Please tell me I'm not overreacting...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Jan 21, 2010.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

My P pulled a really crappy stunt yesterday and I am so peeved!

Our school had an assembly yesterday afternoon. It didn't end until 5 minutes before the students were to be dismissed from school (at then end of the day). So after the assembly, our P thanks the students for being attentive and then says, "And no homework tonight!" and then leaves the gym!!!! None of the teachers were told about this so we were all looking at each other like, "Seriously? Did he really just say that??" And the kids (I teach middle school) were all over the place shouting and giving each other high fives and asking us if we still had our test tomorrow and if our math homework was still due, etc. I was beyond pissed! It was a total cluster. So I told them I guess they didn't have to do anything that was assigned today.

So this morning, all the teachers get an email from the P saying that as principal, he's allowed to make executive decisions, which is what he did yesterday. And then he said, and I quote, "Remember...the number one rule about being a teacher is flexibility." There was no apology for the lack of communication or anything saying he understood why it was frustrating for us as teachers.

So I went in this morning to talk to him about it and as soon as I walked in the room, he tensed up and got defensive (so I'm sure he heard that we weren't happy). I was nice, but let him know that I would have really appreciated a heads up so I didn't end up looking like an idiot in front of my class. His response: "You need to realize that teaching is about going with the flow and being flexible. It happened to me as a teacher and it's no big deal. It's done and over with. Realize that these things happen and there's nothing you can do about it."

Unbelievable. I want to punch my P in the face right now and it's taking everything I have to paste a smile on my face and "move on".

Would you be irritated if this happened to you? Or is my P right - this is just a part of teaching and I have to get over it?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I can see where you would be upset. I think he could have at least emailed all the teachers to give you a heads up...that is being flexible. With only 5 mins left of the day that must have been really fun.

That's fine about exectutive decisions, but even most decisions people have a little hint as to what is coming.

I guess the next time he leads a assembly, I would have something of some sort of review sheet or something so if he cancels it, it won't be a big deal.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

OMG! I've never heard of principal doing such a stupid thing!!! He was WAAAAY out of line!

I don't know why he said what he did - maybe it was spur of the moment and he just slipped up. Or, maybe he was trying to be the "cool guy" to the students.

But, he messed up BIG time. I think he realized later that he messed up and that's why he made up his PITIFUL excuse and sent it out in an email.

Instead of admitting he made a mistake, this jerk is trying to push the blame onto the teachers by saying they should be "flexible." WEAK!!!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Wow. I think it's crazy. Homework should have a purpose, so it's not arbitrarily assigned. If it's assigned for a reason, then just canceling it on a whim is extremely rude to teachers. What if major projects were due the next day?? Unbelievable.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I think he did the wrong thing. Unfortunately, I also think that you're stuck with the clean-up from his mess of an executive decision. :(

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

I would have been very irritated, but I would've told the kids that the homework assigned for that night would be due in two days instead of the following day. I would do this even if I didn't have the kids until the next day.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

That's what I would have done as well.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

:yeahthat:

And I also agree he's in the wrong. He needs to apologize instead of lashing out because he caught flack for a bad decision.

10. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I don't agree with what he did persay, but I kind of agree with how he did it. The kids behaved and he rewarded them. If he told the teachers, you wouldn't have assigned any homework. What if they misbehaved? How is that a reward? I would be annoyed, but I wouldn't say anything, because he sounds very my way or the high way. He doesn't seem like he will change. I would be annoyed, but let it go. It's a one time thing.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I don't agree that homework should be used as a reward or punishment. If homework that is assigned is so frivolous that it can be done away with on a whim, then it shouldn't be assigned at all. If the principal really thinks his teachers are assigning such busy work each night that he could simply declare it null and void on a whim, he should probably hold an in service about what effective homework and assessment looks like.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 21, 2010

Exactly. I agree.

13. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

I can imagine that the mess of that announcement followed the students home. I wonder how many parents believed that the principal actually canceled homework?

I completely agree with that Jem said on both of her points. However, a little spontaneity never hurt anyone.

If nothing else, it'll be a day students will remember!

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

The only problem is that his response of "Realize these things happen and there's nothing you can do about it" sounds like the guy is on a power trip now that he is the P and I'm afraid the teachers there can expect more executive decisions that require them to be flexible. Since he claims it was done to him as a teach, it seems he is looking for some "payback" by putting his own teachers through the same thing.

Is T4E overreacting? Not at all (IMO, of course), but I guess this is just part of the job sometimes. It isn't fair, but I'm not sure what recourse the teachers might have if the P is determined to go around showing off his executive decision muscles. :unsure:

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2010

I guess I've been teaching for so long and experienced so many crazy things that it wouldn't have bothered me very much. I would have just told the kids to enjoy their free night and please do the homework the next night.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

The Bishop has been known to do that when he visits, and it doesn't always earn him any friends on the faculty.

But there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it. Big picture: it's one night's homework out of 180.

Smile, tell the kids to enjoy their night off, and revamp your plans to include more drill tomorrow. Life goes on.