Please help w/ this student!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Sep 14, 2013.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 14, 2013

I am at a lost...
    First grade.... refuses to do any sort of writing or art (in his art class). He is capable of writing. I've given him lots of supports to make writing easy for him. Won't even do it when it's just copying off the board. I ask him what is wrong so I can help solve the problem but he refuses to speak to me. He just stares off into space. (He speaks at other times though-- to friends, etc.) No consequence has any effect on him. It doesn't motivate him to do his work. He has lost 3 recesses in a row and still wouldn't. Sent the work home and parents did it with him there, but he IS going to need to do his work at home. I can't help him if he won't tell me what the problem is. Mom claims he is very stubborn. I feel like this is a control issue with him. What do I do??? I can't help if I don't know what the underlying problem is.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 14, 2013

What about rewards? Instead of giving him a consequence (which would also be my first course of action!) set it up as positive thing. Last year I had a student that adamantly refused to work, but if he knew he could play with the gears set afterwards (for like 10 minutes) he was ready to work!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2013

With a control issue, the best bet is to avoid setting up a confrontational situation. Give him two choices at all times and then ignore his poor choice and respond only when he chooses to do the assignment. Perhaps an unobtrusive reward (check, sticker?) for compliance if that works with your behavior system. Document what happens, of course, and be patient.