Please help.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ncpoms08, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ncpoms08

ncpoms08 New Member

Oct 12, 2007

I am currently a senior in high school, and decided to go to college to become an elementary school teacher.
    I was curious to know what I should take in college and any other tips on becoming a teacher.
    Also, If I become an elementary school teacher, am I limited to one grade or various grades within the elementary school?

Thanks!

Amanda.

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2007

I am currently a junior in college, do you know what college you want to go to? If so look at there course cataloge . My school laid out all of the classes I needed to take. Also when you are looking at colleges look at the certification they offer. I am a dual major so I will be certified K-6 elementary and PreK-12 Sped. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me :) Good Luck!

4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

Every state has different licensure requirements. In the state that I teach in, the licenses are prek-3 and 4-9 for elementary.

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

The college/university that you choose to attend will be able to help you with what classes you should take.

As far as your elementary certification, it will depend on the state you are in. In WA, an elementary certification is K-8 but in order to teach middle school you have to have a subject specific endorsement.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2007

I agree with the others. If you go to the counslers at your college, they will be able to help you out. Here in California, in order to teach K-6, you have to have a BS or a BA (I have a BS) in education. You must also get your teaching credenital. We also had to pass three different tests: CBEST, CSET and the RICA. Good luck.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 13, 2007

Most colleges, that I know of, will layout your 4 year plan before you even start. If not, ask to set up a time with an advisor and do so. What grades you are qualified to teach will depend on the licensure program you are in. At the college I went to they offered a Early Childhood program (prek-4th) and an Elementary program (K-6).
    In Arkansas, you have to pass the PRAXIS series for licensure. The first test, PRAXIS I, you usually take as a freshman in college. It's a basic skills test. If you did fine on the ACT or SAT, then you'll do fine on that. The second test, PRAXIS II, you will take before you do your internship/student teaching. It is based around your content knowledge. The third test, PRAXIS III, is actually an observation. This is completed in your first year of teaching.
    If you plan on teaching in a different state than where you are attending college, let your advisor know. They will help you with all the paper work and extra classes you will need to take for a multiple state license.

8. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

I'm in WA and have a k-8 certificate. Some states do it differently. The college that you go to should help you map out your classes. If you go to a junior college I just took classes that would allow me to transfer to the college I wanted to go to. GOOD LUCK!!!

9. Roswenth

Roswenth Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

I agree with the above posters. My only addition is to recommend that if you have enough elective classes after your coursework is laid out, is to take a minor that will also help in education. For example, with Elem. Ed, it might help to take Spanish, because that is becoming popular as an elementary subject. Another would be to take ESL classes, or perhaps sign language. If you can double-major, go for it (even if it might take an extra semester). Then, before student teaching, take the Praxis for your minor as well as your major. It will probably be worth it in the end.

If you decide for middle grades, you will probably have a dual major in Education and your subject. Also take a minor subject, and then take the Praxis tests for both. Many middle schools require dual subjects to begin with.