PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Aug 23, 2010.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

I have noticed that the kids in my urban school, including my class just simply lack manners. They put their hands on each other all the time and talk back to every adult no matter how "with it" that teacher may be. I am looking for ideas, lessons, or pretty much whatever it takes. I feel like clear expectations have been given, but maybe they haven't. The last two times that the my students have been in a highly social activity such as P.E. or recess they practically kill each other. I am going to have them miss out next time, but need something that they can do during that time that will get my point across. Please give me some helpful ideas.

3. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Have you read Ron Clark's book "The Essential 55"? It is a great book. He's a teacher who has made 55 rules he thinks students (and people in general) should follow. My school has adopted our own "Essentials" this year. Our first one is saying please and thank you. It takes practice, but hopefully they'll get better and even surprise their parents!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

How about letters of apology?

Sometimes having to verbalize what you've done wrong helps you realize just what it was.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Dear T4G,
    Sorry to read about how your class is acting up. I know it can surely make things hard in the class and it is very stressful too.
    :)How about challenging them with a "GROUP PROJECT"? Just thought of it since your kids are old enough. Allow them to use what ever means to prepare POSTERS or PROJECTS about GREAT WAYS TO TREAT EVERYONE. Make it a contest. Allow Principal, VP, or other Staff members to judge it. The winning group can have a "Special Treat" that you can solicit from a Restaurant or any cool store around your neighborhood, that carry junk that 3rd Graders like. You should continue the competitive edge and this MIGHT help them focus on the good deeds, with hopes of them changing for the better.:angel:
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

Look into the following:

Whole Brain Teaching for the group management, and some fun and effective teaching methods.

Supplement this with Love and Logic for more individual connections

Look into Ron Clark's Essential 55.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

There is a set of books on manners, I can't remember the name. My kids K teacher read them all, and really drilled in the manners.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

Unfortunately, many kids just don't learn basic manners anymore... it's one more thing we need to teach them. I always teach my students to make eye contact and how to give a proper hand shake. The basics. We talk about respect and I try to model it as well. You are their best role model for most of the day. Good luck! :)

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

I agree with this... it's something that needs teaching (unfortunately), if you really want a class in your image. I think it would be great if you can find the time (somewhere in the day), to implement a social skills component into the learning day.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 24, 2010

Start with the basics. I require my students to answer with yes, ma'm or no ma'm...I also require please and thank you.

My son had a teacher that required her students to walk in line with their arms hugging themselves because they couldn't keep their hands off of each other.

11. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I used to work at a KIPP school. The 5th graders (the youngest grade in the school) had 45 minutes of Team and Family time every day. During this time, the teachers explicitly taught character and manners lessons. Some of the students don't know the appropriate ways to react to people in large group situations, and they must be taught it. Punishing them won't be effective if they don't know what the correct behavior looks like. They also need to practice the correct behavior enough that it becomes automatic. It helps to have a big reward to motivate the students to learn to act correctly. Our 5th graders worked toward a field trip to a "fancy" restaurant for lunch (anywhere with tablecloths and multiple forks will work). They had to prove that they could use restaurant manners before they were allowed to go - no shouting, no running around, no talking back to the waiters, no throwing food, please and thank you, etc. It really covered everything we wanted them to do in class as well!

12. Miztdawn29

Miztdawn29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

I just read a great book called Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert J. MacKenzie, Ed.D. I have always been praised for my classroom management skills (I work in South Los Angeles, not the best neighborhood!) but this book has really halped me even more. He discusses establishing very clear limits and iffering limited choices. For example, "You can play the right way and continue or sit out for the rest of the game if you continue playing inappropriately. What would you like to do?" The teacher must then IMMEDIATELY follow through with praise for compliance or a timeout for non-compliance. No yelling, no "I knew you wouldnt listen" no judgement. Just matter of fact. CONSTANTLY model polite behavior and make your children repeat themselves in polite ways to peers if they are not polite. It take time, my last class took 4 months before I heard please and thankyous regularly. NUMBER ONE RULE: BE CONSISTENT. Children will test you at every turn to see your reaction. If you do not follow through with consequences, what lesson are you really teaching? Its ok sometimes? I also tell myself this: Are my rules mandatory or optional?