Please look at my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by penguinpc, Aug 8, 2011.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Please tell me what changes and/or improvements you think I can make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Personally, I would probably condense it to one page. I would remove the "summary of qualifications," since it's just repeating information that they can easily read in the rest of your resume. I don't include references unless they specifically ask, but that's your call. I would also remove the WalMart position, as it was over ten years ago and is not really applicable to the job you are seeking. Also, I like to put two categories - "Teaching Experience," which lists all education-related jobs and, below that, "Other Experience," which lists jobs that are not directly related. I also noticed that you format your dates as "7/2008," which looks off to me. Maybe I'm just weird and picky, but I prefer either "July 2008" or "07/08," since it just looks cleaner. One thing about bullet points, too - I was taught that you only use them if there is more than one item in your list. So, I would think of one or two more "responsibilities" to put under the jobs that currently only have one bullet point.

Also (and this is totally just personal preference - you'll have people give you different advice on this one) I don't use an objective. Instead, I just put my certification right at the top, followed by education, followed by experience. The certification tells them what type of job I'm seeking. I think objectives are really only helpful when they narrow it down, like when you're certified k-8, but you are looking for a middle school math & science position. However, if I'm certified 6-12 English and my objective is "Seeking a position teaching English grades 6-12" it's kind of like "yeah, duh." So I just don't put it in unless it's really adding something to the resume.

Hope that helps a little!

4. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I agree making it one page and eliminating the summary of qualifications might be best. I am struggling getting a job though, so I may not know what I am talking about. Good Luck!

5. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

6. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Just caught the "expections" spelling error.

7. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Wow I love what you did with the resume in the testimonials..

8. labar

labar Rookie

Aug 14, 2011

I personally like the format of your 1st one better (maybe because it is the same as mine =) but yeah the 2nd one is better because it has more of the relevant information, and is condensed into one page.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 14, 2011

You have a big lapse in your experience with education. I would be ready to explain how you have stayed up to date with current teaching practices. Good luck. I like the 2nd and it would make me look twice.

10. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 14, 2011

I would go with the first format, but separate your educational and general work history. Highlight the times you have had educational experience first. I had a resume similar to yours and this is what I did. I makes it easier to pick out the educational information they want.

And I second what SCTeach said... be ready to explain how you've stayed up to date.

11. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Aug 20, 2011

I would remove the References section and keep it to one page. Just put 10 years of employment history. I like your format but the dates should be on the far right.

12. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 20, 2011

I like the 2nd one better (your last name is not blacked out on the sidebar, though). Personally, I do not care for the sidebar quotes but ask someone who is on interview teams (like SCTeach!). I mean, I could ask anyone for a proper quote and then put it on my resume... it's not the same as an actual reference letter.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2011

Hype the heck out of your tech expertise!