Please help!! Question about job offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sammi2486, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Hello All,
    Here is my situation, I am a new teacher and I had a phone interview with a school in another state two weeks ago. The principal offered me the job at that time but explained that HR does the official hiring.
    In those two weeks, I have not heard anything from HR about a written offer. Should I start to worry?
    Also, I am planning on visiting the state where I accepted the job to look for an apartment, the issue here is that the apartments are asking for proof of employment and, obviously, I still don't have an official offer; just verbal. Is it acceptable for me at this point to call HR and ask about the status or not? I'm expected to be moved in by August 10th to begin a new teacher orientation, so I need to get the ball rolling.
    I appreciate any suggestions or sharing of past experiences.
    Thanks so much:)

Sammi2486

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

Wow, I would contact the principal and HR immediately, before even visiting the state.

Good luck!

4. teach_4_ever

teach_4_ever Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I would contact HR and let them know your situation. Maybe they can send you something saying that you will be working there or if the apartment people call they will say you are going to be employed. Good luck!

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I worried last year that I would be in your position.

I think a friendly call to the HR office explaining your situation (the P you talked to, position you were offered, date, etc.) would do wonders. Ask what the next steps are in the hiring process and explain your quandry with the apartment. My district gave me a paper stating my starting salary for the year and that it was a 1 year contract with the possibility of renewal. Most apartments need to know that you are not only employed but how much your salary is.

Good luck! I'm sure this will work out. Sometimes the HR dept. and principals aren't quite on the same time schedule as those of the dedicated job seekers.

6. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Thank you all so much for you input :)
    I called HR at 8am, had to leave a voicemail, hopefully they will call back soon.
    I will keep everyone posted.
    Thanks again :)

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

Let us know when you hear something! I hope they get back to you quickly so you can move forward with apartment hunting! :)

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2010

Why not send the P an email? I would send a friendly email to your principal and say how excited you are to be working at Amazing Elementary. Then tell her that you are looking forward to hearing from personnel to get confirmation on that end. Her email back to you will calm your fears.

9. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I did contact the P last week via-e-mail expressing my thanks/excitment to be joining the staff. He then informed me he had heard nothing official from HR, but that this was normal.....and not to worry.

10. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

UPDATE!!!

I just got off the phone with HR...they are claiming that they do not have any of my supporting documents.....funny thing as I sent them to the HR Director 3 WEEKS AGO....before I even had the interview. The P even confirmed this with me after my interview....
    Now to make things more interesting, the HR director is on vacation until Monday.....

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

Ok, I'm in a strikingly similar situation to you (got a job in a different state, haven't signed my contract, need to move there soon, contacted HR and they didn't have me in the system?!?!)... turns out that in my case it was due to a computer glitch, so I'm back on track, but in the meantime I asked my new principal to send me a quick email indicating my employment. That's what I'm planning to use for any apartment that wants proof.

12. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

What are the advantages/disadvantages by going through HR?

I've completed the application process through HR and it's not until I receive my 1 yr certificate that I'll actually start Principal interviews.

13. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I requested something similar of HR...even asked if the P could do something like that and I was told nothing could be done until the final paper work goes through.....

14. Sammi2486

Sammi2486 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Youmanj,
    That is interesting..I've had a number of interviews with principals and the like, and my certificate came in the mail today.
    Every school district that I had applied to I sent a cover letter, resume, transcripts, letters of rec, and anything else required to the Director of HR. Most applications I have seen require the applicant to send in these documents to HR, otherwise the application will not be processed and not provided to principals.