Please tell me they get more independent soon :)

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Sep 13, 2010

Wait until you start teaching first grade and give out a warm up. They aren't able to read very well yet, so I end up explaining the work about 5 times because the kids trickle in (7:45: walkers. 7:45 - 7:55 bus riders. 7:55 and beyond: late busses). it's a barrel of laughs :rolleyes:

2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2010

Yes, they'll get much more independent soon. By the time a couple of years have gone by, they'll be just about as independent as the fifth graders you're used to.;)

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

With third graders sometimes you have to go with rewards and consequences. I take off 5 points if they don't have their names and if someone forgets enough, I will have them miss recess so we can discuss a plan to help this problem. So it doesn't get to there, I have each person check their neighbor's paper. Mine sit in partners so it is easy to do. The thing that helped me the most on getting children to be independent is Fred Jones' book Tools for Teaching. To me it was worth more than all the other education books I've ever bought.

If you start rewarding children who are doing things correctly, you'll be amazed what 3rd graders really can do. Don't go overboard with rewards as they'll come to expect it for everything, but I find they show they really can do more than you ever imagine.

If you do everything right, they will still be 3rd graders. Third graders are less independent than 5th graders and always will be. I do find that if they know the routines, they'll eventually improve a lot in this area.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

tgim, I also am very strict about students talking while others are testing. I have a few who take quite a while and I'm constantly on the kids about not talking. Last week during our math test I had one student who was still working, however, the rest were getting restless and began to chat. I made the entire class write an apology letter to that one student explaining why they were talking. The students wrote very kind letters, as we went over being respectful to others and applying the same amount of respect to them as they were shown when they were testing.
    It worked well! This week they began to talk again so I think I am going to start having them move their colors. We're 5 weeks in now so it's time they know this by now.

5. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Nov 24, 2010

I'm glad it's not just me, I get frustrated when I repeat an instruction 3 times and still have kids asking what they need to do!

6. lyn

lyn New Member

Dec 5, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:

I am reading this thread with interest as next year, after 10 years of teaching grade 5/6, I am moving into grade 3/4. At the start of each year I get exasperated with the "babyish" grade 5s - at least for next year I'll be ready for the frustration before it hits! :party: