Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs27, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I was just wondering how many of you do the Pledge with your 4's. Our center has not done it in the past and I have been thinking about it (I know my own kids did it in preschool). Any thoughts on if it is a good idea or too much for them??

3. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

We don't do it with our kids. But I don't see why not if your director is okay with it

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

only our kindergarten class does the pledge

5. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Having taught kindergarten, I would LOVE for the 4's classes to learn the pledge, only because then they'd already know it, I do not think there is ANYTHING wrong with it at all. It's part of our countries heritage and history and that should be encouraged.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 28, 2008

We usually teach the pledge as the last section of the fours year before they enter kinder. That way they know. we sing songs about america and red/white/blue so they know the ideas but the words in the pledge are something to know-not just say. so we wait a little to do it so that they are special.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

We do the pledge from day one. They say it but don't know what it means. But I don't really think most Kinders or many First graders know what it means!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

I've done it in the past and out of however many kids I've had... 1 learned it... the rest were not verbal enough.

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

We will be doing the pledge to the flag, Christian flag, and Bible...it is a schoolwide thing...and we explain it to them on their levels...

10. sunflower

sunflower Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm located in a public school. It is required by law that we say the US pledge, the Texas pledge and a moment of silence. Recognizing the US and Texas flags are also on our report cards.(Didn't know the Tx pledge until I started teaching) The week of Sept 11, I introduce it. We sing songs. Scholastic has wonderful books about the pledge and the flag. At the beginning of the school year, I'm usually the only one saying the pledge. By May, they all are. With the Olympics in August, I hope be able to make a connection with the flag and the pledge with the award ceremonies and opening/closing ceremonies.

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I'm in a public school too. We say the US pledge, the Oklahoma pledge, a moment of silence and the school creed. Recognizing patriotic symbols are on our assessment list so I use our flags as part of that along with other pictures. I usually start with pledges and then add m-o-s and then creed later. However, I think the school will start doing all of it as a whole this year and I will re-think what we're doing.

12. LLW255

LLW255 New Member

Jul 28, 2008

We pledge the American flag, Christian flag and Bible...same as teacherkenny.

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Yay LLW255! :D

DOes anyone know if there is a pledge for all the states? I think I will google it, because we are studying MT history this year...just getting our toes wet, but still...that'd be cool to know...K, gonna go google it! Thanks for the heads up in that area! :)

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

:(couldn't find one...will look some tomorrow night. :)

15. Minimuscles

Minimuscles Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Pledge

I teach Integrated Early Childhood Special Education with 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds in Missouri. I have taught 12 years. I'm not requred to do it, but I have done the Pledge of Allegiance every year. Like someone else said, at the beginning of the year, my Para and I are the pretty much the only ones saying it but by the end of the year, everyone is. We teach them to put their right hand over their heart and to look at the flag. I have a small flag hanging on the wall. Everyday we have a flag helper. I take the flag down and the flag helper holds the flag while we say the Pledge. Even kids with speech problems or other delays learn to say it. The only thing is that I talk about the flag being very special, but it's still hard to make it meaningful for them. I need to look into those Scholastic books that someone recommended.

16. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I'm a middle school teacher, but I saw the topic and just wanted to read what other levels and schools did as far as The Pledge of Allegiance. We did not say the Pledge on a daily basis at my school and I felt that we should. After doing some reading, I learned that according to KY statutes, students can not be required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm not sure how this would work at your level, but if you are at a public school I would recommend finding out what your state statutes are regarding this.

17. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

ditto...texas public schools here too. We have to do the US and Texas pledges daily with our 4's. They do very well with it as pp's have stated. They don't have any clue what it all means but they like the routine of doing it.

18. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks for all the responses. We are a small Christian Preschool and I am the director/teacher, so unless the church had a problem with it I would be ok to start in the fall. I think I will and let our leader of the day hold the flag. I am interested in what the Christian Flag and Bible Pledge are for those who mentioned it...I have not heard of either.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

All my work has been in public schools. The first school I worked at (three years) they did the pledge, school pledge (this seems to be an odd Chicago thing- all schools have a school pledge), plus the singing of My Country Tis Of Thee. Most of the kids knew at least some of the stuff by the end of the year provided they showed up to school on time. Last year, the school did the announcements right as we were in the midst of breakfast- so we didn't bother.

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

We also have a school pledge at my school

21. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

We call our school pledge a school creed. Unless we are at Monday Takeoff or Friday Landing (we are the Thunderbirds) I do all these pledges in my room.

I start all of it by reciting a left/right poem I stole from someones website...sorry...can't remember who....

Left hand, left hand reach up high. (left hand reaches up)
    Right hand, right hand touch the sky. (right hand reaches up)
    Right hand, left hand round, round, round. (move hands in a circle)
    Left hand, right hand, pound, pound, pound (we tap our chests then say the pledges)

It was quicker for me to get the right hand(s) in the correct place than going to each child and then by the time you checked everyone the first ones had already wiggled.

22. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Christian Flag: I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose Kingdom it stands. One brotherhood, uniting all Christians in service and in love.

Bible: I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word; A lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path, it's words will I hide in my heart that I might not sin against God.

23. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

We say the American flag, then the Christian flag, then the Bible.

24. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks TeacherKenny! I'm surprised I never knew about those.

25. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

the pledge to the Christian flag as I learned it in Sunday School years ago is just a little different--

I pledge allegience to the Christian flag and to the Saviour for whose Kingdom it stands, one Saviour, Crucified, Risen and Coming again giving life and liberty to all who believe

I pledge allegience to the Bible, God's Holy Word. I will use it's words as a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and i will hide it's words in my heart that I might not sin against god

26. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

I remember singing "my country tis of thee" in Chicago. Things are way different in Wa. Not quite as much history.

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

My five-year old son's preschool said the pledge. This was a bit disconcerting, as his preschool was primarily comprised of non-US citizens (and, non-native English speakers -- and no, I'm not talking about illegal aliens, I mean visa holders).

US law doesn't allow absolutely forcing public school students to say the pledge ("required by law" applies to schools, not individual students). However, it does allow states to only except students from the pledge with a parental note, at least according to the 11th circuit (http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200614462.pdf -- I have some issues with the reasoning of the case).

I assume those of you reciting the Christian/Bible pledges are in private schools. Private schools can force their students to say whatever pledge they deem appropriate.

Beyond particular word choice (not taking up that argument at the moment), I think the pledge is treated a bit too lightly and taught without meaning or history. Young children have no real reason to be patriotic; to them they would be just as patriotic if raised in North Korea and told by their teachers and parents to be patriotic as in the US. I think they should only be saying the pledge after a certain amount of history and current events are taught, when they understand reasons why America is as good a country as it is.

28. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

29. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I teach all my 4 year olds the Texas Pledge and the Pledge of Allegiance. Along with "God Bless America", "This Land", "Grand Old Flag", "Deep in the Heart of Texas". It's part of our morning circle time. We also sing while we are transitioning to snack/lunch. We start it from day 1. I have also had them memorize the pre-amble to the constitution as part of our graduation ceremony. You can teach them anything as long as you do it repetatively.

30. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Wow, I would NEVER force anything on anyone....we say those pledges at our school because our school is a christian school and it opens doors to talk about missions, prayer, scripture memory, and why we have memory verses. It is not a "bad" thing. :(

31. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I feel that it is never to early for children to learn the Pledge of Allegiance.

32. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

same here. I also have them learn 3-4 patriotic songs as well throughout the year.

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

Yeah Texas! :2up:

34. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2008

I am with the 4's right now at a Private owned school for rich folks. I printed the Pledge of Allegiance on a BIG white poster board and I drew a picture of the flag on it. I have it posted right between the Manipulatives & Dramatic Centers. We do it every morning. I point to each word as they say it and it's made a lot of difference with the children. It has triggered a curiousity in printed language. Some of them want to do more writing of words as I sound them out. I've got 3 in there that are starting to read! Not to get away from the subject BUT the Pledge of Allegiance is a fun & cool time for our 4's. It helps ignite a curiosity in them about our Country and what it means to be an American. I've explained to them about how blessed they are to enjoy the freedom that some children in some countries can't enjoy; which included attending a nice and fun preschool and playing with which ever friend they wish to play with, etc. I put it in plain language that they understand. They don't need a History lesson to understand what fun is. The parents have mentioned how they enjoy hearing their children say the POA. I checked with the Director first about it and she didn't mind having the children recite it in the morning. Personally, I think it's GREAT to start early with the children learning the POA. Our class looks forward to reciting it in the morning and someone will remind me WHEN I forget to get it done.

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I never thought of that! :up:

36. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

Rebel1- I never thought of that either. We write out the words to everything else! What a great idea to make the POA a learning experience! Thanks!

37. Preschool Prof

Preschool Prof Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

REBEL 1 - That is a fantastic idea. I will try that this year with both the pledge and the pledge to the Christian Flag --

I too do not force my children to learn the pledges - but feel it is an honor to teach both of the pledges . We also have a different version -

I pledge allegiance to the cross, of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    And to the faith for which it stands, one Savior, eternal,
    with mercy and grace for all.

38. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I have both the Texas Pledge and the Pledge of Allegiance in print. I found really nice posters at one of the local teacher stores. I think it is important to teach both. It isn't about religion, it's about the freedom to choose your religion or not. I know that both have God in them and that's fine. What gets me is people who don't ALLOW or want their childrent to learn the Pledge of Allegiance. Most of them don't even know the history/story behind the flag and the US. I am a HUGE history buff (my minor is in History). I teach all my prek kids about the history of the flag and the meaning behind it. I do it 2 to 3 times a year; 4th of July, Patriot Day and President's Week. The history of our very young country should be important to everyone. Without people like Ben Franklin, George Washington, etc. we would never have had the opportunity to choose whether or not to pledge the flag... We would be singing "God Save the Queen".

39. CarolinaTeach

CarolinaTeach Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I teach 4's at a public school and we say the pledge every morning. At first the kiddos don't really get it, but by the end of year they love saying it. Their parents are usually pretty impressed to.

40. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

We do the pledge from day 1 also. I teach 4 year olds at a Church Dayschool. I read the book "The Pledge of Allegiance" from Scholastic Books, go over placing your right hand over your heart, and then we sing "The Flag Song". Our flag song is to the tune of "Yankee Doodle" and goes like this....
    "I love my flag. My country's flag. The red and white and blue. It has broad stripes and 50 stars and stands for freedom, too."

41. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Aug 4, 2008