PLEASE help me brainstorm!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Sep 22, 2005.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 22, 2005

I am going insane trying to think of a topic to research for my masters thesis. Please help me narrow one of these topics.

Here are my ideas:

1.) Writing Workshop: I teach first grade and do a writer's workshop program with my kids where they go through the writing process and ultimately create their own little books. I thought maybe I could research into mini lessons or writing workshop conferences????? I have
    no clue how to go about testing this in my classroom.

2.) I do individualized spelling with my kids where they each have their own list of words that are taken from their reading skills (as assessed through running records). I thought maybe I could research into the best way to teach spelling? How would I test this in my class to get data????

PLEASE HELP! I will feel so much better once I have a topic nailed down and can start researching in more depth.

Any other ideas/opinions would be great!

3. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 23, 2005

With writing workshop...I think it's great. We do it even in K...

There's no test...but what you can do is use a rubric for scoring their writing. Do an initial scored writing at the beginning of the year, then middle of the year...noting what's really improved and what hasn't..then again at the end of the year. Model Model Model how to do writing!!!

Lucy Calkins has some great books out there as well as Ralph Fletcher and lots of other "writing gurus". Maybe they can help you find what you're looking for. Good luck!