Please review my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms.Blank, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Please help! I'm not sure if this is "good" or not. I feel like it looks kind of boring, but I have it laid out this way because most examples of resumes that I see just stress me out. I have OCD and I just can't handle when things are everywhere! I've gotten a few interviews with it, but I feel that since I'm applying for bigger positions, I need to have some new eyes check it out. Thanks!

*edit* I updated my resume based on the suggestions I was given, so I removed my original here. Thank you! :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

teaching assistant should be listed under job experience, not extracurricular

Do you have a student teaching placement that could be listed?

You need to put teaching experience forefront...

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Teaching assistant needs to go under jobs. This will give you 2 education related jobs, which is better than what you have now. And it's not extracurricular activity - even if you didn't get paid, list it under the jobs.

Your resume is not boring - you don't have a lot of exciting things to put on it yet, but you can make a difference with an excellent cover letter.

Why didn't you post your student teaching experience? Def. put it on.

When I got my current job, the only jobs I had on my resume were subbing for 2 years, student teaching, and I think I still had the part time classroom assistant at an ind. study school (I may have had taken it off due to space)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

Nice formatting, bros...the OP should list her ST placement as you did and as I suggested under work experience.
    I would also prominently feature the subbing experience and gymnastics teaching. You might also consider posting your cover for tweaking..covers and resumes get you the interview. Interviews and demos get you the job.

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!

I haven't done student teaching yet, so that's why it's not on there. Right now I'm applying for additional districts to sub.

You see, I wasn't sure where teaching assistant should go, since I didn't get paid for it (I got units for it, instead). I felt like I would be lying if I put it under jobs for this reason. Am I being paranoid? *edit* I see Linguist said to put it under jobs anyway...ok, I'll move it! :)

The reason I have that second job in there (the receptionist position) is because not only does it account for a large gap that I would have on there otherwise, but one of my best letters of rec comes from my supervisor there, so I felt it had to stay on the resume, even though it doesn't relate to teaching.

bros, thanks for sharing your resume! I like how you shared with a google doc...why didn't I think of that, lol!

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Cover letters get them to look at your resume. Resumes get them to call you for interview. You interview will get you a second interview, a demo lesson or the job itself.
    Always look at what it's supposed to do. So resumes might sound boring, but they're not, they're listing facts.
    Cover letters should be the opposite, they should tell them who you are as a teacher, and make them want to hear the facts :)

9. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Thank you so much!!

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Don't list it as jobs. List it as Classroom Experience, that's what I did. This way you can list volunteer, paid or unpaid jobs.

11. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

That makes MUCH more sense. Thank you! I'm off to revise!