Please share your organization ideas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandateaches, Jul 21, 2017.

1. mandateaches

mandateaches New Member

Jul 21, 2017

Hello,
    I am a 6th grade math teacher preparing to start my 2nd year of teaching. I have students keep a warm up notebook in my class room. Last year, these just got thrown on shelves sorted by class. This was quite messy and resulted in a book shelf social at the beginning of each class. I have considered just making students keep up with the notebooks but 6th graders struggle to keep up with their binders and they are not allowed to carry their book bags during the day, so we like to limit what they need to carry around. I want to know what you all are using to organize student materials such as warm up books, work books, interactive note books, etc.
    Thank you!

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 21, 2017

That can definitely be a challenge. Here are some ideas. Not saying any of them is a magic fix!
    - Keep the notebooks for each class in a box/crate. Between periods, stick the box for the next period in the hallway right outside the door. Teach the procedure for students to pick up their notebook on the way into the classroom. This will probably just transfer the socializing from your shelves to the hallway, but depending on your feelings on socialization between class periods, that can be considered an improvement.
    - Assign 1-2 students to distribute and collect notebooks for the whole class.
    - Gather and distribute notebooks by row, column, or table group instead of for the whole class. Keep them in drawers of a plastic storage unit or something else easy to grab from. The first student in each group to arrive grabs the bag/stack for their group.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    otterpop and mandateaches like this.
  4. mandateaches

mandateaches New Member

Jul 21, 2017

Thank you! A friend donated a 3x3 cube shelving system, so I think I will try out your third suggestion. My students sit in groups, so this should be fairly easy to maintain as long as I teach them the procedure.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2017

I zip-tied two crates on top of each other and place them at each group of desks. I have plastic magazine holders inside them to separate classes. If you have more than four classes, this might not work for you.

6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 22, 2017

I now use binders and have students keep everything in their binders. They aren't allowed to leave the binders in my room (unless they have a specific issue.) We have a small notebook that they keep in their binder in one of those clear plastic things. I am a real stickler that they keep their name on everything because from time to time, these notebooks do get misplaced.

I used to have kids keep stuff in my room. It was a mess. I did have a student who would organize the shelves, but it got to be overwhelming. I have five classes, plus a group I tutor, so I also started to run out of space.

7. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 22, 2017

How many classes do you teach? Maybe you could get a book shelf and each shelf is for a different class.

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 24, 2017

Sounds like a plan! Teach the procedure early and often... let us know how it goes!