Please need help with Community Awareness

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Beast bear, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Sep 5, 2016

This is my second year teaching and first year in life skills. I am teaching 6th-8th grade life skills (mild/moderate). My students academics range from kindergarten to 3rd grade levels. I am really struggling with lesson plans for my community awareness period. We did two and half weeks on community helpers. I tested them on community signs (stop sign, hospital, road signs, etc....) and they pretty much had them all down. Just not sure what to do here. Thanks for the help.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

Can they navigate a map to find places within their community? Do they know how to use the bus lines or ride shares to get from Point A to Point B?

Also, what does your school include in Community Awareness? Are you do follow a specific curriculum?

4. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Sep 5, 2016

There is no curriculum to follow I am on my own. But would love to find one to see if they will purchase it for me. There are no bus lines in the town either.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

Why are you teaching community awareness then? I think what I'm getting at is why is this an important part of your curriculum? Was it on prior lesson plans and you are following those or have you decided that you need to spend X weeks on community awareness? It seems strange to not have an idea of what you want to be teaching. What have prior teachers taught? Can you take a look at their plan books?

6. Beast bear

Beast bear Rookie

Sep 5, 2016

It is not by my choice it is on thier schedules for all year. They have math, two language arts periods, social studies/science, then daily health living skills, vacational, community awareness, and gym. From my understanding the teacher that was in there prior to me didn't do a lot with the students as far as the daily health living skills, vocational and community awareness. The students had a lot of free time on thier laptops. Which I don't understand how that teacher put in grades for all those courses. There was really nothing in my classroom.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

There must be someone in the district or the principal or someone who has an idea of what they want you to do during that class. Can the aides help with what's been covered?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2016

Have you looked at the Snap curriculum? Www.snap curriculum.org

It is a program for adults with developmental disabilities, but you could adapt it. Look at their curriculum list.

There are several good topics that would apply in the character counts program. Http://character.org/lessons

Fire safety
    Recycling
    Food banks
    Local issues - water purity, drought, flooding, whatever applies
    Leaders
    Safety
    Community resources