Please help! Want to be a teacher in CALIFORNIA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shosho, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I want nothing more then to become an elementary school teacher here where I live in California. But as of right now I cannot afford the gas to commute to the Junior college that is 45 minutes away. They offer online classes but they are closed within a few days of them being opened.. I was wondering is there any online schools that would qualify me for my teaching license? Or even qualify me to become a teachers aid. I don't want to be a preschool teacher. I know that you have to get a Bachelors and then take a state wide test, but what i wonder is if any online school will qualifies me to take these tests? I don't mean like University of Phoenix or anything. I mean like a legit online school verified and accredited through the state of California. I want a real school that meets California's requirements.
    I have done so much research and can't find anything :dizzy:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

I think you should start at the CC, which is cheaper. You need to start with a general education, and then transfer to a 4-year university (is there one close to you?) and there you can go into any field, but you'll likely go into elementary ed. From there, you will need to go into a a credential program. For what you need, and where you are, I advise attending an actual school, which will be cheaper.

I think there is an online school, Kaplan, but I don't know what all they offer. Take it from someone who ended up with a lot of debt because of student loans, try to do it the most affordable way. Can you move closer to the community college?

4. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I can't go to Junior college right now. I know the obvious answer is to do 2 years at a Junior college and then transfer to a 4 year university. But I can't move right now. So Is there any online colleges that I can fully get my teaching degree from? Colleges like Kaplan, UOV, and Capella do have a teaching program but it isn't going to make me eligible to become a teacher in the state of California. It seems this state has more rigorous expectations.

5. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

It seems like you can get every degree online BUT a teaching degree.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

The thing is that your teaching degree comes last. You need a 4-year degree first.

Also, I suggested the CC because you said you don't have enough money to pay for the gas. If you can't afford gas, an online university is much more expensive than the gas you'd pay to commute.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

In CA, all you need is a BA degree in anything, and then enroll in a credential program. So, the credential comes last.

8. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

But I have to figure out if a BA from UOF or any other online college will qualify me to get a credential.

9. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I can get students loans to pay for the school online. Also online schools have book vouchers. So I can do it sitting at home for free. I won't have to pay back the student loans until I am done with school

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

If the CC online classes are closed within a few days of being opened, I would save and spend the gas money once to travel and register with an advisor. Or just be online and ready to jump as soon as courses are open for registration. That will at least give you a start. Good luck!

11. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

What if the credential program I want to enroll in doesn't recognize the online school?

12. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Junior college is out of the question. You have to get a higher registration date to be able to get into an online class. When you are new you get the lowest date. What I mean is when your new you don't get to register for classes until three weeks after everyone else, by that time all the online classes are gone. I can't just wait for the classes to open and register. For example summer online classes were closed within two days. The classes that were open had prerequisites that I did not qualify for.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

If the school is accredited, then I don't see why they wouldn't accept it, but I would definitely investigate all of this before making a commitment.

And, about those student loans, I owe 53K in student loans, so it all sounds great and wonderful until you graduate and can't even afford to pay on the interest, let alone the principal. Just be careful...

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

Exactly what TamiJ said.

Many people interested in being elementary teachers pursue a BA in Liberal Studies. Oregon State appears to have a good program for getting a BA in Lib Studies online - you might look into that. http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/ls/.

It doesn't matter so much where you get your BA from, as long as they are an accredited school. So, for example, if you got your BA from Oregon, you'd still have to do a credentialing program in CA, which would make you qualified to teach in CA.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

can you try it at least? Even if it's full, some might drop out. Maybe they have a waiting list you can be on and let you linger in the class, hoping it might open up.

16. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Ok so does anyone know of any online schools that will make me eligible to get a teaching credential? Junior college is out of the question.

17. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

I just posted a link....

18. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

How many years does it take to do the credentialing program? I will look into this Oregon school. Thank you

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

Here's a link to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing regarding becoming an elementary teacher: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/teach-elementary.html This is a list of all approved credentialing programs in the state: http://134.186.81.79/fmi/xs/CTC_apm/recordlist.html Also from the site: "I am a California resident and would like to obtain a credential to teach in an elementary or secondary school in California. What requirements do I need to complete?
    You will need to complete a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, the basic skills requirement, a full teacher preparation program at a California college or university which has a Commission-approved teacher preparation program, and be recommended to the Commission by that college or university. Since each institution has developed their own program based upon Commission standards, you must speak to the credentialing office at the college or university to find out which specific courses you must complete in order to be recommended by that institution for a credential."

As others have stated, the cost of getting a degree at an online school is going to be much higher than the cost of gas. If your CC offers online classes, you need to be ready to jump on them as soon as they become available. There's really no shortcut to becoming a teacher in CA; you need the BA and the post-graduate prep program.

20. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I tried to replay but it said a mod has to look at it first...idk

21. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Well since UOV AND capella are Regionally accredited those may work

22. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

Ok, google BA liberal studies online. There's a whole list that comes up. CSU Chico has a online ed program. Oregon State has an online ed program. I'm sure others on the list do too.

23. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

How long does the credentialing program take?

24. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

One year, minimum. You're looking at at least 4.5-5 years of school, depending on how many units you take.

25. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Alright thank you very much.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

The programs might vary based on school. I went to a private university, and the program was about a year long, plus about 16 weeks of student teaching. Then you have to pass your TPAs before they actually grant the credential.

27. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I can get my credentialing from the University of Stanislaus. But lets say I get my BA in liberal studies from a regionally accredited online school and the university I end up at won't accept it? Or does that just not happen?

28. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

If they are accredited, I doubt that would happen, but why don't you give their admissions department a call and ask if they accept degrees from ________ online school.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

I was thinking about getting a second bachelors degree from an online school, and then realized how much it would be.

I don't understand this logic of yours that because it would be too much, gas wise, to attend a junior college, that you would rather do an online school. If you find one where it's cheaper, then feel free to share it!!

Then you mentioned that the classes you need are already full. I have NEVER had an issue getting into a full class. Show up on the first day and you'll find that there will ALWAYS be students who didn't show up.

Also, you can try to take classes on certain days of the week. I was able to take a ton of classes on a MWF schedule.

Also, do you qualify for financial aid? Have you tried to apply for grant money?

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

This is so true! And, same here, I have never had issues with getting into full classes. Like Peachyness says, inevitably students drop out.

31. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

I think her logic is that it won't be as much out of pocket because of fin. aid as it would be for gas.

But really, don't pay 4 year prices for those core/elective course. If I could go back and do ANYTHING over, it would be to start at a CC for my basic English, Math and liberal arts courses. Would have saved me SO much money. One 3 credit class at my 4 year college was about $1200. At the CC it was $200!!

There is financial aid available for CC too so with some careful planning and saving (like scheduling all your classes on one day so you only make one round-trip) I bet you can manage! Where there is a will, there is a way---and 5 years from now when your student loans are $35,000 instead of $50,000 you'll be thankful.

Good luck!

32. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

You can't really "show up" to an online class. I could do 2 years at a junior college. But then I would need to do another 2 years getting my bachelors degree at a university which is the SAME price as online college. The Junior colleges in my area have atrocious waiting lists, they don't just accept everyone into their liberal studies program. I know people on 3 year long wait lists to become LVNS. What's the point of that? I can get it done online in my time frame. Capella university is 365 a credit for your undergraduate classes and 245 a credit for your general ed. The CSU in my area is more expensive then that.

33. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I have went to the Junior college in my area, nothing is better then showing up for lab on a Wednesday after spending your last 20$ on gas to find a sign on the door that says class was canceled.

34. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I could always spend $25,000 to become an LVN in 12 months. Come out and make double what a teacher makes.

Also where can you get a bachelors degree for 30k even?

35. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

You can also contact the professor directly, explain your situation, and ask to be put on a waiting list in the event that students drop the class.

Also, if you're spending your last $20 on gas, you may not be financially prepared to begin college right now. There are extra costs other than the tuition, fees, and course materials; books, supplies, and other unforseen costs can take you by surprise. It may be wise to take a year or two to work and save up some money before you begin college. There's nothing worse than starting a semester, only to find you can't afford to continue and have to withdraw and throw away all that money.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Well, I am just confused now because your initial post said you wanted nothing more than to become an elementary teacher, but now you are talking about becoming an LVN.

I think your specific questions can better be answered by picking up the phone and calling universities. We've done a pretty good job at answering your questions about the credential, but you seem to have specific questions, and those specific questions are better directed at specific colleges and universities.

Also, I would decide exactly what it is you really want to do before investing thousands of dollars into it.

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

If you are so broke, then what about financial aide? I had financial aide while I was at a community college and when I transferred to the university. I had all the help I needed, including free textbooks, bog waiver, all of it.

And back to your original question, I would definitely look into the Oregon Online school. That is where I was going to get my second degree at, until I saw the price. But, I heard they are really good.

38. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

My questions were answered by one person. I said in my original post that a CC or Junior college was out of the question. Yet a got a barrage of comments telling me to go to Junior college. I know its cheaper. I know I can get financial aid. I know all of this already. I have already spoken to a Representative at UOF and they have a liberal studies program that will make me a certified teacher.

39. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

It may be wise to do online college were there are non of these unforeseen expenses.

40. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Then it sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck with your studies!

41. Shosho

Shosho Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

If your classes are payed for, your books are payed for, what exactly is left? Other then the 100$ a week in gas money