Please Read- Grading Advice

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Karma4life, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Karma4life

Karma4life New Member

Sep 22, 2015

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from you first grade teachers. My child is in first grade and I have some concerns about how my child's teacher is grading, I was hoping you could give me some feedback. The teacher is using test and pop quizzes to determine 90% of her students grades and 10% for homework. I feel that is not a true grade when you only use test to grade a first grader. My child brings home about 15-20 papers a week, with an average of 4 graded papers (which are test). I am not against testing but 90% just doesn't doesn't seem right to me. I feel the Daily work should count for something. The pop quizzes that are given are not on subject matter in the homework packet nor is paper sent home explaining what wI'll be on it. I want to bring it up to the teacher. But, I would like to hear your thoughts before I do. Thank you in advance.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 22, 2015

When I taught first grade, tests were worth about 80%, class work 10% and homework 10%. It gave a very accurate grade for my kiddos who were struggling and in what area.

Now I teach Kinder, and my students grades are based off one on one testing, other required district assessments, and classroom observations on the standards. Our grades are all standards based and students only receive a score based on progress towards mastery for each standard.

It's worth a shot to bring up the concern with your child's teacher but I wouldn't expect her to change her grading policy. Is your child's score being negatively impacted due to the way she grades?

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 23, 2015

In my experience, grading in the primary grades (K-2) is based more on skills than content. This means that your child really cannot "study" for the test, rendering it pointless for the teacher to send home a note about what will be on the test. All of my second grade students' math grades last year were based on quick-checks (daily quizzes on the lesson content) and topic tests. Classwork and homework weren't graded at all. Effort was not a factor in their grades, as students either "got" it, or they didn't. Reading grades were entirely based on observation of skills in small group, and writing grades were based on work samples. I wouldn't expect a first grade teacher to grade classwork... Try not to think of it in the same terms as how you were graded in high school. Try to keep in mind that, in primary grades, the grade on the report card should be reflective of the student's skill level and not of their work ethic. Also, I would imagine that your child's teacher isn't presenting all of these tests as major tests... They are probably presented as assignments that happen to be graded based on the child's ability to complete the assignment without teacher support or guidance.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2015

I'm surprised they are using letter grades at all in first.

To answer the question, the policy may be set by the district. I've worked in district's where homework wasn't even allowed to be counted.

6. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Sep 29, 2015

At my school, first grade is graded 100% on tests/quizzes. Some of these tests/quizzes are verbal or scribed.

Students in first grade are learning fundamental skills. The goal of the quizzes and tests is to see what students can accomplish independently. The goals of classwork and homework are to provide the student supported practice, while tests and quizzes allow the teacher to assess the student's actual ability level.

While the "grades" may not look great to you as a parent, this method gives the teacher with accurate feedback.

This is the reasoning my school uses. I think the only thing I would be concerned about would be my first grader feeling poorly about his grades. For this reason, our school communicates scores with parents, not with students.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2015

For our elementary, and I think all in the district, grades are not determined by "points" (and thus a percentage of the points in the end), but by level of mastery of the content. This is measured often by end-of-topic assessments (whatever form that might be), but often formative assessments are included in there. Rather than a point total though, it's looked at more from a trend perspective, and really identifying where the student is at the end of the semester rather than averaging them over the whole time.