please share icebreakers with me....first day back

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pigger, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Aug 12, 2007

looking for different icebreakers.....

i am familiar with.....
    going on a class picnic....my name is erica and i'm going to bring eggplant....go around in a circle....repeating those that have already gone....
    famous couples/disney couples/pairs......post-it notes on their back, they have to match themselves to their pair, using yes/no questions......am i a male or female? president?
    and the m and m game....take a handful....each brown m&m means share something about you, blue/your family, red/place you would like to visit....if i did this, i think i would limit the number, or i'll be there all year listening.
    and the string one....sit in a circle, toss a ball of string to someone, they pass, everyone passes.......and when they receive it, they hold on, share something (name/interesting fact).....teach teambuilding....someone lets go of the web and the web is broken.....you as a class are working together, we are here for each other, etc....

any others....
    i teach third grade.

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I've seen an "Info Seek" done before. I haven't done it as it requires reading, this year I'm going to try it with a picture oriented version...
    Each child gets a survey. Students mingle and collect answers from classmates. (They can only get one answer from each person they "interview") At the end of the time (you determine) bring group together and read one question at a time asking for a few volunteers to share their answers.
    Example questions: Find a person that has older brothers, was born in the summer, has two pets, walks to school, etc.
    Later in the year the questions can be changed to academic topics. Ex: name a food that has carbohydrates, name a river in the U.S., etc.
    I have seen that even the shy students get more involved because they are sharing about someone else, not themselves. And someone else gets to speak for them.

4. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I've heard about two activities that are good community building techniques.

Get a small tube of toothpaste and squirt it onto a paper plate. Then ask for a volunteer to come up and their job is to put the toothpaste back into the tube. They can ask for help from a friend, they can use tools, whatever they want to do. Of course, you can never get ALL of the toothpaste back in - there will be residue left on the plate, and if they've used anything to cut the tube with to get the toothpaste back in, they've made it un-usable again. The point is to show that when we say hurtful things to people, and then apologize for it, it still leaves some residue, and things aren't quite the same as they were before. Yes, it's better to apologize when you've said something hurtful, but it's even better to not say it at all.

The other is to dress up like a doctor (since I don't have a lab coat or anything I made a stethoscope out of paper and hung it around my neck and taped a piece of paper over my name on my badge that says Dr. Benson). Pre-make index cards with different ailments on them...headache, broken arm, flu, measles, stubbed toe, etc. and hand one out to each student. Now go around and give each student two "aspirin" (m and m's or skittles) and say to them "take two of these and call me in the morning". Now ask, "does two aspirin fix everyone's problems?" Yes, it works for the kid with the headache, but what about the broken arm? measles? This is to show them that not every person is the same, and we all need different treatment sometimes. It helps them to understand that "fair" and "equitable" are two different things. It helps to reduce a lot of the "that's not fair!" kids when you'll need to do something different for one of your student's needs.

5. missdq

missdq Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

lots of great ideas here. just reading them gave me an idea. i work in a small school with only one class per grade. so my students basically know each other already, as do I, kind of. (unfortunately its the bad ones u usually hear about)

i'm thinking of writing each student's name on an index card and randomly placing them on students' backs. Then each kid will have to ask yes or no questions to figure out which classmate they have. then once they've discovered their hidden identity i will give them time to interview that student.

hope u all understand what im trying to say. i'm just scared it might take too long, but i think it could really be fun. what do u guys think??

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2007

QueenB- I love the doctor thing! I have never heard of that before!
    missdq, I think your game will work well, and I don't think it would take too much time...and if it starts getting long, you could give extra clues to help!
    Other than these ideas, I have heard of students getting into groups (you can pick teams- as many as you want), give them a piece of paper and a pencil, and have them make a list- either as many verbs, nouns, adjectives they can think of, shapes, words that start with "C"...anything...they have to work as a team and it's kind of a diagnostic tool to see where they are at.
    Also a treasure hunt- finding things around the room with a team using clues, gets them used to the room and some of the other students...
    I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do I'll post again. I'm sure you get lots more good ideas!

7. Miss D 530

Miss D 530 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

An activity I used last year that worked well was having the children take a paper cup and draw three things on it that represented themselves. They went up one at a time and presented their cups, and after each child finished, he/she added their cup to a pyramid of cups on the front table. Once everyone was completed we discussed how the pyramid represents our class family, and how it's important to support one another, cooperate, be a team, etc.. because when one person doesn't (remove a cup from the center, the pyramid will fall) it affects our whole class. It was a great ice breaker and a cute mini lesson on teamwork.

8. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

This year at open house I am going to give them a "homework bag" that has the following written on it:

"I know I'm really neat,
    but I don't like to brag.
    All you have to do,
    is look inside this bag!"

"Fill this bag with three items that best describes you and bring it to school on the first day to share."

On the first day of school we will share our bags (brown lunch bags) and get to know each other. We might even make it a memory bag (try and remember one thing in each person's bag). I will do one as well. If someone doesn't come to open house then they will get the bag on the first day of school and share the following day

I have never done this before but it sounds like fun! :)

9. classemom

classemom Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I love the poem...I was wanting to do something like this, but didn't have a poem or have it all figured out...so thanks for sharing! It will be great!! :)