Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chava_1908, Aug 12, 2005.

1. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

:confused: I will be a IA or paraeducator in September but for now I will be subbing! My question is as a sub I was nice to the alternative school students so when I get into the classroom full time do I remain nice or do I take on a totally different firm no nonsense IA? All suggestions are accepted and please advise! :eek:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 12, 2005

Of course you will want to remain nice, but you dont want to take any nonsense either. It's definitely hard to find the "happy medium" sometimes, but you dont want the classroom teacher to feel as though he/she is the only one that is being the disciplinarian. You also don't want there to be behavior problems if they need to have you take over a class for a meeting or to sub all day. Let them know that you are a nice person that cares for them, but that you're not a pushover that they can take advantage of.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2005

I have heard many people say "don't smile the first day", but I don't think that is good advice. The students need to know that they can go to you, but they also need to know that if they are doing something wrong, you will call them on it. In the district that I sub in, most IA's work with small groups a lot, so they get to know the students pretty well, and they are very respected. Good luck!

5. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 13, 2005

thanks beth and teacherC! your replies have been most helpful.

6. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 13, 2005

When I go into the classroom, I usually try to find 1 or 2 students who I think will be good helpers for me. I don't think you have to quit being nice, but let the kids know that you won't put up with any nonesense. That doesn't mean you have to stop smiling! :)