Please tell me they get more independent soon :)

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 28, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving 3rd grade, but coming from 5th, they're such babies to me! They ask me a million questions. They never write their name on their paper. They don't read my morning message on the board, etc. I'm patient with them and model, model, model, but they wear me out! :rolleyes:

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

Oh, I do miss my kids from last year that I sent off to third.

I forgot how young my second graders seem in August!

I use "now how can you solve your problem?" a LOT.

As in, "Mrs. Danny's Nanny, I spilled my water bottle!"
    "now how can you solve your problem?"

"Mrs. Danny's Nanny, my crayon fell on the floor!"

"Mrs. Danny's Nanny, my pencil broke!"

They look at me like I'm bonkers, but they usually figure it out on their own! ;)

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

:dizzy: The not reading morning message drives me CRAZY too!!

Seriously, it's up on the board with cute clip art, in large font.. READ IT!!!

"Mrs. W. what do we do with our homework?"

"Mrs. W. I have popscicle money. What do I do with it?"

"Mrs. W. what is morning work?"

To the above I (try to) calmly reply "The board will tell you what to do!" :) :) :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

However! I know that soon they'll come in and know what to do and remember the routine. :)

Something tells me that next week will be better routine wise for all of us!:love:

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

Give it about a month - seriously, they WILL get it, but it takes a lot of patience and repetition in structuring the day/routines.

6. missthepiano

missthepiano New Member

Aug 29, 2010

They'll get it! I don't reply to them when they ask questions now....I just point to the board.

7. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 31, 2010

You know what I've learned? The teacher helps makes children stop being co-dependent. It's all about training. You may need to go over the same things over and over, but they'll get it soon.

One of the biggest lessons I had was subbing for a kindergarten class where the students were VERY efficient. When I said it was time for centers, they knew EXACTLY what to do, which groups they were in, how to rotate, how to clean up everything at the signal, and made everything run smoothly. It was awesome.

Later, I subbed for a fifth grade class who was doing workstations. CHAOS! No one knew which groups they were in, what to do, what to do when they finished, when to rotate or anything else. I had to hold their hands through the whole process.

Another one of my favorite teachers to sub for teaches SECOND grade, which is not really one of my favorite levels because they are usually co-dependent. Her class always ran like clockwork, though! They were a lot better than some older grades I had.

I could see how practice and explicit training from the teacher makes a HUGE difference, regardless of the grade level. You can have an independent kindergarten class, or co-dependent high schoolers. It all depends.

I'd suggest starting with one or two particular practices a week (like what to do if you have a question, instead of immediately asking the teacher for help, etc) and focusing on changing their habits.

8. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

I've struggled with this too. I just try to remember that I had these very same feelings this time last year and yet I was so proud of the independence my former students went to 4th grade with (although I've heard they've regressed.)

I think this is when you crack out your First Days of School or any other "best practices" book and get down to the nitty-gritty. PROCEDURES. Today was the first day I didn't have to answer, "what is our homework?" and I was happy until... students showed me their empty planners 5 minutes before dismissal (oy, to the vey). They're getting there but it's not as smooth as I would hope for.

This week I'm really focusing on the, "I don't get it." I'm trying to ask students, "what part don't you understand." I'm noticing that they are more reluctant to run to me for help (they really just want the answer) because trying to communicate what they are "stuck" on is more work than digging in and trying to solve the problem.

Today we did a field study on rocks and I needed 5-minutes to set up (no afternoon plan time). I told students that in order to do the field study I needed 5 uninterrupted minutes to set up. If they had a question on their math paper, they could ask a neighbor or the "expert" which rotates daily. Nearly everyone understood except for one little soul, "but what if they don't know?" Mind you, this was an activity we go over as a class, everyday.

It does get better though!

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

Still modeling, still pointing to the morning message, still saying, "how can you solve your problem?" but they're still so helpless! :)

I dropped my pencil...
    Which one is my spelling notebook?...(the one that says spelling??) :lol:
    What time is lunch? (look at the posted schedule!)
    What does 'circle the correct answer' mean?
    What does 9/01/10 mean?
    Which line is the top of my notebook?
    Do I need to take home my workbook for pg. 3?
    :wow:

We'll get there! ;)

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

My favorite today was, "Do I need to turn in page 2 and 3?" (they're front and back of the same page.

I wanted to say, "No, only page 3." and see what they'd do. Instead, I just said, "yes, as I said both sides should be complete and turned in."

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2010

Or when you ask them to line up for morning recess, and they stack their chair and grab their backpack? "I thought it was time to go home!" Ummm... it's 10:30!

12. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

i was coming onto the board to post the exact same thing! i also moved from 5th to 3rd. they are so much more excited and chattier.

i am struggling with the same things as well as trying to get them to walk through the hallways in a line without getting distracted by every little thing.

any tips you guys have i can use, too!

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

We are getting there - but yesterday we had several issues with kids wanting to talk after they finished their reading and English tests - but others were still testing. I am very strict about this. If they talk/visit while others are testing, they move their behavior marker to the 3rd section and sit for all of lunch recess. I have one student who takes forever on tests, and the others were getting a little bored with their spelling wordsearch or independent reading. I moved them on to next week's spelling cursive practice (something I do each Friday so the words are introduced before Monday's pretest) to no avail. I ended up with 7 kids sitting on the curb at lunch recess. Nearly all were kids who have not even had to sit for 5 minutes before. They had to fill out a behavior reflection form and now have to get it signed.

I hope next Friday is better. I would rather nip it now, but don't want to have to do this each Friday. I think if there are any repeat offenders, they will write a paragraph explaining the rule of no talking when others are testing.

14. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

It's amazing how much they grow up by June! I always have to remind myself that they'll get there!

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2010

I've been using the "Read the board, please!" line since the first week of school (we're starting our 4th). Last week it really started to get better!

16. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Ahhhhhh, I'm only on day 2!!! And I moved UP from 2nd to 3rd. A LOT of my class is made up of students I had last year. I don't know why I was thinking they'd come in where they left last June. Dang, they lost a lot of stamina!!

17. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Sep 13, 2010

Wait until you start teaching first grade and give out a warm up. They aren't able to read very well yet, so I end up explaining the work about 5 times because the kids trickle in (7:45: walkers. 7:45 - 7:55 bus riders. 7:55 and beyond: late busses). it's a barrel of laughs :rolleyes:

18. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2010

Yes, they'll get much more independent soon. By the time a couple of years have gone by, they'll be just about as independent as the fifth graders you're used to.;)

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

With third graders sometimes you have to go with rewards and consequences. I take off 5 points if they don't have their names and if someone forgets enough, I will have them miss recess so we can discuss a plan to help this problem. So it doesn't get to there, I have each person check their neighbor's paper. Mine sit in partners so it is easy to do. The thing that helped me the most on getting children to be independent is Fred Jones' book Tools for Teaching. To me it was worth more than all the other education books I've ever bought.

If you start rewarding children who are doing things correctly, you'll be amazed what 3rd graders really can do. Don't go overboard with rewards as they'll come to expect it for everything, but I find they show they really can do more than you ever imagine.

If you do everything right, they will still be 3rd graders. Third graders are less independent than 5th graders and always will be. I do find that if they know the routines, they'll eventually improve a lot in this area.

20. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

tgim, I also am very strict about students talking while others are testing. I have a few who take quite a while and I'm constantly on the kids about not talking. Last week during our math test I had one student who was still working, however, the rest were getting restless and began to chat. I made the entire class write an apology letter to that one student explaining why they were talking. The students wrote very kind letters, as we went over being respectful to others and applying the same amount of respect to them as they were shown when they were testing.
    It worked well! This week they began to talk again so I think I am going to start having them move their colors. We're 5 weeks in now so it's time they know this by now.

21. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Nov 24, 2010

I'm glad it's not just me, I get frustrated when I repeat an instruction 3 times and still have kids asking what they need to do!

22. lyn

lyn New Member

Dec 5, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:

I am reading this thread with interest as next year, after 10 years of teaching grade 5/6, I am moving into grade 3/4. At the start of each year I get exasperated with the "babyish" grade 5s - at least for next year I'll be ready for the frustration before it hits! :party: