PLEASE review my cover letter! Thanks! :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by melissavio, Jul 13, 2012.

1. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

July 13, 2012

Mr. Greg _______
    2505 _______ Lane
    _______, VA ________

Dear Mr. ________:
    Hello, my name is Melissa ________ and I am writing to apply for the Social Studies teacher position you have available at Thoreau Middle School for the 2012-2013 term. I am a New York State certified Social Studies teacher for grades 7-12 with a Master’s degree in Secondary Social Studies Education 5-12. While I am certified in NY, I am very interested and eager to relocate to the Virginia area. At this time, I’m currently taking the required steps to become certified in Virginia. In reading the mission of Thoreau Middle School, I can already envision myself as a part of the team. To me, Thoreau Middle School represents a Professional Learning Community that strives to guide students into achieving high excellence every day. I am particularly drawn to Thoreau Middle School for its focus on research-based practices, extracurricular programs, and the fact that the faculty and staff go the extra mile for students through programs such as Time to Soar and through high goals as seen on the School Improvement Plan. I am looking to become a part of a team that is passionate about educating students to become life-long learners, and I believe Thoreau Middle School can provide that team.
    My education and experience have allowed me to become the type of teacher I believe you would be proud to call a faculty member at Thoreau Middle School. I received a Bachelor’s degree in History from the University at Buffalo, where I took numerous courses in all of the social science areas. I also received my Master's in Social Studies Education from UB. My education allowed me several hands on learning experiences that have prepared me to become an effective teacher, including a thesis project where I implemented a two week long differentiated unit plan in an 8th grade classroom. That experience accentuated my own beliefs that differentiation and personalizing education are incredible necessities if we are to guide students to achieve their full potential. This thesis project also gave me practical experience developing relevant assessments that inform my every day teaching. As a student teacher, I taught 8th grade Social Studies, 9th grade Global Studies, and 11th grade US History in both a suburban school district and a first-ring suburban district. I was challenged to create effective lesson plans that targeted individual diversity while still fulfilling state standards, the new common core standards, and my own standard of creating a highly engaging and rigorous classroom environment. In my four years of experience working for the Institute of Reading Development, I worked to instill confidence in my students, with an emphasis on strong reading skills. This position was very dynamic, and allowed me to gain incredible classroom management experience, as well as time to develop strong parent relationships. While I was a substitute teacher for the Buffalo Public Schools, I was lucky to be a long-term substitute teacher at Discovery Middle School. This position allowed me to develop a strong sense of classroom management with a diverse group of students, and provided invaluable experiences with utilizing technology in the classroom. My goal was to integrate technology authentically and relevantly as a means to help students process and demonstrate their learning. All of these experiences have made me crave a classroom of my own where I can challenge students to reach their potential and succeed in their futures. My teaching is student-centered and student driven with a strong commitment to interdisciplinary connections and content area literacy. As a social studies teacher, I also strive to push students to make connections between the past and the present by engaging students in a curriculum filled with current events and opportunities to engage in hands on, critical learning. With my experiences and my passions as an individual and an educator, I believe I can make a significant impact in your school community.
    While I know the current economic climate has increased the number of candidates from which you will choose from, I can promise you that I will strive for excellence everyday as I work to make a difference in the lives of your students. I encourage you to view my e-portfolio at your convenience. I hope you will contact me by phone (_____________) or e-mail (_____________) to further discuss my qualifications and potentially teaching at your school. I am available for Skype interviews at any time, and would be willing to travel to the Fairfax area for an interview at your request.

Best Regards,

Melissa __________

3. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 13, 2012

Hi Melissa,

1. It looks like you have a great credential. Mine would pale in comparison - no masters for one.

2. I'm no expert to make a comment. TeacherGroupie and Aliceacc helped me write mine - I got like five(5) interviews and got hired too - so you are in the right place.

3. For one thing, they will tell you to write stories or anecdotes of what made you a great teacher and why as a principal I would really want to see you in person - this is the most important part of the cover letter.

4. But, please wait for those two names I mentioned and the other experts in this forum to help you.

All the best in your search. I hope you get "tons" of interviews.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

OK, you get my drift.

In short, there's nothing in your letter that screams "THIS is one we don't want to get away. We NEED to meet her."

Just between you and me and anyone else who reads this thread, tell me one or two real successes you've had. Name one or two kids who benefitted from having you in a position to be their teacher. Tell me in a sentence or two just why you think you had an influence on those kids.

THAT'S what I would want to see if I were hiring. Not that you know the buzzwords, but that you connect with the kids and get the results.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

I was also going to say that a lot of what you wrote should already be on your resume.

Because of Alice's advice, I've also changed my letter to include success stories. A few principals brought up my story in some of my interviews. :)

6. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

This is all excellent advice. I will get rid of a lot of that "fluff" and add some anecdotes. My biggest concern is length. How many sentences would you allot for stories?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Tell US the story in as along as it takes. We can edit later

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2012

If this is a real school, please consider editing your post to fudge some of the identifying details on display here.

This is a formal letter, yes? No need to give your name in the first paragraph, then, and please avoid contractions.

Showing that you've done some homework about the school is a fine thing, and the first paragraph is a good place for that. You can do so more briefly, however: it will suffice for the purpose to go with

but recast it with the school as subject of the sentence (and if "School Improvement Plan" means in your neck of the woods what it means in mine, leaving it out might be diplomatic).

Now: have you any "lightbulb moment" anecdotes?

(For the record, the use of "inform" in the second to last paragraph is perhaps a bit jargony, but it is certainly not incorrect.)

9. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

One particularly story I am considering is this:

While implementing a unit plan as part of my Master's thesis, I worked with a girl whom I shall call Tara. Tara was 16 and still in the eighth grade. Just looking at, you could tell she was apathetic toward school. With a bit more digging, I found out that she had a lot of family problems and had seen little success during her years as a student. The unit was meant to be differentiated, and based on the type of person I am, she was the first student I chased after. I had lots of desks talks with her about her interests and past experiences in social studies. I provided lots of one-on-one guidance during in class instruction because I wasn't lowering my standards or expectations, but was willing to be flexible in how students met those standards (definition of differentiation, huh?!). When it came time to start the project for the unit (a choice menu), I offered her time during lunch and after school because she didn't have internet access at home. By the time the unit was over, she'd increased her grade on the content test by 45 points (between pre-test and post-test). She also received an 85 on her final project. On my last day, she walked over to me and thanked me. She's very quiet and brief of words, so what came next was important for me as a teacher. She told me that this was the first time in a long time she was excited to come to school, and the first time ever that she was able to share what was happening at school with her parents. She told me this was the first time anyone had ever "cared enough to make sure it makes sense".

While I've had many moments that have reinforced my decision to become an educator, that one takes the cake!

Is that story cover letter worthy? If so, where should I add it in?

10. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Okay-- this is my re-edit. I'm hoping it's more personal and a more clear representation of why I should be hired. My only questions are:
    1) Are there too many paragraphs?
    2) Is the fourth paragraph repetitive?
    3) Where can I add information on developing parent relationships (something I deal with everyday at the Institute of Reading Development!) and about the use of technology? Both are things I've seen constantly on job postings and websites.

Thank you again for all the feedback. I teach a group of entering kindergartens at 8 AM tomorrow, so even though I am "in the zone", I need to get rest! I look forward to feedback tomorrow. Thanks!

I was very pleased to see that Thoreau Middle School is accepting applications for a Social Studies teacher. With a focus on research-based practices, extensive extracurricular programs, and a faculty and staff that dedicate themselves to each and every student, Thoreau Middle School is a professional learning community I would feel privileged to be a part of. As an educator, I seek to create a classroom environment that appreciates diversity, values critical thinking and critical action, and challenges students to push further than seems possible. The Time to Soar program at TMS is just one facet that distinguishes your school from all of the rest. I believe all students deserve a teacher who holds them to the highest expectations and I believe that all students can learn when given the right opportunities and support. Thoreau Middle School is the type of school that will provide me those opportunities, and I would love to become a part of the team.
    As a teacher, I strive to instill the same confidence and passions I have for learning into my students. One of my favorite memories as an educator has been my experience implementing a differentiated unit plan in an 8th grade classroom. The purpose of the unit was to make learning inclusive for all, so my first job was to seek out those students who had previously felt unsuccessful in the social studies classroom. “Tara”, a sixteen year old student, had struggled significantly in school, particularly in social studies. I spent my time learning about “Tara” and encouraging her to break out of her comfort zone. I spent my lunch periods and time after school providing reinstruction and extra help, which all paid off in the long run. At the end of the unit, “Tara” was one of my most improved students. She had increased forty five points from the pre to post assessment, and most importantly, felt that someone “finally cared enough to make sure it made sense”. Moments such as that are the reason why I am confident in my decision to become an educator.
    My experiences thus far have helped me to create relevant and challenging lessons plans that ask students to critically engage with their learning. In my student teaching and substitute teaching experiences, I designed projects that made cross curricular connections, as well as connections to students’ own lives. For example, in my US 11 class, students created alternative history textbooks, including sections that they believed were misrepresented or completely left out. This project culminated in a letter to the editor in which students argued for revisions. As a teacher, this allowed me to teach the content, exceed the standards, but also provide an authentic opportunity my students could take with them into their futures. This is the ultimate goal for me as a teacher. I want to teach the content, but also teach students to be productive and critical citizens who will make differences in their own world.
    All of these experiences have made me crave a classroom of my own where I can challenge students to reach their potential and succeed in their futures. My teaching is student-centered and student driven with a strong commitment to interdisciplinary connections and content area literacy. As a social studies teacher, I also strive to push students to make connections between the past and the present by engaging students in a curriculum filled with current events and opportunities to engage in hands on, critical learning. With my experiences and my passions as an individual and an educator, I believe I can make a significant impact in your school community.
    While I know the current economic climate has increased the number of candidates from which you will choose from, I can promise you that I will strive for excellence everyday as I work to make a difference in the lives of your students. I encourage you to view my e-portfolio (______________________) at your convenience. I hope you will contact me by phone (____________) or e-mail (________________) to further discuss my qualifications and potentially teaching at your school. I am available for Skype interviews at any time, and would be willing to travel to the Fairfax area for an interview at your request.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2012

I think it's way too long. I quit reading.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Fast, before you go to bed:

I haven't read it yet, but your phone number jumped out at me. Please edit it out.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

How's this?

It's still a bit long, but does it convey who you are as a teacher? Remember, the point is to get them to want to read your resume and meet you in person.

14. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Okay, this is cut down a lot...but I think that is what I needed...someone on the outside to do it for me! I've always been a bit wordy! As for your question, I think it does convey me as a teacher...partially. I don't think I come off well on paper. I do much better in person. I think that it shows that I am willing to go above and beyond for my students, and that I am creative and critical in my lesson planning...but, in my opinion, there's so much more. Is this supposed to just give them a taste, and I explain the rest in the interview?

I think what this does convey is that I am willing to go above and beyond for my students and that I have high standards for them as students and individuals. Do you agree? Does everyone get that too? For me, those are the two most important qualities I have as a teacher.

I'm feeling a bit more relieved...I think.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

Leave it for a while, let others take a look at it for a few hours. (And for the record, the only words that weren't yours were those in the first sentence.)

Too long a cover letter won't be read, so it's got to be a few paragraphs-- certainly no longer than a single side of paper.

In the last paragraph, I just caught this: " further discuss my qualifications and potentially teaching at your school. "-- the grammar is off. Maybe change it to "qualifications for teaching at Thoreau Middle School."

Oh, and skip a line between paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to read!!!

16. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Perfect, will do to both of those!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

Oh, and "priviledged to be a part of"-- is there a rule about ending a sentence with a preposition? And does this violate it? (It reads fine to me, but I'm a mathy person. Our house grammar pro is fast asleep.)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

When it gets to the point where you're happy with it, you want it to go to every single principal within an hour of where you'l be.(You can make that first paragraph a bit more generic) I have no idea of the geography, but this should get you started:

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/county_private_schools/stateid/VA/county/51059

http://magnetschools.us/county/fairfax_va

http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/catholicschools/secondary.php

http://www.arlingtondiocese.org/catholicschools/elementary.php

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/research/education.htm#private

Ha, and you thought you were going to have a relaxing weekend!!!

19. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Gosh, thank you! :) My weekend was never to be relaxing...I'm trying to plan at least a month of lessons for grades 7-12 in case I get a job at the last minute! So instead of continuing that, I will do this! While I'm at it...would you mind looking at my resume? I've paid for it to be reviewed...so I hope it's not too awful (the person was specific for education!). Obviously the heading is missing and the format is off, but content wise?

CERTIFICATION New York State Initial Certification, Social Studies 7-12, February 2012

EDUCATION University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
    Masters of Education, Social Studies Education, May 2012
    GPA: 3.85/4.00
    Reflective Inquiry Project: In what ways are comprehension strategies used within
    the curriculum and in teacher’s pedagogy to enhance the content knowledge of social studies?
    Thesis Project: Differentiation in Action: Definitions of Differentiation and Student Learning Outcomes
    Advisor: Dr. Alexandra

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
    Bachelor of Arts, History, May 2009
    Graduated University Scholar with High Honors
    Cumulative GPA: 3.75/4.00
    Thesis: “The Art of Prejudice: Homosexuality and the Renaissance”,
    Advisor: Dr. Jonathan, University at Buffalo

RELEVANT
    TEACHING Buffalo Public Schools, Buffalo, New York
    EXPERIENCE Cheektowaga Central School District, Cheektowaga, New York
    Substitute Teacher, May 2011-Present
    • Teach grades Pre-K through 12.
    • Plan lessons and other administrative responsibilities for teachers.
    • Establish trust and rapport among students to help create positive learning environment.

Cheektowaga Central High School, Cheektowaga, New York
    Frontier Middle School, Hamburg, New York
    Student Teacher, January 2011-May 2011
    • Member of a first-ring suburban school district and teaching classes of 20-25 students at CCHS.
    where I was responsible for four sections of 11th grade US History Regents classes and one
    section of 9th grade Global History and Geography.
    • Taught five sections of 8th grade social studies at Frontier MS, which is a suburban middle school.
    • Designed effective and differentiated lesson plans aiming to prepare students
    for content requirements and literary demands of state assessments and higher education.
    • Cultivated professional relationship with cooperating teacher and department faculty
    members to aid in the development of teaching strategies and content knowledge.
    • Communicated with the special education services and ELL faculty to develop
    effective strategies within my own classroom.
    • Created discipline plans and classroom management ideas based on relevant pedagogy
    to deal effectively with demands of high school students in a first-ring suburban school.
    • Integrated technology into the daily lesson plans and student activities.

University at Buffalo, Athletic-Academic Center, Buffalo, New York
    Academic Mentor, August 2010-May 2011
    • Maintained a caseload of ten freshman student-athletes.
    • Oversaw academic performance of student-athletes and reported grades to advisors and
    coaches.
    • Taught a variety of skills to student-athletes including, but not limited to, time management,
    study skills, test preparation, writing mechanics, and many other pertinent skills for academic
    success.
    • Tutored several courses when needed, such as history, writing, political science, etc.

Institute of Reading Development, New York, New York
    Teacher, May 2009-Present
    • Led ten to twelve reading classes a week for two five week sessions; students ranged from
    four years old to adulthood.
    • Received extensive training within the field of reading education, critical thinking skills,
    study skills, and speed reading.

Early Childhood Research Center, Buffalo, New York
    Assistant Teacher, September 2007-May 2009
    • Taught children ages two to five in a pre-school setting focused on play and enhancing social skills.
    • Worked closely with two lead teachers in creating and implementing lesson plans, and observing children for learning purposes.
    • Created weekly reflections, as well as independent documentation of specific children,
    which culminated in a developmental narrative given to the children’s parents at the end of term.

LEADERSHIP Alpha Phi Omega, Buffalo, New York
    EXPERIENCE Vice President of Membership, Spring 2009
    Vice President of Fellowship, Fall 2008
    • Fostered learning environment to educate brotherhood about membership requirements.
    • Organized and implemented all Rush activities, including designing advertisements, organizing rush events, and planning informational sessions.
    • Maintained records of all service hours, attendance at meetings, and leadership roles.

Institute of Reading Development, New York, New York
    Curriculum Development, July 2010-August 2010
    • Assisted in the production and implementation of pilot reading program for students aged 4-6.
    • Delved into relevant teaching pedagogy, concentrating in literacy.
    • Participated in pilot classrooms to test new teaching models and lesson plans.

VOLUNTEER Big Brother, Big Sister, Volunteer, Fall 2008-present, Buffalo, New York
    EXPERIENCE
    American Heart Association, Volunteer, Fall 2008-May 2009, Buffalo, New York

University at Buffalo’s Disability Services, Volunteer Note Taker, Fall 2008, Buffalo, New York

Relay for Life, Volunteer, Spring 2008-May 2009, Buffalo, New York

HONORS Advanced Honors Program, History Honors Program
    & AWARDS University at Buffalo, Fall 2007-May 2009
    • Obligated to maintain a GPA of 3.5 for both programs.
    • Recommended by faculty members and professors to be a part of the programs.
    • Completed two honors contracts as a part of advanced honors program requirements. Honors contracts consist of supplemental work added on to base course requirements.
    • Completion of a senior honors thesis project is the final requirement of both programs.

PROFESSIONAL Member of the National Council for the Social Studies (Fall 2011-present)
    AFFILIATIONS Member of the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (Fall 2011-present)

TECHNOLOGY Voice Thread; Podcasts; Wikis; SMART Board; SMART Notebook; Examgen; Schoology;
    SKILLS iMovie; Google Docs; Microsoft Office; Blogger; Prezi; Skitch; Photoshop; Capzles; Creaza; Glogster;

INTERESTS Dance; Student Government; Debate; Journalism; Volunteer Organizations; Film; Travel

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

I'm SO not a resume expert, but I would move this "Institute of Reading Development, New York, New York
    Teacher, May 2009-Present " up closer to the top. One, it's current. And two, it sets you apart from so many other candidates.

You mention an interest in debate-- would you be willing to coach it?? I did for 18 years...it can be incredibly hard to find people willing to coach Speech and Debate because it's such a large time committment. If so, then I think we should find room in your cover letter-- at least the ones you send to high schools-- to mention it.

21. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Would you move IRD under the subbing experience? Or on top? Should I add more of a description to that section?

And yes! I'd love to coach Debate or Speech. I was really shy as a kid, and also suffered from a lisp...so Debate made me so much more confident! I'd love to do that for students!

Thanks again for your help! I feel indebted!

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 14, 2012

Alice and the others have this covered, so I'll just say I like the shorter version. Also, the way the story was edited is much better...if you say things like "just by looking at her" it sounds like you are stereotyping a student. Be very careful to stay away from statements like that, in writing and when interviewing. Good luck!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

Yes, I think I would put it right under student teaching. Chronologically, it fits well there. And it shows that you bring something to the table that other applicants don't.

And you're so welcome!! Once you get some experience, you can pay it forward to the next set of newbies :)

24. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

That's an excellent point! Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely be conscious of that!

25. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 14, 2012

I would be proud of the cover letter that Aliceacc edited. A major part of your personality comes alive in that letter. I hope you get a lot of interviews.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2012

The rule about not ending sentences with a preposition is one that can be suspended if the result sounds ugly or pretentious; in this case, the fix is easy and clean ("of which I am privileged").

Other lapses have me more concerned.

- There's bad parallelism in the first paragraph, if "its focus on" is supposed to have scope not only over "research based practices" but "extracurricular programs": one needs to separate those with "and", because what follows, as phrased, isn't part of the focus. An easier fix is to go with "its focus on research-based practices, extracurricular activities, and student-support programs such as Time to Soar" - or, if this better reflects what you intended, "its focus on research-based practices and its extracurricular activities and student-support programs such as Time to Soar".

- This sentence is clumsy: "As an educator, I seek to create a classroom environment that appreciates diversity, values critical thinking and critical action, and challenges students to push further than seems possible." Try "... that values diversity, fosters critical thinking and critical action, and challenges students to exceed their own expectations."

- Because the memory is current though the event isn't, use "One of my favorite memories is", not "... has been". Better yet, eliminate that extraneous word "experiences" and the repeated reference to yourself as educator: "One of my favorite memories comes from implementing..."

- Repetition is an ongoing issue: note the two uses of "spent" in successive sentences in the Tara story. In addition, neither gets your point (that you were working hard with this kid) across as well as more vivid and precise words would. Try "made a point of" for the first and "devoted lunch periods and hours after school" for the second.

- Use "Grade 8" or "eighth grade" but not "8th grade", please

- The subordinate clause about the work paying off (and you can omit "in the long run") should begin the next sentence, which describes the work paying off. Omit the sentence that follows, since you're making that point by demonstration.

- "forty five" should be "45", and the sentence is wordy: try something like "Tara increased her score by 45 points from pretest to posttest." I'd add something back in to what follows: "More importantly, she confided that she was excited to come to school, because she felt that someone
    finally cared enough..." etc.

These sentences are unclear: "For example, in my 11th grade US History class, students created alternative history textbooks, including sections that they believed were misrepresented or completely left out. This project culminated in a letter to the editor in which students argued for revisions." The first suggests that the students' sections were misrepresented: try "material that they believed the official textbook had misrepresented or omitted". In the case of the second, to which editor did the students write? If the textbook editor, say so.

- The flow in this sentence isn't good: "My experiences thus far have helped me to create relevant and challenging lessons that ask students to critically engage with their learning." You want to end with the lessons, since an example of one is what comes next. Try "To encourage students' critical engagement with their learning, I create lessons that are relevant and challenging." Then discuss this lesson (be sure you spell out "eleventh"). You can then move the reference to your e-portfolio gracefully here. "For further examples, please see my e-portfolio (__)."

- The last paragraph remains very wordy, but moving the e-portfolio out will help. For the rest, instead of "I hope you will contact me by phone (____________) or e-mail (________________) to further discuss my qualifications and potentially teaching at your school. I am available for Skype interviews at any time, and would be willing to travel to the Fairfax area for an interview at your request," try "I can be reached by phone (__) or email (__), I am available for Skype interviews at your convenience, and I am eager to travel to Fairfax for an interview."

27. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 14, 2012

Writing is editing. My goodness, this is language arts not math. My cover letter is down to three short paragraphs. I went straight to the story after the brief intro.

With tons of applications to read, if I were the principal, I would prefer reading something short and straightforward. The rest, I can pick up from the resume. I get interviews, so it must work. But again, I'm not the expert on cover letters.

28. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

That is so reassuring! Thank you!

29. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Are you an English teacher? I need one of you in my back pocket! Thanks for taking the time to really review it! Both you and Alice are God sent!

Where would I include info about my e-portfolio if not on my cover letter? There's absolutely NO room on my resume, unless I go over 2 pages.

30. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Whoops! I see where I should add the e-portfolio! Ignore the above!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2012

You're welcome. I used to do a good deal of editing.