Please HELP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by #1 Mrs. H, Jun 19, 2007.

1. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jun 19, 2007

The one interview question I really HATE is this:

"How do you handle the consistently disruptive student in the classroom?"
    especially when the interviewer keeps throwing out,
    "what if they keep doing it?"

It's almost like they're waiting for me to cave and say something like, "Well, that's why YOU'RE here!"

What I usually say is something like this: "With the proper practice of procedures students are very clear on what I expect from them, and that my one rule is that no one hinder another student's right to learn. I also try to mention how I do all I can to solve the problem in house because I don't think a student can benefit academically if they are in the office all of the time. For those occasions when handling it in the classroom doesn't work, I would defer to the school's discipline policy."

Any help or advice you have on how to answer this question would be greatly appreciated. I have an interview on Monday and I really want it to go perfectly!

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I usually mention something about not making a scene in front of the class so that the disruptive student is not the main focus of attention. Some students WANT that, and that's the reason they are acting out in the first place. I would calmly take the student aside or in the hall and speak to them. See if you can find out what the problem is, because many times it has something to do with an incident at home or on the bus - something totally not related to school. If it continues to happen after the talking and warning, I would make the student leave the room, whether they sit in the hall, go to another teacher's classroom (of course you'd have to make sure that's ok) or even the principal's office. Parents would also be called if this was a constant problem. Sometimes I even mention that I talk to the student's other teachers (current or past years) to see if this happens with them and if they had any way of stopping the disruption. Hope this helps!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2007

I agree with Mrs. Gould. If at all possible, I defer the discussion until later-- after class or after school to avoid giving the student the attention he obviously wants. Also, that strategy helps avoid painting him into a corner, where he has to keep it up to save face with his peers.

5. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

I have had a very difficult student this year with sever behavior issues in which I had to come up with a behavior modification plan. His violent behavior was so sever that I had to acknowledge his behavior every 5-10 minutes by the end of the year we had cut back to once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I wish I could take full credit for the change but medication was also involved. For his behavior plan I simply printed off a dot to dot and when he made it a certain amount of time without me speaking to him or correcting his behavior he was able to get a dot connected. He kept this in a folder on his desk so I could continue teaching and walk over to his desk with my pen out and he would open the folder for me to draw a line. I also was in constant communication with his parents. It may sound odd but I will never forget that student and he will always have a special place in my heart.

6. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Thanks

so much for the great ideas. I really appreciate your help!