Please share this to make a better world...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 12, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

A friend linked this on Facebook today. I, for one, plan to use this strategy. It's brilliant;

http://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/30/share-schools/

Please share with others. If all teachers did this, we'd make a better world. Which is why we are teachers in the first place, right?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2014

Love it...I'm a kid watcher...more than anything else we teach, it's the immeasureables...empathy, compassion, belonging...that are most impactful.
    Shared on fb.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

I love this! I'm mathematical minded. I also have ADD. If I don't write something down, I often forget- at least for a few days. (It usually comes back around.)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2014

Oh my gosh. Bless her. What a beautiful thing. Thank you.

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

When I was in college 25 years ago, we had to go into a classroom and have students fill out a similiar questionnaire. We then made it into a sociogram. It was a visual that showed the "popular core" and those who no one chose. Our professors referred to them as "islands" since they were alone on the sociogram. I always look for my "islands".

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2014

This is great! I read about other teachers doing this regularly in their classrooms to find out who needed more from the classroom community. I like this idea but I don't know how I would have the time to go through all those slips of paper and look for a pattern every week. IT's a great way, however, to possibly do periodic checks of the classroom dynamics. Thanks again!

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

I also remember learning about the sociogram. What I don't recall learning is what to do with the information. What do you do about the kid being ignored in your classroom? It doesn't usually even take this much research to notice who "that kid" is -- but what do you do to help him/her? Pair them up with outgoing kids? Give them a leadership role? I tried all of the above with one kid in particular last year but saw only minimal results. I hope at least making the effort was better than nothing.

Any better ideas as to help integrate a socially isolated child? Especially one who at least appears to prefer self-isolating?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing!

10. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Very interesting. I've heard of seven up being a way to identify cheaters, but I've never really thought of this. I'll try to make some sort of variation with this. Usually I can tell who is not recognized by the classroom chatter, but this would help recognition from me.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2014

Great post! Thanks for sharing this site.