Please share your experiences!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs.N, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Jun 20, 2006

I'm wondering when do new teachers or teachers get to find out their school's curriculum, school's procedures, daily schedule, class's list (students' names), etc..for the new year? I'm frustrating because I haven't even get to see my room yet! My school is having a summer school this year so I can't check out my room or what's in it just yet and I'm not sure If they'll be open after summer school. Since this is my first year of teaching, I'm afraid I won't be able to have enough time to set up my room with centers and all that great stuff. I'm planning my lessons, come up with my behavior plan, etc..but i'm worrying that I will not have enough time to take care of things. At my school, everything is changing this year so noone really knows what will happen! Please share your experience!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006

Eeek. Hopefully someone will let you in SSOOON! Keep on them about it. We let our new teachers in as soon as possible and give them the books, curriculum, etc. to look at as soon as they've signed a contract.

Is there a contact teacher you can ask? Can you access a school website for curriculum? A school secretary? Someone....

4. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Jun 20, 2006

I've contacted one of the teachers but like I said my school is changing everything this year i.e. putting in new rooms, hire new teachers, so I guess things will not be the same or so I've heard. I've tried to search for our school's curriculum but I can't find any. I guess one last thing I have to do is to call my school secretary to ask if i can come up there the very last day of summer school and check out my stuff. Sigh! I just don't know what else to do.:confused:

5. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 20, 2006

I didn't get to get into my room until 1 week before school started...talk about being stressed out! If that does happen, don't worry too much, you'll be surprised what you can get done when you have to :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2006

Some of the things you mentioned are in flux, or not done yet in most schools... class lists, teacher schedules, etc.

The things that remain constant from one year to the next-- school procedures, curriculum, textbooks-- in a "normal" setting you would have already. (I picked mine up yesterday when I signed my contract.) But with your school in the midst of so much change, I can see that it might all take a while.

You're approaching it correctly: for now worry about what you'll teach and how you'll approach the kids. Even if you only get a day or so to set up, you can probably round up a friend or two to help you get everything together for the start of school.

7. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 21, 2006

I went through a similar experience when I started 8 years ago. The school I was hired at had just built a new elementary wing and when I was hired I only knew where my room would be but it was no where close to being done. I was able to get into the school about 2 weeks before school started.

It's good that you've made contact with another teacher!

Also, relax. I found that the best part about starting when there were new rooms etc was that even the teachers that had been there the longest felt like newbies because there was so much change. That was comforting for me to know. We all figured out the new procedures and such together.

Enjoy!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2006

I can imagine your stress because many of us spend a lot of time in our room in the summer. I would suggest focusing on what you can do out of school: behavior plan, opening letter to students and parents, decide the logistics of your class (homework turn in, pencil sharpening, etc), helper positions, work on activities for first few days, etc. You probably could also plan some bulletin boards and buy or make the necessary items. Depending on when your Open House is and how old your students are, they can help do a lot of the decorating and planning.
    Can you scoot up to school and just check out the room some afternoon as summer school is being let out for the day? Also, several teachers have posted pictures on A to Z of their class, that may help you get some ideas. Good luck and keep us posted!

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 21, 2006

I'm also in Tx- Dallas area, where are you? What grade will you be teaching? It is pretty common practice around here in the urban districts to not let anybody into the school during the summer. Our campus has summer school during the month of June, then it's closed the whole month of July and the principal is on vacation. The principals in our district return the last week of July and then they have "principal camp" where they go on a retreat of some sort for several days so the building is still closed. There also cleaning crews that come into the schools during July and do deep cleaning (steaming carpets, waxing floors etc) and that is another reason nobody is allowed inside. Typically the secretary's first day back on the job is my first day too ;)

The teacher that occupied your class this past school year may be teaching summer school and still be in her room so you may not be able to see it anyway.

We don't get our class lists until a day or two before school starts if we're lucky in the urban districts.

When teacher contracts start in August most districts typically have 3-5 days of "in-service" before the students arrive and that is when you will find out all the info about curriculum, procedures, schedules etc. In the large, urban districts we have huge numbers of new teachers each year and that is why all this info is distributed all at once during the in-service days, it would be too overwhelming to do it individually with each new teacher.

Are there any trainings that you have to take this summer as a "newbie"? Our district always has a "new teacher institute" for several days in July. That is where you will typically meet lots of other teachers who are in the same school or grade as you are and you can share ideas and ask questions of each other.

I would advise you to take time this summer to rest and relax :) and then be prepared to work long hours and weekends the beginning of August to get ready, that's what most teachers around here do since we can't get into our buildings.

Things may be different in a rural area though, that's why it all depends on where you are located- rural vs. urban.

10. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2006

We get our classlist, curriculum, books etc the week before the kids arrive. We just use our states standards for our curr. and its divided into four 9 weeks so I already have that.

11. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Vannapk, I'll be teaching 1st grade in Garland. I'm praying that I will not have to have all those info. during our 'in-service' time but I guess I'll have to wait until then. We have a 2 days teacher orientation in August and that's when we get our training and report back to our home campus, and after that is our 1 week prep. before school starts. The school district is so new to me, and I'm also in the midst of looking for a place in Ga., so that I don't have to go through a 1 hr commute every morning and afternoon.
    Ctopher, you are so right! The only good part is that I don't have to be the only one who's going through this. The teacher that I've contacted is my next year roomate and she said we're on the same boat, it makes me feel a little bit better but she has more than 15 years of experience to cope, I'll have to make it somehow :)

12. teacherbecky

teacherbecky Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I am starting a new job this year at a new school and they are having summer school as well so I know how you feel. Talk to your principal about seeing if you can come in a few weeks before school starts to check out things and see if you can borrow some of the teaching materials to look at before school starts. A great book to check out is Harry Wong's The First Days of School. If all else fails most schools have some type of orientation for new teachers and then most schools have a back to school or teacher days before school starts. Again the best thing is to talk to your principal. For how to set up your room or anything like that see if you can talk to other teachers that will be teaching the same grade as you at your school. Hope this helps you out!

13. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Jun 22, 2006

Mrs. N, I am in the same boat as you I am from NJ and i got hired in May to teach 2nd grade in McDonough, GA and i havent seen my room yet or any of the other things you mentioned. I just bought a house there, and i am moving down July 10, but cant move into my house till the 13th, then we have a week of orientation starting the 17th-21, school starts Aug 3 so i am kinda stressed too. The only i have been doing is planning things out, i am hoping i will have enough time to set up my classroom. UGH! Oh well i just keep telling myself it will all be worth it =)

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2006

Well, perhaps you can look at other neighboring districts or even your state department site for standards, etc. I guess you could come up with all of the nuts and bolts for your room and do minor changes if you have to once you find out about school procedures. If I were you, I would plan everything and then when I get to school finally, I would do minor shifts ..maybe that will help ease your anxiety.....

15. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Jun 22, 2006

Thanks, thats what i am thinking i have been planning, but i havent really bought anything for the room yet. I am waiting till i move to GA i know they have a big teacher store near where my home is so.

16. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

"A great book to check out is Harry Wong's The First Days of School." I'm reading this book, and other teaching books for the 3rd times now. I've bought posters, work books, and stuff that I know I'd need already. I'm working on a handbook to give to the parents and some minor things. Also, I'm kind of nervous about setting up the centers myself for the first time. I'm doing some research on how to set up the centers, too. I think I'm pretty set, it's just that I have all this time to myself and I can't prepare my room sooner and get to know the teacher materials faster are just killing me. I'll be all right! :)

17. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I hear you, its killing me too. What kind of handbook are you making i need to do that also but i am trying to ideas on how to do it. I dont know really know any of the school procedures or anything. I can see once i get there i am going to be up late trying to get things together

18. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 22, 2006

Take a deep breath.

Many of the things that you're worried about aren't even "done" yet. You will get TONS of info during pre-planning.

It will be OK. Really. Just smile, relax and enjoy your first year!

Kelly :)

19. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I hope your right!

20. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I hope your right