PLEASE help! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Bored of Ed, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2007

They teach you how to do thematic units... how to work with kids on the skills they need... and be in tune to noneducational parts of their lives... etc, etc...
    BUT in order to get a job you need to give a model lesson: something that can stand alone in 20 minutes and display your style while talking to kids whom you've never seen before.
    And NO ONE tells you how in the world to do that!:confused: :eek:

I need two types of help here:
    1. How to approach these things in general (I hope to land more interviews in the future)
    2. Ideas for Monday's model lesson.

So regarding #2:
    A small (8-10 kids) class, all boys, all with LD or behavior problems. About 10-11 years old, on a reading level about end of second/early third grade.
    They want the lesson to include reading, but preferably to tie into content area (I'd prefer that anyway)
    They said to plan for 20 minutes but expect to go over, hopefully no more than 1/2 hour total.

That's them.
    My idea was to do something in social studies or perhaps science. I was thinking of something about ecology/conservation, but I need help finding a book to go with it, either as a springboard for starting off or at the end to wrap it up and connect it to their lives.
    Do you know of any books, say about kids doing something to help keep their community green? Or maybe about how recycling works? I prefer fiction or nonfiction that's a story, as opposed to informational.
    I think, although the reading level is higher, for this situation I will stick with a picture book and just try to raise the level of processing because how much can you read and still have time to teach in 20 minutes?!
    Since I don't even have a book or story to work with yet, I'm not stuck on the conservation topic; it was just a thought. Any reccommendation would be welcome.

Another idea -- I found some good books that tie in very nicely with math. I think I am very good at designing math lessons that reach kids and teach concepts and skills. However, I think it's probably not a good idea to go into math in a short model lesson with kids I don't know. (My ideas would probably be above their level, anyway, but the principal who spoke to me said she'd rather I aim too high than too low.)

Here's the EMERGENCY -- I have to take a book out of the library TODAY for this, as it isn't open Saturday or Sunday and the lesson is Monday morning! If you have good ideas, I still need to pray that the library will have the book! (our public library is pretty well stocked.)

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

I just used a book a couple weeks ago called "Recycle Everyday" (Can't remember the author, and the book's still at school). Basically, the main character has to make a poster about recycling for a school project... so each day, her family tries to come up with different ways to recycle (donate used clothes, take canvas bags to the grocery instead of using plastic/paper, etc) and finally she gets an idea for her poster. The pictures are GREAT (collage-style). It was easy enough that my 3's and 4's understood it, but there's also a lot of info in there that older kids might like and be able to use as a springboard?

Maybe that helps?

4. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Hi, Bored! That seems like a tough thing to do when you have no history with the kids! Just did a quick search on Math and Literature. Maybe one of these would work for you....???? :) Best of luck!!

Probably stereotyping here, but I would think anything sports related would be good with boys in this age group. (Mean, Mode, Median, Range-using calcuators-based on sports scores.)

I don't have an idea of a book(Maybe Where in the World Is Carmen San Diego? , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER7gxmyn4-o) but we have played Battleship, using an overhead of map of the US/World where the teams tried to sink each other's ships by giving the latitude/longitude coordinates-the kids really had fun with that.

These are links to Math and Literature lesson ideas:

http://www.k-state.edu/smartbooks/strandindex.html

http://www.k-state.edu/smartbooks/Lesson031.html

http://sci.tamucc.edu/%7Eeyoung/ratio_prop_literature.html

http://sci.tamucc.edu/%7Eeyoung/middle_school_literature.html

http://www.mathcats.com/grownupcats/ideabankmathandliterature.html

Just another thought...PBS has some really great innovative lesson plans for teachers in all subject areas, arranged by grade levels. :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

I would personally rather do a social studies lesson with this type of group. Try

U.S. Senate: Reference Home > White House KidsWhite House Kids http://www.whitehouse.gov/kids. Geared for grade school students, this Web site provides presidential biographies, a “freedom timeline,” ...
    www.senate.gov/reference/bibliography/kids/Presidency/White_House_Kids.htm - 28k -
    The White House for KidsA history and tour of the White House especially for kids.
    www.whitehouse.gov/kids/ - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Life in the White HouseWhite House Kids Front Page · White House Kids Front Page ... Barney Cam: Play Video The White House is more than 200 years old and its next door neighbor, ...
    www.whitehouse.gov/kids/whlife/index.html - 28k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.whitehouse.gov ]

White House for KIDS!!! - WHITEHOUSE.ORGTotally kewl and radical stuff about President George W. Bush and the White House - JUST FOR KIDS!
    www.whitehouse.org/kids/index.asp - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

The Ronald Reagan Memory Game - WHITEHOUSE.ORGFor Kids Only! Patriotic Posters · Ask the White House · White House History · White House Tours · Western White House · ¡En Español! ...
    www.whitehouse.org/kids/reagangame.asp - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.whitehouse.org ]

White House for KidsWelcome to the White House for Kids. Hi! I'm Socks. And I'm Buddy. We live at the White House, and we will be your guides to the White House web site. ...
    clinton4.nara.gov/WH/kids/html/home.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Kids in the White HouseMany Presidents have had children or grandchildren who lived with them or visited often at the White House. Chelsea Victoria, daughter of Bill and Hillary ...
    clinton4.nara.gov/WH/kids/html/children.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Kids in the House - Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of RepresentativesEducational site for kids, parents and teachers. Learn about Congress and lawmaking, download lesson plans and play games.
    clerkkids.house.gov/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Ben's Guide (3-5): Government Buildings - The White HouseVisitors who tour the White House are able to see the most beautiful and historic ... out The White House for Kids or the Virtual Tour of the White House. ...
    bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/symbols/whitehouse.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Welcome to the White House for KidsWelcome to the White House for Kids. Cartoon image of Socks and Buddy Hi! I'm Socks. And I'm Buddy. We live at the White House, and we will be your guides ...
    clinton2.nara.gov/WH/kids/html/home.html - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

The White HouseAnd if a visitor to the site does not start on the Welcome to the White House for Kids page, navigating could be a bit cumbersome. ...
    associates.ucr.edu/brooks300.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

Constitution for Kids (4th-7th Grade) - The U.S. Constitution ...An introduction to constitutional topics for upper elementary school kids.
    www.usconstitution.net/constkids4.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

The Constitution for Kids (8th-12th Grade) - The U.S. Constitution ...An introduction to constitutional topics for middle and high school kids.
    www.usconstitution.net/constkids.html - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.usconstitution.net ]

For Kids - National Constitution CenterTHE U.S. CONSTITUTION · INTERACTIVE CONSTITUTION · CONSTITUTIONAL TIMELINE ... Home > Explore the Constitution > For Kids. For Kids. Kid Interactive Game ...
    www.constitutioncenter.org/explore/ForKids/index.shtml - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

The Constitution of the United StatesLinks to information about the Constitution. ... White House Kids ... The Constitution of the United States Lynne Cheney, author, scholar and wife of Vice ...
    www.whitehouse.gov/kids/constitution/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

The US Constitutional History QuizWhite House Kids ... The U.S. Constitution is the oldest constitution still in effect in the world. Test your knowledge of this important document. ...
    www.whitehouse.gov/kids/constitution/quiz/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.whitehouse.gov ]

Ben's Guide (3-5): The ConstitutionThree months later and after a lot of debate and compromise, on September 17, 1787, the Constitution of the United States was finally accepted by the ...
    bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/documents/constitution/index.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

U.S. Constitution ResourcesThe U.S. Constitution Online presents The Constitution for Kids (Kindergarten–Grade 3). This site explains the basics and history of the Constitution, ...
    www.umuc.edu/constitution/resources.html - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Congress for KidsUncle Sam is guide through Congress for Kids. He will introduce you to a new skill or bit of knowledge, ... Constitution: Writing the Constitution ...
    www.congressforkids.net/Constitution_writingconstitution.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

The ConstitutionThe Constitution is the basis for government in the United States. It spells out how the government is formed, who makes it up, and how to pass and amend ...
    www.socialstudiesforkids.com/subjects/constitution.htm - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2007

Thanks... still fishing for good books, I think I can make a lesson up myself if I have something to go with. My issue is that they specifically want it to include a book.

Also, I don't know how to plan for 20 minutes! There are lots of great lesson plans out there, and I have some too, but all need time!

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 1, 2007

PLT

This link should have ready lesson plans to study on the topics you mentioned. Hands on, ready to be used, made for all age levels and also divided into subjects:

http://www.plt.org

(Project Learning Tree)