pocket charts - can i make my own?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tutor1982, Jul 13, 2007.

1. tutor1982

tutor1982 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I am with a non profit organization that serves a small community. We work with disabilities of all sorts - from profound to simply after school tutoring. My job is finding and organizing supplies for all people working with students, especially tutors. I would like to provide some pocket charts for them to use, but obviously i want to do it cheap!

I would love to be able to make some myself. Has anyone ever tried this? How would I go about such a thing?

Thanks!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

4. tutor1982

tutor1982 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

thanks - now i just need to learn how to sew (or get flhappime to teach my mom!)!! That is great...may be I can sweet talk some seamstresses at church.

some of the construction paper ones I might could do with glue (I know how to use that!)

thanks for the fast reply!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

No problem! Good luck on your pocket chart.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 13, 2007

I have made pocket charts from tagboard and colored masking tape. You need to buy the thick (2-3in) tape. Use some tagboard to cut sentence strips that are the width of the pocket chart.

1. Cut a long piece of tape that covers the entire sentence strip and has about 2 inches left hanging over each edge.
    2. Place the sentence strip against the tagboard pocket chart at the bottom and wrap the excess tape around the back of the tagboard to hold the sentence strip in place.
    3. Continue to due this, working your way up your pocket chart.
    4. Finally, add more sentence strip size cards in the pockets!

Michaels has a variety of colored masking tape. I made purple, yellow, bright blue, and pink.

7. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

I just went to target and they have small pocket charts in the dollar spot. I bought a few. Also, Walmart has huge ones for under 10 dollars.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

Walmart has full-sized pocket charts (red or blue) for $9.99. I think Target also had some of these, in their regular school supply section. I bought three, and I am going to cut one down to use as desktop charts for small groups. This is MUCH cheaper than the teacher stores!

9. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

srh, did you see the small desk top size ones at Target? They are in the dollar spot in all different colors. I did see the larger one in the regular section for 10 dollars. It looks really big. Is it bigger than the walmart ones?

10. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

No, I sure didn't. I wanted some of those too! And the Target full-size is EXACTLY the same as WalMart's, even the same brand!

11. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

www.reallygoodstuff.com has some small ones for $4 in clearance.

You don't have to sew for this one: use poster board (thick) for back (Dollar Tree has it), affix long strips of clear upholstery plastic. You could staple it on or use velcro or other sticky things.

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 13, 2007

What is upholstery fabric? Does it look like the long plastic things that hang down when you enter a walk- in fridge or freezer at a restaurant?

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

You can buy clear plastic stuff - like for covering seat cushions - by the yard at fabric stores.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

Can you order the pocket charts from Target.com? I just looked but didn't find anything. I was wondering if maybe it had a different name.

None of my Targets or Walmarts have those pocket charts. :(

16. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

Peachy--at WalMart, be sure to check out the "regular aisle" that has everyday stuff like markers, pens, flash cards, etc. And again, some Targets are just not set up yet. I went to two today, one with stuff, one without. I haven't looked online yet, but then you get stuck with shipping! I'd call around maybe and find out what your local Targets plan to do about it!! (Boy, teachers can sure get the economy moving, can't we??!! HAHA!)

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2007

OH YEAH! Well, I remember trying to find the pocket charts at Walmart last year. None of the Walmarts around me had any. They said that if I could this one manager, that they will special order me a pocket chart, but that would mean driving an hour just to get one. I ended up getting two from retiring teachers. But, this year, my new classroom's whiteboard isn't magnetic, so the things that I normally just hang on my magnetic wall (schedule, homework, etc.) I just plan to stick in a pocket chart. So, I'm on the lookout now for some good deals. I'm really hoping that I get some more again when I get back to school.

18. tutor1982

tutor1982 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I went to Target yesterday and found some great stuff at the dollar spot. I got a pocket chart - it is meant to hold schedules, but i can use it for whatever I want...I got a fun foam clock with a dry erase space to write time, and I got a US puzzle. I also got an alphabet puzzle and a couple of books for my daughter. For all you classroom teachers...they have some really great stuff - stickers, incentive charts, pencils, note pads, hall passes, puzzles, it's great - all for a dollar!!

Thank you all so much for your replies. I plan to try some of them soon!

19. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

Thank you!:)