Pocket Charts from Target...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Andrea L, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

What are you planning to do with those pocket charts from Target that are in the dollar section? I looked at them, but the slots are so long and narrow that I wasn't sure what I could put in them. Any ideas?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Are you talking about the ones that are for the jobs? I'm going to put the pencils cuts outs with students names (laminated first) in there. So we'll know who is the owner of each job.

4. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

What aer you two talking about?!? I heard about these, but neither of my local Targets have them! Anyone have a pic? Mebbe I'm missing them! :)

5. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I got crayon cut-outs today from Target. Too cute! I don't have a classroom yet, but I had to buy them. I think you could use the pocket charts for jobs, schedule, maybe a sorting activity for a center, abc order.

dumbdiety...I think you'd see 'em if they were there. Keep checking though, you might find them later. They were unloading stuff at the one I was at this past weekend while I was there.

6. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

They might be good to use for centers. You could also use them for words of the week or vocabulary words. I love the Target dollar spot!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I am going to use it for my schedule. I am going to cut sentence strips in half longways and write my routines on them. I used to have a larger one, but I think this will work fine. I usually stick two together, one under the other with an overlap for the extra pieces to hide underneath... this probably doesn't make sense! I cut the sentence strips into small pieces for the time, and longer pieces for the subject. I like it because I usually just have to change the specials and everything else pretty much stays the same. I have cards that say "Field trip" "assembly" and one for everything we do. I have made these already for a larger pocket chart but want to change for space reasons. The old big one will be for vocab or making words I think.

8. WindyCityGal606

Jul 16, 2007

Ooops! I just looked at my pack and they are crayons, not pencils!! I will laminate them though because they are just too cute to mess up and we'll probably NEVER see them in the store again!!!

9. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Whoo hoo! Found 'em! Nice ones with 14 pockets! Grabbed three (only needed one, but they were so cheap!). One will bea schedule board, and I as thinking of using another for the "today is..." and "the weather outside is..." bits.

10. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I was thinking of hanging one on each bulletin board and writing fous words on them on sentence strips.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Focus Walls

I'm going to use them on my focus wall - sort of like you see in these pictures that I came across.

http://www.smbsd.org/page.cfm?p=908

Look at picture 4, 5, 7 and 8. They are using ones just like the target pocket charts for vocabulary words and spelling words. Last year I used the large one I purchased from Wal-mart for both my spelling and vocabulary which didn't leave me very much room for my station assignments. So this year I'll leave the big one for that and use the smaller ones for spelling & vocab.

12. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I grabbed a bunch with a writing thought in mind. I was originally going to use the library pocket idea where you put a word like nice and then fill it with synonyms....but I was thinking these charts might work just as well b/c then the kids could actually see them and not have to pull them out. I figured no matter what you couldn't beat $1.

13. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

I still cannot find these pocket charts at Target! The only ones I've found are the jobs pockets with the crayon cut outs!! Boo Hoo!!

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Last year my grade level used some pocket charts similar to those to post our schedules outside our doors.

Don't worry if you can't find them. I went to my Target here and they still have the same stuff they had back at the end of June. Hopefully this next week they'll put out the back to school stuff!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

I got three black ones from Target. They'll have science/social studies and reading vocabulary... and the 3rd will probably have jobs in it.

16. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

Are these pockets in the dollar section at Target or with the regular supplies?....maybe I'm just not looking in the right place!!

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

They are! It's in the same area as the plastic bins, stickers, nametags, and other "teacher supplies". At least that's the case in my area. They finally followed the other stores doing this!!

18. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I almost missed them the other day. They are in the Dollar Section, but they were on a bottom shelf, almost hidden in the corner. Good luck in your search!

19. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

ARGHHHH!! I WILL FIND THESE!!!! Thanks so much!

20. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I bought one of each today!!! I have been wanting go after reading all these posts. I don't know what I'll use them all for yet, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I thought I better get them while they had them.

21. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Got mine today! I'm not SURE what I will do with them, but for $1.00 I couldn't NOT buy some! ;-)

22. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Targets seem to be putting these out slowly. I bought out my Target when I found them (for a buck each? I think I can find a use for 5 of them). They haven't re-stocked and the other Target has never even had them. Keep looking!

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2007

Yeah...they put these out slowly, and the pocket charts were very much tucked in at my Target.

24. WindyCityGal606

Jul 22, 2007

That's it!! I'm going in tomorrow and asking the floor manager to go in the back and check. I really have a hard time believing they didn't send a shipment of them to Chicago!! C'mon!!