Please help with hands-on math ideas

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by scarlet_begonia, Jan 31, 2007.

1. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Jan 31, 2007

I have posted this elsewhere and now I'm trying here. I am a preschool teacher who also does trainings for parents and teachers, usually at the preschool level. I now have a workshop that is math-based for a special ed school. It goes from elementary to high school, with a focus on upper middle and high school. A couple kids have algebra, but most have consumer math. I need to come up with hands-on games or activities (that aren't too "baby-ish") to demonstrate to the teachers at the workshop. Please Please Please respond with ideas, suggestions, or websites!!!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

Balancing a checkbook is pretty basic, yet will appeal to HS kids. But it's a great example of addition and subtraction of integers. (Throw in a few minutes on how to fill out a check; it's a life skill and an amazing number of kids have no idea of how to do it. You can find blank templates online.)

Hit a Saturn dealership and get a copy of their pricelist. Give the kids a limted budget, and have them decide which options they can afford. (Some, like ABS, are mandatory.) Show them that even adults are faced with limitations on how far their money goes. Saturn is a great example because their prices are printed out; there's no haggling.

If the kids have internet access, have them plan a trip. Give them a city and a budget. Have them decide on a flight, hotels, restaurants, and sightseeing.

Is that any help at all?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

If you have access to Hands-On Equations, an instructional set with video, blacklines, demonstrator balance scale, and student sets, you could do a great demonstration. It is designed for grades 3 to 8 as an introduction to algebra and algebraic thinking.

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 3, 2007

Aliceacc, those are GREAT ideas! thanks so much--I will definitely be using them in my workshop. Upsadaisy, I don't have access to Hands-On Equations as I am a preschool teacher. Is it something you would recommend for a special needs group? I can pass the word on to the school I'll be at.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

There's also ordering a meal on a budget; you could perhaps even get a local restaurant to donate a master from which you could make menus.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

Then, in the interests of cutting down on obesity, you could do a quickie review of the food pryamid.

8. ChristineT

ChristineT New Member

Feb 8, 2007

A few more ideas:
    For fractions, bring in a couple of recipes and have them double or cut in half the ingrediants.
    Many grocery stores have online ordering sites. Have students make a list of the things they like to eat, then have them estimate the cost, finally have them look up the actual prices and add 'em up. They'll be surprised at how much junk food actually costs.

I also like to use sales ad from the Sunday flyer and have them find sale items and determine how much $$ they are saving. For instance if an item is listed as 29.00 and 30% off, how much will it cost? or if it says 29.99 regular price / sale price 23.99 what is the percentage off?

Classifieds are also great. Students can research how much an apartment might cost in their area and then figure out what type of salary they would need to make to live alone, live with a roommate, etc.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 8, 2007

MIND READING MATH Impress students with your mind reading abilities...Instruct them to follow these steps..
    Write down a three digit number. The firs and last digits must differ by more than one.
    Reverse the digits.
    Find the difference between the two numbers
    Reverse the digits in the answer and add. The answer is 1089! And always will be. Regardless of the number you begin with........

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

www.ReallyGoodStuff.com has a very nice magnetic set of fraction pieces in circles and rectangles. One year I required each of my students to buy one. They are about $8. I lent some of mine to the 4th grade teacher and she said her kids loved them.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 8, 2007

what about those calculator riddles. You type in math equations to solve the riddle, then turn the calculator upside down and it says a word (riddle answer)
    Dice games- You roll dice and multiply the numbers. Then add that to your total each time, who ever gets to one hundred first wins.

Games of probability using dice, spinners, marbles in a bag, or geo pieces in a bag.

Clock activities that they need to manuver the manual hands after reading the digital time on a command card...

create arrays using jelly beans or MnMs or skittles.
    Make fractions using colored candies. example: four fifths. Have the four in red and the fifth one in a different color...

Roman numerals matching or concentration game with the american numerical partner. make go fish cards using the roman numerals...

Do measurements with dollar store insects. Inch worms are popular but what if you find another object to represent a unit of measure? Perhaps you find a fly that is one inch. and they measure objects in FLIES... THEN, you find a fly swatter that is one foot or how about a fly swatter that is a YARD!
    You can make pudding with gummy worms with measuring cups, and counting the stirs per family member or timing etc...

12. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 8, 2007

Thank you all so much! I was dreading this training session; now I'm looking foward to having some fun with all the teachers--and hopefully they will be encouraged to try more "hands-on" math ideas.