Please help..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Valeriana, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

I am getting my sub certificate, hopefully I will have it before the end of the year. My ultimate goal is to get a teacher certification (alternate route)
    I am so nervous and excited at the same time.
    My question is: HOW DO YOU PREPARE FOR THIS JOB? My district told me that they give you a work shop but somehow I think that won't be enough. I would like to sub Pre-K until 8th grade (not sure about high school yet)
    I am changing careers so I have no idea about what is the appropiate material for each specific grade. I want to be prepare and ready for when the time comes. I have been searching the web but i cannot find anything specific. Do you have anything in mind? any book? WHERE DO I FIND THE CURRICULUMS FOR EACH GRADE? (NJ) or any.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

You won't need to find the curriculum for each grade. The classroom teacher will leave you a lesson plan for the day that you will follow. S/he will also leave the books, worksheets, and materials that you will need.

I don't know what you are doing right now. But, maybe you can volunteer in different classrooms and get an idea of what goes on there.

4. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

I don't know where in NJ you are - but if you are anywhere near Camden County College, they offer a substitute training seminar which I found to be quite helpful. Apart from that - just reading books and having a little faith in yourself goes a long long way...

This website is a big help, IMO...

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

If you wanted to see the curriculum for your state, just out of your own interest, you can usually google "your state curriculum." It looks like you are from New Jersey so google "New Jersey curriculum." However, subbing you don't need to worry about the curriculum because you will be given a lesson plan to follow. When you are a teacher preparing the lesson plans, that's when you need to worry about the curriculum.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2008

I have a similar background (new to teaching/subbing, starting an alt cert next school year). The most valuable thing I did before my first sub job was go to schools in my target age group and observe classes. I was able to get a note from HR in my district to use as an introduction. We also had a 40 hour workshop and it was VERY helpful ... but only because I had observed classes. It's good to see a few different teaching styles so you can compare and visualize yourself in front of a class.

7. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

Thank you so much to all of you. I am one of those people who always like to be prepared, so I think, what if the teacher does not leave anthing for me? what if i cannot come up with something? I read somewhere that you should have a folder with at least one day of material for each grade.
    Also, I went to elementary, middle and HS in my country. So I don't know anything about Unite States' schools. The closest I have gotten to one is when I dropped my pre-k daughter to her class.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 23, 2008

I was going to say this exact same thing. Sometimes you may be left with no lesson. If this happens find a teacher next door or across the hall that teachs the same grade and tell them you are subbing for so and so and they left you no plans. s/he will usually help you get together something for the day. They have always helped me.