Please help with guided reading

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Nov 18, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Nov 18, 2012

Hi Fellow K Teachers,

I need your help. I need some guidance for my guiding reading groups. I feel like I am not doing enough the kiddos...and sometimes I feel that I am doing too much. This is my first year teaching kindergarten…and my confidence drops during guiding reading time…which I know is one of the most important parts of the day. Can anyone recommend a book they read or some amazing guided reading program they use?? Sometimes, I feel lost with how to plan my lesson for those 15 minutes, and what to teach & when to teach it. I just wish I have some sort of “outline” to follow.
    I have some groups who are very high and are ready to begin reading instruction. I have another who doesn’t even know sounds yet.

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 18, 2012

Get the CAFE book for guided reading. It gives you explicit help with guided reading groups. If you are a fan of Pinterest, there are dozens of sites that will help you with guided reading as well as getting started with CAFE. (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Extend Vocabulary). Good luck! Help is a mouse click away!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2012

Let me start with the CAFE book isn't going to be much help to kindergarten and first as it would be to upper elementary. If you want to try this route, I would suggest the membership to the sisters' website (they actually have CAFE resources that are more directed at K).

Words their Way has been a great help with guiding my reading groups. We also use the Treasures Reading program which has some small group options that have been helpful.

Also, anything you can find on word families would be helpful for your higher readers.

In addition to what my district provided, I blend in some Project Read lessons (I got training on this in the past), A to Z readers, and Bonnie Klein stories.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 18, 2012

. I agree with the above. I work with all levels of students and know that our kinder teachers use the CAFE and it works extremely well with our youngest readers. They also use the Lucy Calkins units of study for writing and THE COMPRHENSION TOOL KIT for reading k-2. The students are progressing well. Since the above poster has a more intimate knowledge of the CAFE lessons in kinder, I must defer to your experience. Good luck to the OP.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2012

I too use the CAFE with my K readers, SC! It's just not the focus on my guided reading groups and isn't as helpful with setting up the groups for K. It's great with strategies to use but doesn't really help with how to structure a K group as much as the website.

But I do think it is a valuable resource.