Please help! Need hands-on math curriculum

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flwrchld, Jun 5, 2010.

1. flwrchld

flwrchld New Member

Jun 5, 2010

Help! I am looking for a good hands-on math curriculum for a pre-k class and have no clue where to look!

3. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Jun 5, 2010

I would recommend using books like "More Than Counting", "Much More Than Counting", and "Math at Their Own Pace", in addition to math ideas you find on the internet rather than purchasing a curriculum. The curriculums that I've seen for preschool (& I've seen a lot of them) are not worth the paper they're printed on.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2010

I agree with the above poster.

Your imagination and a wide variety of manipulatives and fun objects to count, sort and pattern are all you need in preschool. Of course teacher's stores sell many different types of counters but don't forget the ordinary, cheap things you can easily find - shells, rocks, felt pieces, lids, beans, etc. Haunt your local dollar store, take hikes, collect weird stuff and you will be set for life.

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 5, 2010

mr. Absolutely wonderful!!! That is exactly the type of activity I would use. Mine are based upon a book called Work Jobs.

And I agree with PP. Look up the PS standards for your state and use that as your guide. You can develop your own math curriculum.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

I agree with mrgrinch and blue. All of the items that he posted are alive and well in our classroom as well. I would like to add the "roll and move" game that has come very popular in our room.

Find, and then roll, the large dice (so they aren't a hazzard if your group is young like mine) and move the number thematically aligned items. The die can be a gaming type so that it has 10 or 12 sides, there are blinking die, you can roll two or more die and have the counting on skill to work on.......there are many variations of this basic game.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 12, 2010

I made my own. for number recognition I made bingo games, and I made some they can play without a teacher. They can draw a card and count the dots on the card to know the number and find the match on the playing card, I made one with a bingo game cards and a spinner wheel that does the same thing. I made frogs and lily pads and they have to match the frog to the lily pad. All are self correcting. the frogs have spots on one side and a number on the other--they can count the spots to figure out the number and the lily pads are the same way. I hang the lily pads on the walls, throw the frog cut outs on the floor and they grab a frog and find the match and then tell me the number. I made giant number dice out of foam florist blocks. Each side has a number and corresponding number of dots. They roll the die and tell me the number. When I introduce adding they roll two and count up all the dots, for subtracting they roll two, choose the larger number (has the most dots) and cover up (or we use a dry erase marker to cross off) the number of dots represented by the smaller number to find the answer. We also play a game called "feed the frog"-- I take fly swatters (the frogs)and wrap them with masking tape-sticky side out and flies that have numbers on them, which I scatter around the floor. They catch the flies by slapping them with the fly swatter and then tell me the number as we pull them off. I have small flies with no numbers and they do the same thing but have to count them as we pull them off. We make a chart to see who got the most.