Please help me with these interview questions.

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Miss Nelson, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Mar 4, 2007

I had only 2 interviews last year ( I have a teaching job, but want to change), a couple of the questions tripped me up a bit. " Describe what your classroom would look like" How would you teach a multi grade classroom" and "tell me what a day in your classroom would be like"
    Any advise on how to answer these questions would be helpful. I do not know what they are looking for when they ask those queations.

Thanks

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2007

4. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2007

Those are tough questions! I think what they usually want to know when they ask questions like that is, will you be doing everything you can to get your students engaged and will they be working and learning. I don't think they're asking how you'll decorate your room. Since you already have your own classroom, this will be fairly easy for you, 'cause you know what it looks like.
    I would say something like, the environment in my classroom is organized to facilitate learning. The students in my class are engaged and actively learning through instruction, independent, and group activities...blah, blah, blah.
    How would you teach a combo class? You'd have it set up so that, the children know what to do all day long. (i.e., when they come in in the morning, they take out their math books, journals, etc., and begin working on the POD or something like that.) Here, a combo teacher only has to teach the standards for one grade. Say, a 4-5 combo would teach 5th grade standards. The 4th graders go out to 4th grade only teachers for language arts, etc. But if you have to teach both grades at the same time, I feel sorry for you! I guess you'd have to sort of "flip flop" the instruction. While you teach 5th grade lang arts, the 4th graders would be working independently in centers. Then the 5th grade would go to centers while you taught the 4th graders.
    I don't know if this is helpful, I hope so. Don't worry so much about the questions. If you really want perfect answers, I can email them to you, I got a lot of help from an administrator with mine and I saved the q & a's. But, when I used them and had the perfect interview, I didn't get the job. When I interviewed and just gave the answers my way, in 20 minutes I was offered a contract.
    But, the district I'm in really cared more that I cared about the kids (i.e., how will you help a child to feel good about themselves if they have not been successful in school? "I'd give them many opportunities to succeed") than technical questions (i.e., how will you set up your reading groups? "I'd test them and then place them by ability, moving them up as they grow in fluency) Hope some of this was helpful.

5. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

thanks I will read through that thread. That was what I was thinking about saying as a reply to the combo class question. It is so hard when you try to get a "correct" reply or ace a perfect interview. I guess you come off as robotic or unnatural.

6. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2007

Exactly.