Please talk me out of my guilt!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jeky, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Oct 3, 2013

Since the school year started, I have been busting my butt to adapt the Common Core to my classroom without a district-adopted curriculum. I have put in lots of hours designing, assessing, and re-writing lessons. I am also on a couple of different committees and have continued to take on a leadership role at my school. The past 4 weekends at home have been extremely busy as well with family obligations and birthday parties. I have relatives coming to stay this weekend and I have not had a chance to run errands or clean my house in over a month. I am physicallt and mentally exhausted. Oh and I'm five months pregnant.

So I decided to call in a sub for tomorrow (Friday), just to see if it got picked up. It did, and here I am feeling extremely guilty for deserting my kids for what basically amounts to a mental health day. I seriously can't shake this awful feeling and am considering calling off my sub and going in anyways tomorrow.

Please talk me out of it!!!!:(

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Oct 3, 2013

Mental health days are extremely important. TAKE the darn day for yourself!!! If you were your best friend, what would you tell yourself? Probably to take the day - right? You aren't deserting your kids, you're recharging for the next time you see them. And, being pregnant you definitely need to be taking care of yourself. TAKE THE DAY OFF!

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 3, 2013

Only bad teachers take a sick day when they aren't sick! You should be ashamed of yourself! (CALM DOWN, PEOPLE, I AM TOTALLY KIDDING!)

I signed up for a conference in November solely because I wanted the two days off of school. :blush: I felt really bad too! But, I have been asked the past 3 years if I wanted to go, and I always declined. But, this time, I ACCEPTED. I really don't even totally know what is going to be discussed. All I know is I get to stay in a hotel for 2 days, and RELAX!

My only concern for you is whether you will enjoy your day/and or weekend once you take this day. It sounds like you will be worried about not going to school anyway. It might give you more piece of mind just to go in.

If you do stay home, get lots of ice cream, and a good movie or book.

Let us know how it turns out.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2013

Do. Not. Feel. Guilty.

Besides, you're pregnant. You get a pass, no question. ;)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2013

Self-care is important, especially now that you're pregnant.

Teachers who are relaxed and happy are better teachers than ones who are stressed, frazzled, and unhappy. This mental health day is as much a benefit to your students as it is to you.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2013

Our P tells us that we need balance in our lives...he always tells people to enjoy time off to spend with family. Your students will survive this day off without you, and you will have more energy to deal with them. Have a good weekend.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 4, 2013

My principal is 100% supportive of mental health days. I have asked for them and take them guilt free. The first one I ever took I was feeling guilty, too, until my sub said, "I'd LOVE to come in for you. I love your class!" I thought, "Oh good - they need someone who can love them tomorrow and I can't."

Enjoy your day! Relax so you can be effective on Monday.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2013

Don't feel guilty!!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

Re-establish your boundaries. Work is one thing, life is another thing. You don't need to feel guilty! You get to have a life.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

I take 1 or 2 MHD every year. I think most teachers do! It's fine!!

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2013

Did you take off? Did you enjoy your day?