Please please chime in with advice..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissT34, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

I'm a first year teacher, teaching 3rd grade and it's been a very tough 2 weeks of school. I've been in a temporary room with my class due to lack of rooms and the portables were barely being installed. Today, I get called into the office and the P informs me that due to numbers, I will be reassigned to another campus, and a different grade level. I'm freaking out.:help:

I'll be teaching 4th, and I'm so worried about teaching writing! I'm really overwhelmed right now. I have a training to attend tomorrow, so I won't be with my kiddos, and there are no classes on Monday due to Labor Day, so really, I'll be informing my kids on Tuesday morning that I'll no longer be their teacher, then sending them off to their new classrooms. I'm so heartbroken. I had already grown attached to them, they're a great group. Any advice on how to make the transition for the kids (and myself) easier is welcomed and appreciated!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2011

Deep breaths.

One of the hallmarks of a good teacher is flexibility. You're certified to teach 4th grade and that's where the job is, so you teach 4th grade.

You approach it on Tuesday as an adventure. Tell the kids they'll have a clean slate-- their new teacher has no idea who the "smart" kids are, which ones have had trouble being good, which ones have had their cards turned (or whatever). And promise you'll keep in touch.

Then go meet your new class with enthusiasm and professionalism. Find out today what they're up to in each subject, get textbooks and other materials, and take advantage of the 3 day weekend to prep.

Good luck!

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2011

Lifes a @&$^ and then the move you to a new grade.
    alice is dead on with her advice. Read "Who Moved My Cheese"
    three times this weekend. (you can read it in 30 minutes).
    Good luck and keep us posted,
    now for the cliches.
    when one door closes another opens,
    this may be the class, position, place, work setting, colleagues,
    placement etc of your dreams. Embrace it and watch it
    become those things.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Don't stress out about teaching writing in fourth grade. Take some time to meet the other fourth grade teachers; I am sure that they will be more than willing to give you a hand with this.

6. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Sep 3, 2011

Also, I moved from 3rd to 4th. I'm not noticing too much of a difference except a little in curriculum. They're just older 3rd graders. haha
    Writing will take time to get. I'm still figuring out the best ways to teach it. Research what you can, find activities for it, and do your best.

I am sorry for this change. I have never seen it in my districts, but it's amazing how much I'm hearing of these transfers. Hugs! I can only imagine how hard it is.

And, I second the reading of Who Moved My Cheese. FABULOUS book! Read it and read it and read it again.
    You are a first year teacher. They don't expect you to know everything. Just do the best you can.

7. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Sep 3, 2011

Thank you, everyone. I stopped by my new campus yesterday afternoon to introduce myself and everyone was very welcoming. I saw my room, which I fell in love with, and met all the teachers in my grade level. On my way out, the grade level chairperson handed me next week's lesson plan so I can look over and at least know what the kids are doing by the time I get them on Thursday. Tuesday, I'll be at my old school with my original 3rd graders, saying my goodbyes and helping them transition into their new classrooms, then I'll finish packing and head off to my new campus, where I'll have two days to prepare my room (and myself). I feel like I'm finally beginning to accept this, and I know that all things happen for a reason. I'm sure there's a student in my new campus that I need to help in some way. I'm staying positive about the whole ordeal and I'm sure it'll all turn out okay :)

8. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Sep 3, 2011

We had a similar situation last year. In the third week, some teachers were moved to other schools. A lot of the kids' schedules got switched around to cut some class sections and fill the others. I was able to stay at the same school, but had all new kids. I had to teach different classes than the ones I had started with.

It was very stressful. The time it takes to pack and unpack (if you move schools, they usually give you a day, but not if you just move rooms like me), the time you already invested in planning, the time to prep the new classes...it's hard.

And, like you, I had already felt connected to the kids. They felt like "my students." But you adjust. The kids adjust. It will be OK.

I keep telling myself this! We were just told that we will have to cut again this year. It's not just that certain teachers will move schools, but that many classes will have to be re-arranged. I guess we'll find out next week what is going to happen.

We just have to be flexible. The other teachers with the same classes will usually be very helpful in getting you up to speed.

Good luck.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

Things happen for a reason AND somehow it will all work out.
    I bet some child or children in the new place really need you to
    be their teacher. YOU CAN DO IT!
    You'll live to teach another day! :angel:
    Look @ it as a new adventure and MORE children that you will be SO POPULAR with.
    Good luck and may God help you on your way.
    Rebel1

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 3, 2011

I'm only teaching writing and language this year. With the new tests, no one is positive how things will be tested so just teach the standards.

PM me if you need anything.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 3, 2011

It seems like you're already beginning to adjust! :) I'm sure two weeks from now you'll be in an even better spot and things will work themselves out fine.

The hardest part of this, I'm sure, will be you saying good-bye to your current classroom students. Third graders can become attached quickly, but I'm sure they will adjust just as quick to their new teachers. You might even want to share your new school address or email and let them update you on their progress if they want to.

I find there's a big difference between what a newbie 3rd grader can do compared to a 4th grader can do and I've enjoyed the two differences between the grades :) 4th graders tend to be a little more anxious and less willing of messing up, so I find they need about ten times more encouragement from me compared to my 3rd graders.

While the school year has already started, treat the first days of beginning in your new classroom with your new students like you would for any beginning of the school year-- you NEED to be able to set the routine, rules, and environment for the students before learning can begin. You might want to speak to your principal about lesson plans and make sure they're okay with you taking 2-3 school days to set the tone-- you might get less done than the lesson plans state but hopefully your administrator will understand the need to set up the classroom together with your students.

I teach 4th grade science, but there is a huge focus on writing, so if I can assist you with anything please let me know! I'm sure you'll have a great first year teaching and kudos to you for getting through this difficult situation :)

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 3, 2011