Please Help!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachcat, Jul 27, 2014.

1. teachcat

teachcat New Member

Jul 27, 2014

I am totally freaking out and can not think about anything else right now!!
    OK let me start from the beginning

This past school year I just finished my first year of teaching in an urban school setting. I drove about 3 hours each day about 1.5 hours one way. At the end of the year I knew that I was seeking out new employment closer to home. (So I did not sign the contract)
    Long story short, I found a great job that is closer to home and the school board already approved me and I was hired.
    Now to the bad part: I was hired and turned in my resignation letter after JULY 10th. (which I had no idea about that date.) My current super was out of town but emailed his secretary and told her to tell me that I was not released from my contract. (I thought that if I didn't sign one, I was not locked in.. wrong again) and that he would like to meet with me. I told my "new" district and they called around for me trying to help, but the super still wont release me and still wants to meet me. I go this week and I am very nervous.
    Any clues or advice on what he wants? Wouldn't he just say NO he is not releasing me instead of meeting him... ANY ideas!!!
    (I am also a mother and my husband got a new job promotion and will be be gone for a complete 2 months for training... I could not drive that far... this is why I am loosing it here....
    Please.. any advice or clues on what you think he is thinking or what I should do...
    (I live in Ohio)

thanks

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2014

Relax. Wait and see. My superintendent meets with all exiting employees and some very interesting things become revealed to him during the discussion. Fingers crossed that it's nothing but routine.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

He may just want to meet with you before releasing you. Maybe he wants to know why you are leaving and what the district can do to keep you.

Just go to the meeting with a calm, open mind and hear what he has to say.

5. teachcat

teachcat New Member

Jul 28, 2014

Thank you to all that has taken the time to respond back to me. This is a stressful time in my life and I am hoping it all will workout. I would never intentionally break a contract, but staying is not in the best interest of my family. I now know the proper protocol in resigning( if nothing else I learned that)
    I meet with him tomorrow so fingers are crossed!

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

:hugs: Good luck! Everyone is telling you right. When I resigned from my previous profession (i wasn't always a teacher) I remember telling my boss, who reported it to his boss and a few days later I had an exit interview with the big boss who I'd never seen until that day.

He just wanted to know why I was leaving, what sorts of incentives and programs would have made me want to stay, and if it had anything to do with salary/benefits, etc. I actually enjoyed the interview because I was comfortable to speak candidly.

Let us know how it goes!

7. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 28, 2014

You think someone would have asked you earlier why you didn't sign your contract??

I would try not to stress about this (even though I can't even imagine how stressful it is!) and relax. As everyone above said, he probably just wants to find out why you are leaving. I mean I'm sure once he hears about your commute and your husband, he will let you out.

Keep us updated!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 30, 2014

Not necessarily. The district that hired me last spring explained that I would only need to sign the contract once, and unless the board changed something in the contracts (benefits or whatever) the way they were currently written I wouldn't need to re-sign every year. The district does send out letters of intent in the spring though. I wonder if the OP received one of these.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 30, 2014

Hopefully, it's just an exit interview. Good luck!