you luck on your interview Monday! I hope that you can move closer to the beach! That would definitely be a plus to the job. I'm just wondering why jobs seem to be still posting everywhere else in the country except where I'm at. :dunno:

Someone please give these people(including me) a job!!!

16. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

Best wishes on the interview. At least you are still getting interviews!!! I actually would like to teach the 6-9 year olds.

17. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

So I read the first six pages and then was chomping at the bit to vent so here it goes. In 2006 summer I moved back home after teaching in VA for a year and a half. Got that job right over the phone. I left because I was doing the aide thing and couldn't get a job in the area. So last year I subbed and took someone's maternity leave. This summer I didn't even get an interview. A family friend who is vice principal gave me a mock interview this weekend because I had a fifth grade language arts interview. She gave me all this advice after she taped me. I ran out and replaced my shirt because she said I needed more color etc. So I had the interview on Monday. It went well but the questions weren't specific. I would have gone into what a balanced literacy program looks like etc??The interview was only twenty minutes. On the way out the principal was like you will hear from me in the next two days. ummmmm I don't think my phone is broken. Hello????Why do principals do this??? If they know you didn't get the job why don't they tell you? Our friend said it is because they want to make sure the other persons references check out and they still want the job. I kind of had the idea that the interview team already have someone in mind. So I sit at my before and after school care job making 10:55 an hour with my masters wondering what the heck! Cry! I miss havung my classroom. I would go back to va in a sec.

Can I join the teacher spy team? Our friend gives great tips????

18. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

I miss havung my classroom. I would go back to va in a sec.
    [/QUOTE]

Is there some reason you can't? I get e-mails from Teachers-Teachers and there are always openings in VA. I would go in a second if my family would want to relocate. I think if I don't have a full time teaching job by next year, we will seriously think about moving to VA.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2007

weekly report

master pre-k weekly report 9/28/07

I must pretend that I am keeping busy...so here is my mock report. no grammar rules please. i should be napping for my night job. so here it goes:

good news. the job finally paid me. got check in mail today. not even a real payroll check. I made a copy of it and the envelope before cashing it. letter says, "you will get check for 2nd week sometime this weekend" :confused: uh..ok so this check that was due 9/5 I get three weeks days later, and the check for 9/20...who knows? at least I got one. letter also says, "thanks for all your ideas, good luck in future endeavors."

uh...doggone it. was I just USED!?? I feel so cheap! :mad:

I reported to two church pantries. nice places, clean, decent..no nosy people or dumb questions. just filled up my shopping cart with can goods and bread. one place gave me a voucher for a grocery store! filling up my cabinet in new place..for emergency..like no check in few weeks.

Had interview. went well. Did not here anything yet. Have not heard from 1st job at all. :( Got call today for an aide job. interview monday. why did I think I would be at a new job by monday?? :crosseyed

almost finished packing..yeah right...nothing is done..it is too hard to pack and live at the same time. :rolleyes: soon as I pack something, two minutes later I am digging in boxes looking for it!

switch off for weekend so I have to work extra day. at least I will get one day off to finish moving..

next plan...start walking around parking lots, collecting cans for recycling.

can't believe it will be october next week.

if i don't get something by november...I will have to drop out of school :(

sigh

total phone calls: 5
    total interviews: 1
    total resumes mailed: 15

20. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

sheesh. where are food pantries? i need to look into one. walmart looks expensive when u broke!!

i hope it gets MUCH better for you guys.

i feel much better about what i'm teaching my kids. i found out the other english teachers are reviewing basic grammar and spelling and whatnot as well. especially since no one has books yet. and i feel better knowing that even though the kids are whining about how babyish the spelling words are, they obviously need them and the other teachers were in agreement. i feel MUCH BETTER that i'm not the only one "on curriculum" and following it like my bible and doing what the kids need instead of some routine.

i'm praying for you all. i just need you to know that, ok guys?

:hugs:

21. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 28, 2007

A little wild

LOL.

On a side note, i never thought my thread would get to be 300 posts long. I figured once ppl got jobs or actually just got their frustrations off of their chest that it would be over and done with. Or that it would be just the same trio- me, master prek and smalltowngal always commenting. LOL.

This is kinda cool.. :wub:

22. smalltowngal

Sep 28, 2007

Hey, we're still posting!! But me and MPK haven't found jobs yet and there are a lot more PO'ed people out there than we thought. I find myself scrolling down to the Job Seekers forum to see if anyone has gotten a job, interview or something...no, oh I'm sorry to hear that, well I'm in the same boat you are!!

23. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

I'm not sure I can go back because I signed contract with the district and then resigned two weeks later. I had given my principal warning before I left for the summer and told her that I would let her know by mid July. I did that. Does anyone know if school districts are strict with people getting out of contract?

24. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

Let's start our own charter school or something. I was watching are you smarter then a 5th grader last night and who educated those adults? lol. I want to play the game because I taught 5th grade

25. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 28, 2007

Still no job, of ANY kind, feels likes I am kind of beating my head against a wall. Oh well, had a yard sale today and made some money. That will help.

26. nikkiskillz

nikkiskillz Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

Smalltowngal - Most places around here post for 1 day! They legally have to post an opening but since they post on a Monday and have the deadline the same day... they can avoid 1,0000 new applicants. I check the websites religiously then I send my application, E-mail HR, and the school principal and sometimes call. My shy attitude is out the window and I'm determined! I have gotten more interviews in September than all of the rest of the year combined .. don't give up. Now... if I don't get hired by next Friday somewhere... I WILL be giving up!

27. nikkiskillz

nikkiskillz Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

I don't know what number 1,0000 is but I like it.

28. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2007

I'm not sure either nikki, but hey, it could be a fantastic number! That's a good plan by admin to reduce the amount of apps coming. Keeps you on your toes. I also check 3 school districts HR page every day. Nothing! (but the one I've applied for). I think that there might be more come December if teachers leave in the middle of the year(which I've heard from someone who used to work in the district said happens often) so I'll be jumping on that! I wish you luck again on your interview Monday. I would love 5th grade!!

29. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 29, 2007

I just applied for a waitressing job, SOMETHING to keep me afloat because I'm close to sinking. I'm taking the test to do Social Work next Saturday, but then you have to wait to get the results, and then wait to get a letter about a position, then interview, then wait some more. Do I sense a theme here? Oh yeah WAITING. Did I mention I hate waiting lol.

30. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2007

Daysy, I waitressed for 3 years while going to school. It was a really great atmosphere and I loved it. Yeah there were some ugh customers, but then you had the regulars that you could count on. I wish you luck on the test!

BTW, I hate waiting too!! I think that's a common trend(especially for those w/ no job. :(

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

non-working poor

I worked last night, took tonight off, have to work sunday.

overnight..or graveyard as we used to call it..is starting to suck big time. around 4-5am..I am just a zombie! My feet hurt, my speech is slurred, I drift off...it is scarry. I wish I could just do stock room nights, and not this overnight stuff. even two days are killing me!

don't think I could be a waitress..it would hurt my foot too much

good news..I did get check..and family helped me move in today. finally got online a few minutes ago. got boxes surrounding me! at least bed is up, I can fall into that in a few minutes! move boxes out of the way so I won't bust my head when I get up.

ok, the food pantries are at churches. find some social service agency, or look on wall in unemployment. all you need is ID. and get there early, grab a number and bring your shopping cart, or a few bags. most of the stuff is can goods, some is day old bakery stuff. each place has something different. some places have riff raff hanging out..so be careful, others are clean and decent churches..lots of nice old people volunteering..don't make you feel like a loser.

next plan, collecting cans and bottles, and taking them to recylcing plant. In L.A., it was easy, because they had machines outside grocery stores that would do it easy.. .05 a bottle/can. you need a bag to at least get bus fare. most places only take a pound at a time.

the cheap grocery stores are Aldi's and Food 4 Less. I can't stand the smell of Aldi's. their bread is just awful. too many no name items..I can't really deal with them. Food 4 Less has name brands, but a lot of dated stuff and opened packages. be careful... Ultra and Cub foods were better...bag yourself was only issue. I think if you stick to store brand, save coupons, and carefully go thru outdated stuff...you will be okay.

what happened to the no-name, black and white generic label stuff??

next step- tuna fish, salmon croquets...

baby food, sardines and SPAM...

yeesh!

well, that Gerber Peach Cobbler ok :rolleyes:!

I have a condo, but not much else...
    well, my computer and family and you guys :hugs:

thanks for being there...:thanks:

32. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

LOOOOOOOOOL@ nikki's new number. i was looking @ it tilting my head like "am i seeing double or something wrong?". lol, glad i'm not goin crazy. i like the new number too, maybe it will be a new hourly wage!! :)

be encouraged guys. i know it's easier said than done, but you can't lose hope just yet. it WILL come together.

LOL@ you copycats hating waiting. HEY! THAT'S MY JOB!!!!!!

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

nikki, i think you put your comma in the wrong place

or maybe you are doing that 'new math' :confused:

Or maybe you did write it right and I just can't see straight! I can't find my glasses! looked everywhere. moving sucks! I got boxes and bags everywhere. computer, bed and microwave, only things up and put together!

and I have an interview Monday! I called off saturday night but boss calls me and says I have to work tonight instead. GRRR

not looking good. i may lose this job today. I will be too tired to work. I still have to finish cleaning out old place, so I can turn in keys tomorrow!

and I still haven't heard anything from either job.

Did I mention I hate waiting?? :lol::lol::lol:

34. smalltowngal

Sep 30, 2007

MPK, that's a whole other thread....the waiting game!! I'm sorry that you can't find your glasses, but I hope that you find them before your interview tomorrow. I would just prop myself on the counter tonight and tape my eyelids open!

35. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

I found them!

thanks for the suggestions smalltown...but I found my glasses! :eek:

Ok, so I was supposed to work tonight 5-11. I was totally po'd because I wanted sat off so I could move. there is no way you can move in one doggone day! so I got most of the stuff done yesterday..and today I went back over to finish up and clean out old apartment.

It was 4:50 p.m., and I had just defrosted the freezer. I thought, I can do this. so I ran down to my car for my uniform pants, and a fresh shirt. I got back upstairs and said to myself, "Forget it!!" I can't be two places at once!! I will kill myself on this job! I need to get this place cleaned out so I can get my deposit back in 30 days or less. I can't do anything at 11 (but hang out in AtoZ) working after 11 is bad enough.

so...I didn't go. and they didn't call. the car loan people called :mad: Again they have me on speed dial...on Sunday?!

so now, I am sure it will be official when I go to work next friday...I probably won't have that job either. My plan is to play it off and say..

"I thought you meant I would work next sunday!"

37. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 1, 2007

Well, I just sent 2 more resumes via e-mail. Cross your fingers for those. Oh yeah, also applied at a place online to keep me afloat.

38. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 1, 2007

And another place online just now. I love doing it online, so much faster and easier!

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2007

good luck to you daysy...

I will check careerbuilder.com tomorrow after my interview

40. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 1, 2007

Good luck with your interview tomorrow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.