Please help me with live streaming

Discussion in 'General Education' started by deannathomas, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. deannathomas

deannathomas Rookie

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM

Sooooo, my school is requiring us to live stream our lessons for students who will not be in school. We will still teach the students in our classroom, but we will have students log in from home to watch (and I am assuming they can ask/type questions too???)

Aside from my personal dislike for being watched all day by anyone who might be at home with the students, I also have no idea what how I am going to manage this. How do I handle assignments and materials? What about the hands-on activities that we do in class? How do I make the child at home feel like a part of the class, when I will have in person students needing my attention? We have been given no guidance. All we know is that we will have cameras in our room and parents can log in to watch.

Please give my some tips, advice, links.....anything! I have searched the internet, but I cannot find any information about teaching in person and managing online students at the same time.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:11 PM

I'd find out a few things first:

1. What live streaming service would they like you to use?
    (Zoom, Google Meets, the one your district owns, other)

2. Do you have a little camera that can plug into a laptop? If not, make sure what device they want you to use for the camera?

3. As far as documents go, you could use Google Classroom. It is free. It is easy to use and there are good videos on YouTube on how to use it. Otherwise, you could e-mail the parents the documents as a last resort.

I'd probably have the camera facing you while you teach and then adjust the camera to focus on some document you want them to read while you go help students. If you can get away with it, I would mute the sound while you go around helping others. This should help your sanity in doing something that would drive you crazy if the sound and video had to be on you all 6 hours.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:54 PM

I know this is not a helpful response, but whoever decided this was a good idea clearly has not been in a classroom. It's not like teachers lecture all day. This will either severely limit what you can do with the students in your classroom or the students at home will be left out. It's both a distraction and a burden to you. Not to mention it brings up privacy issues.

I wish I had suggestions. I feel for you.

bella84 likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:55 AM

I wanted to post to say I’m in the same situation with the same requirements. It’s ridiculous for so many reasons.

My lessons will be entirely on Google Classroom. I refuse to plan two separate lesson plans for one day in addition to the other cr@p they have us doing. So, I’ll explain the content, and they can work on it on a computer either at home or in the classroom.

Sorry to sound negative, but I’m very unhappy with the plan! They asked for teacher input from a few experienced teachers, myself included, and then ignored everything we said and did what they wanted anyway.

The “teachers don’t lecture all day” argument is a good one and hasn’t been addressed by our admin, although it’s been asked. I teach upper elementary and attention spans are short. Normally, I give a short lesson, do some practice together, and then give time for independent work. I’m not sure whether we’ll be required to keep the camera on for the independent work portion or not.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. deannathomas

deannathomas Rookie

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Thank you for the advice. I feel so alone and unprepared right now. I have two weeks to get a plan together for how to do this. I have been teaching for over 10 years, but I feel like a first year teacher!