Please watch and support our returning troops

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 101dalmatian, Apr 25, 2008.

1. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Apr 25, 2008

This was in our local paper today and as a wife of a soldier it is very disappointing to see our troops come home to conditions like this.

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=46vYZFU1Dew

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2008

I really want to see it but the link doesn't work. How did you find it, can you give us the search terms?

4. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Apr 25, 2008

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2008

I have known for years, as an army wife that Ft. Bragg is in horrible condition. I know that the family housing there is also in terrible condition, they were building more housing, but it wasn't at a fast enough pace to replace the poor quality houses before they became worse. The barracks there have been an open secret in the army for over 10 years. I first heard of those conditions in '93.

The treatment of our soldiers does not just apply to the living conditions they have after they come back to some bases, but also to how they are treated on some deployments. My husband deployed to provide security after 9/11 on 10/11. His company was the first Army Reserve unit to leave the state of MI. They went to Ft. Hood Texas. They were helping secure checkpoints on the way into the base were it was previously open for anyone to come and go. During that time my husband's company was given BAS (basic allotment for subsitance), but at a reduced rate they were to eat the the dining hall. However they were not allowed to have cars there for the longest time, the dining hall was a long way away (it was over a mile to the tornado shelter) and they worked shifts that were incompatable with the schedule dining hall meals. This lead to many of those soldiers going days without a decent meal. They couldn't even cook food where they were because the cook trailer didn't have the neccessary equiptment to cook with, like a stove or dishes. Several soldiers lost more than 40 lbs on this year long deployment. THEY WERE IN AMERICA! Most of the soldiers lived okay, due to the generosity of the local people who brought them food every day (and lawn chairs, beach umbrellas, whatever they needed to be comforable at those checkpoints)

The families were no better off. We were assigned primary care doctors as far away as an hour and half, in medicaid clinics that never had open appointments. Most of the medical expenses were denied saying the soldier was not deployed. Even emergency room visits and hospitializations were denied. This put many families in serious financial crisis, including me. Other covered benefits that we were denied outright, dental and eye care. Our pay was never correct, leaving us struggling to not only feed our families but save enough food for our soldiers to eat out when they could get a ride.

I finally went to a town meeting with my local congressman and the one from the area my husbands company is from. After their presentation on border security, I stood and told them everything. They were horrified. That is the reason the guys even got the cook trailer, but of course it never worked. I stayed on them, and the did what they could. That congressman remembers me to this day. There was even a small article in the newspaper about the lack of medical care for the families. Not enough changed.

My husband lives over an hour and half away from where he drills. According to military regulation they are to provide housing (a hotel) and at least two meals a day. He spends more than he makes to go to drill paying for gas, food and housing. This is on top of him having been just diagnosed with severe asthma which makes him undeployable. He is set to return to Iraq in the fall.

Ladies and gentleman, this is just the surface of how troops and their families are to deal with all the time. Even if you disagree with the war, don't take it out on the troops. Don't be like the people in Tacoma, WA who on the bridges over the highway that seperated the two main housing areas (and where every child on post had to go past to get to school) where protesters hung signs saying "I hope your daddy dies"

The whole situation disgusts me, and yes I will be in further contact with my congressman, right after I make sure they don't deploy someone diagnosed with PTSD, Asthma and who is 40 lbs overweight by Army standards doesn't depoly.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 27, 2008

This is terrible. I did not watch the video, but just from what was written here. So what do you think we can do about it?
    Write a letter to our state congress rep? But is there more that can be done? I was writing and sending care packages to troops I was assigned from soldiersangels- but as someone who knows- what would you advise me and others to do to help?

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2008

Write to your state and national representatives and get everyone else to. See, it has been this way for the army for YEARS before the Iraq War, so no one should assume one has to do with another. When the goverment cuts money from the Military budget where do you think they get that money from? Not building their pet project that costs a billion dollers, or taking away military contracts from companies that over charge (and the congressman own stocks in), no they take it from the troops. I am so cynical about congress I think 90% of them are crooks waiting for the next emergency bill (like Katerina relief) to stick billions of dollers of riders on to pay for their pet projects (yes, we have for many years studied the effect of cow burps and farts on the ozone layer) and they know that the bill would pass, because what congressman would vote against stuff like Katerina relief.

Write lots of letters, and make sure your congressman knows you are watching, and you expect their priorities to be on their consitutants not on their next re-election campaign