Please, Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cdowdell, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Dec 12, 2007

I'm freaking out. This is my first year teaching and we have a our Christmas Concert this Friday (2 days away!). My kids are too give their parents a gift at the concert and I originally had planned to have them make 2 different ornaments and to put them in a decorated bag (by the student) and a card. We made our ornaments on Monday so they could dry and we had no school yesterday because of bad weather and now that I'm back the ornaments they made out of glue look horrible...they will not work. I think the glue was old or something! So now I have NO IDEA what to do!!! I need help of quick ideas that I can do in just 1 maybe 2 days w/ 16 students.

I'm really freaking out. I wanted this to be good since this was my first year of teaching...and I have absolutly no idea of an inexpensive gift!!! AHHH!!!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 12, 2007

You can buy the little wooden flat ornaments at a craft store and have them paint them. They should dry in a day. They won't be gorgeous but it'll be quick to do anyway.

Another quick idea is to buy votive candle holders for them to decorate. the Kindergartners at my school are doing this. I got the glass holders on sale for 25 cents each. I think normally they cost about 90 cents each, plus 20-50 cents for a candle to put in it.

Good luck and I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Dec 12, 2007

Here's a couple quick ideas.

pipe cleaner/bead candy canes -students thread the pipe cleaner and bend into the shape of a cane.Leave small piece of wire at the bottom of each pipe cleaner and bend around the bottom bead. Repeat at the top. Instant ornament. Use the beads with 3 corners. I can't think what they are called.

Candy cane reindeer - twist brown pipe cleaners for antlers, red pom-pom at the tip of the hook of the candy cane and two google eyes between the antlers and nose.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Dec 12, 2007

I did this as a science/craft idea. We have been studying heat and what transfers heat. I took an iron, two pieces of wax paper, a thin towel, and crayon shavings. I placed one piece of wax paper on top of the towel and sprinkled green crayon shavings on it. I then placed the other piece of wax paper on top. I folded the thin towel over the wax paper and ironed away. It melted the crayon to look like stained glass. I cut the green stuff into small Christmas Tree shapes.

The next day I had the kids glue their school pictures on. They also used the glue and glitter to make the ornaments and garland. I wish I had a picture. They turned out really cute!

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Dec 12, 2007

I just did the candy cane pipe cleaner ornament this week and they are so easy!!! I couldn't find the 3 sided beads so I used regular red and white beads and they worked fine.

7. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Dec 13, 2007

target had some nice winter themed picture ornaments for $5 or so. they feature a snowman, reindeer (maybe) and snowflakes? 30 in each pack and you can put the kids pic in it.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 13, 2007

You could do your own picture ornament. Use a die-cut and cut a Christmas shape (a wreath would work perfect) and mount their picture in the hole. (If they don't have a wreath, just cut their picture into a circle and glue it to the stocking, tree, etc). Let the kids decorate the shape, then laminate it.

My neice made an ornament in PreK last year that was a square with her handprint on it in green made to look like a Christmas tree. (She had colored "ornaments" on the fingers like they were limbs. It was cute and definitely one to keep.
    Good luck!!

9. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Dec 13, 2007

Thanks everyone for your ideas!!! I was searching the internet on Wed. and came up with a Giving Bag so they are making those...we worked on them some today and we'll finish up tomorrow. They are basically like the coupon books...but instead they are decorating a bag and then putting different red and green cards that they wrote different things they would give (i.e. unload the dishwasher, make my bed, a hug, fold laundry, etc.) They also made a card to go with each bag...hopefully it'll work! Thanks for all your ideas!