Please help me escape Worksheet Overload!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newteech, Aug 11, 2010.

1. newteech

newteech Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Kids in K-12 education need to practice the skills they've been taught. You can't just lecture on a subject and expect students will then know everything about it. I feel worksheets have their place, however I wonder if I'm relying on them too much.

What ways do you use to have kids practice skills without using worksheets?

Thank you!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

My students love working on the individual whiteboards. We use them frequently for review where they write their responses on the boards and then everyone presents their answer by holding up the boards. What I find amazing is that they will work on anything for as long as I want them to when they can do it with a dry erase marker.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

In class, I'll teach a new type of problem, and do a few examples.

We as a class will come up with notes to describe the Process involved.

Then I'll put up 5 or 6 examples-- as many as can be put up on the board at once and give the kids time to work them out. I'll call kids up to put the examples up, while adding one more for all those kids still at their seats. We'll go over those then do the next set.

Not exactly a worksheet, but lots of drill.

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

If I have a large packet we will work on it for only part of the class and do an activity for the other portion of class. This makes the worksheet take longer (more days) but, it breaks it up.

If you have mature kids you can have kids in groups answer questions together and present their answers to the class.

6. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I was able to teach math with individual whiteboards during my student teaching semester. The kids absolutely loved using them! I liked them, too. Well, except for the marker smell. :)

I wonder if districts typically pay for the marker boards, or is this an out-of-pocket teacher expense? (Wish I would've asked my cooperating teacher about this!)

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2010

Read the book on literacy stations by Debbie Diller and the Daily 5 and Cafe book by Gail and Joan.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2010

It depends on the district. If you have to buy your own, get showerboard from Lowe's or Home Depot and have it cut into the size boards you would like.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

I've taught high school biology and high school chemistry. We only did two worksheets in biology. One where the kids colored a food web and one where they colored a cross section of cells. There was no need for drills or practices with biology.

With chemistry there were several chapters where the students did worksheet after worksheet. The more practice the better. So I don't think worksheets are horrible. I think they have their place in a curriculum. It just depends on the situation.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Check out Work Sheets Don't Grow Dendrites.

11. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2010