Please Tell Me Something Good!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TheConspiracy, May 18, 2006.

1. cheribam

cheribam New Member

Jan 14, 2007

Teaching is My Calling

when I was a little kid, I dream of becoming a doctor, a fighter pilot joining the Air Force and never thought of being a teacher when I was young.

During my high school, i don't know what I really want to be; but I decided to take up Bachelor of Arts in Psychology in college in a university. My friends and I took advanced subjects, never realizing that on our 4th year, we have to graduate after finishing the 1st semester. It was fun 'cuz we graduated college earlier than others expected. Then on the 2nd semester my friends and I decided to take units in Education ('cuz for us, learning is fun), and I took and passed the Licensure examinaton for Teachers (here in the Philippines) and thank God I passed. But I have no practice teaching like the others whose original course is BSEd.

My first teaching experience is in a private Catholic School... it is like a battle field for me in the first time because I have no practice teaching... I thought I'm gonna die because I feel that I am terrible.
    I resigned and applied for a new job as an Account Manager/Technical Support for US Website Builder which I just lasted for just 5 months, finding myself that I really really want to be a teacher...

It is a great, magical feeling for a 24-year old like me... now I am here again in the field of teaching (public school), where I can show and share my knowledge, my skills and talents to my students, and seeing them learn from me with enjoyment and absorbing the values from me. I found my happiness in TEACHING.

2. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 14, 2007

Our school is very heavy on respect. We use a character ed. program, give incentives and awards for positive behavior and a peace prize is offered annually in our community for adults and children.

Your club is making all the difference in the world! Kids need to be directly taught about good values and respect, just as much as they need to be taught their ABC's and 123's!

3. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jan 14, 2007

There is a big difference between teaching in a private school and an inner city public school. It is hard to get students to respect teachers when they show little respect for their parents and authority in general. Character programs are tough to implement when there is little or no support from home.

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 14, 2007

I don't teach in a private school or an inner city school. However, I am in a public school where some (not all) of the children need to be taught respect for others. Our community is diverse, and most families are well-off to moderate income level. Some of these kids are rude in that they walk right by without speaking or answering adults, yell at teachers and when observed with their parents, are walking all over them! And this kind of a program works for us.

I have to say, I haven't taught inner city kids since the 1970's, so I cannot speak to that. You are the authority on that, and from what I hear on the news, you have your hands more full than most. Thanks for reminding us that we are all in different places as we teach!

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2007

Something good about teaching? KIDS! They are the best thing about it. If you treat them well they will give it back in spades.
    If they KNOW you care they will do the things you need them to do.
    It won't always be perfect but I cant think of a better job.

6. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Jan 15, 2007

That goes for inner-city schools all the way to private schools.