Please suggest text books to help me clear CSET General Science Subtest 1- 215 .

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Debashri, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Debashri

Debashri Rookie

Dec 12, 2017

1)Can anyone suggest some text books which can help me clear CSET Foundational Level General Science Subtest1 - 215. (particularly physics, chemistry, geological science and most importantly in Scientific practices Engineering design and application, Cross cutting concepts).
    I have done BS(H) and MS in Zoology(Bioscience) but i didn't have Physics or chemistry or geological science in Bachelors or Masters level.

2)I also want to know if there is any text book or free study material site which will fully cover Scientific practices Engineering design and application, Cross cutting concepts.I am totally clueless about this portion.

3)I have heard about Conceptual Physical Science by Paul Hewitt, John Suchocki, and Leslie Hewitt for physical and geological science Is it enough to prepare for Physics, Chemistry, Geological sciences and astronomy?

4)I have heard about The Unity and Diversity of Life, and Campbell/Reece's Biology. Is it enough to cover the biology portion?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2017

Are you taking Science Subtest I for the first time, Debashri?

4. Debashri

Debashri Rookie

Dec 12, 2017

Yes I will be taking it for first time. Can you suggest some Text books ?

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 12, 2017

I studied for some of it using just my college textbooks (nothing special, typical college textbooks). What I didn't have textbooks for or I needed more reinforcement with, I just found good sources online like Wikipedia, or I read For Dummies books (which you can get from your library).

The only thing I specifically went out and got a book for was the stuff on weather, since few textbooks really cover it unless you specifically studied climatology, and I had never formally learned it. The Peterson First Guide to Clouds and Weather were really helpful in shoring up my knowledge on how clouds form, how to read pressure maps, etc.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 12, 2017

As for the science practices and cross-cutting concepts, I highly recommend http://ngss.nsta.org. Go to The Standards Tab, and look at the items on the right menu. There should be pages for both cross cutting concepts and science practices and such. Familiarize yourself with them. That wasn't on the CSET when I took it though because the NGSS wasn't yet out.

7. Debashri

Debashri Rookie

Dec 12, 2017

Thanks Peregrin5. Actually i have done my Bachelors and Masters around 14 years ago in India. I have left all my books and notes in my country and probably they are misplaced by now. If you can suggest some text books to me which i can find here in USA and will not be very expensive...that would be great...:). Moreover i didn't have Chemistry, Physics, Geology and Scientific Practices and Engineering etc in my Bachelors or Masters level.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 13, 2017

CK-12.org has free online textbooks that might be helpful for reviewing what students would need to know. Other than that, I would again just go to your local library and ask the librarian for books on the topics you'd like to learn about. The CSET is for pretty general science, so a general overview book like the "Idiot's guide to..." or "For Dummies..." or "... Demystified" books are probably all good enough. And they likely have textbooks for borrowing as well.

They key with studying for the CSETS is to use the standards they give you and use that as a launching point for research or review.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Debashri

Debashri Rookie

Dec 13, 2017

Thanks Peregrin5.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2017

Let me second Peregrin's recommendations. You could also look for textbook-sized books from the likes of DK (Dorling Kindersley) or Usborne. You can also find science resources on Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

Don't forget to consult, along with California's content standards, the frameworks document; both can be downloaded for free from www.cde.ca.gov.