Please tell me why I will like teaching 4th grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by firecallie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. firecallie

firecallie Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

I have managed to freak myself out. I currently teach first and have been asked to move to 4th and I told my principal I would go where he needed me. Now i'm going nuts wondering what I did. Somebody please tell me what I will like about teaching 4th grade *departMENTALized* reading.

3. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Mar 12, 2007

They can read! LOL! I teach 4th and love it. The kids have a wonderful sense of humor and actually "get" your jokes. They still, for the most part, like school and their teacher. They are still little kids just in bigger bodies. They are responsible as well - you'll love it!

4. firecallie

firecallie Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

That is encouraging. And true, hopefully they can read...if not I guess I have the background to teach them. Thanks! I go from really optimistic to really pessimistic from one second to the other. I just think it is the fear of the unknown.

5. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Mar 12, 2007

Them being able to read is a big bonus, even if their finer comprehension skills need work.
    • They can read directions on the board
      They can generally write responses when needed.
    • They are less likely (although not entirely unlikely) to tattle all day.
      They blow their own noses and don't cry quite as easily as the little kids.
    • They can be so enthusiastic about independent work that makes them feel grown up, so try contracts and such.
      They usually can remember a few instructions such as get your book, read to page 36, answer these questions

6. jung

jung New Member

Mar 13, 2007

My favorite students are 4th and 5th. They can understand my jokes but still well behave. You will like it.

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Mar 13, 2007

They don't have accidents. They can tie their shoes. They can be quiet for more than 30 seconds at a time. They can zip their own coats. They might actually FOLLOW directions that you have written down... the list could go on and on.

Whew! I teach 2nd and I am constantly asking myself if I might like a higher grade.:eek: The little guys are cute, but there is something to be said for student independence.

8. Christina123

Christina123 New Member

Mar 13, 2007

I'm very partial to fourth grade for many reasons, but I've taught kindergarten, fifth, and sixth. I'm not sure what state you're in, but in California, the curriculum is quite good, and is a favorite for many teachers. This is the age when independent work really comes into play and should be structured and taught well right from the jump. Also, the books/novels that you can read to them at this age are just as fun for the teacher to read. While I liked the picture books and the adorable stories for the early primary years, Beverly Cleary, E.B. White, etc., are great authors to introduce the kids to. I suggest you get a copy of the fourth grade standards in your state, or some of their text books, and start getting inspired... you may be surprised at the ideas that you'll generate for next year. Good luck!

9. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 14, 2007

To me, fourth grade is the best grade in elementary. Most fourth grades already know how to read. Instead of learning to read, they are reading to learn. With reading, you will be able to do so many projects and good activities with them. I think you will love it.

Oh yeah, they still like the little cutesy stuff too.

10. firecallie

firecallie Rookie

Mar 14, 2007

I LOVE reading this. I am really starting to get excited instead of freaked out about the move. It's rough getting out of the comfort zone...but I do think in the long run i'll enjoy it. Thanks everyone!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2007

From a mom's perspective: (my son is currently in 3rd; his sister is in 1st)

The work is so much cooler!!! Brian is learning about pyramids and Lindbergh's flight and all sorts of wonderful stuff.