PLEASE HELP! Lost for Words

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher0909, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I know my post is long, but I'm dire need of your help. In December I had to take medical leave to receive chemo treatments. A teacher from the elementary school was brought over to fill in while I was out. I was expected to be out six weeks, but due to uncontrolled circumstances, I was out longer. I kept in contact with my principal through it all. When I got the date of my return, I informed her. After a few days, we spoke again. This time she told me the other teacher would stay in the room until the end of the year to give the kids some continuity. I reluctantly said okay. We hung up and I started questioning what did all of that mean for me so I called her back. She told me I would be in another room helping with some sped and ELL students and assured me again it would be until the end of the year. Over the weekend I got a phone call from another teacher who said the teacher was boxing some of my things. I didn't think anything about it. I knew she would be there until the end of the year so I thought maybe she needed some room for some of her stuff. She also informed me that one of our special education teachers would be moving back to the elementary school. I returned to work that Monday and found the key to the new room in my mailbox. I went to the room and saw boxes randomly and messily placed on and around a desk as I walked in the classroom. I thought wow she's already packing her things to go back to the elementary school. I sat at a desk and waited for the teacher to come and was looking around the room when I recognized some things sticking out of the boxes. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Those were my things! All of it! Every bit of it! My classroom had been cleaned out and the contents had been delivered to this room and nobody told me! I immediately called my principal. She explained that
    she asked the other teacher to pack up my things so I wouldn't have to when I came. I asked why would my things need to be packed in the first place? She didn't answer. I reminded her of our conversation we had just had a few days ago when she told me that the elementary teacher would only be there until the end of the year. At this point I was livid because I realized what was happening. Up until this point she had not given me any indication that this was going to happen. I told her what seemed like a temporary situation now seemed permanent and asked what did this mean long term. She simply stated that if I wanted a job there's an opening in the sped department. I said so you're telling me my job is no longer mine, and I asked this several times, but she would never said no, she just kept saying that if I want a job there's an opening in the sped department. She said she had spoken to the sped director and the sped director said that if I liked the job that I could come back next year. So...if I don't like it, I'm out of a job?! I decided to ask her one last question, and her answer shocked me to my core. I asked her if I had not gotten sick and didn't need two months of chemo would I still have my job and she said yes. I was done talking to her at that point. She was on her way to a conference. I simply told her to have a good day, and I hung up the phone. I couldn't believe it, but that wouldn't be the worse thing I would hear that day. It continued to get worse. What was happening? I had just returned to the school I love after enduring months of chemo. I felt like I could conquer the world. Now there I was standing outside a classroom crying my eyes out like I had lost everything I loved Honestly, that's exactly how I felt. I had no idea it was about to get worse. After talking with teachers in my department and several other teachers and staff, the information I received had me so shocked that I remained upset and saddened for the rest of the week. As a matter of fact, I still am. Here's where things take a strange and unnecessary turn. The day that I called the principal and discussed my return, she and the assistant principal went around the school and either told people directly or told them to spread the word that I would be going to the sped department to finish the year and the other teacher would finish the year in my room, which I knew. But here's the strange part; that she would be here next year and that I would be in sped next year! That I had spoken to
    the principal about it and had agreed to it and had wished the other teacher well! ALL LIES. Why was the entire school notified about next year, on the same day that I spoke to the principal but we never discussed any of that. Then she gives the new teacher the go ahead to move my stuff! She even told the new teacher those same lies about me know and agreeing to everything. It can't get any worse right? Wrong! So now I also learn that the teacher who is moving to the elementary is actually moving back immediately, and I'll have the students on my own. I'm not even sped certified! As it happened with me, all the staff found out this lady was being moved before she did also. She was attending a workshop and did not find out until that Friday and the the staff found out the day before. Things get better with time, right? So as the week goes by, I'm hoping to get some resolve. I waited for my principal to call me to her office to have a face to face with me
    to explain everything. She never said a word to me. She carried on as if nothing even happened. I didn't know what to make of it. Then came that Thursday that just broke my spirit and brought me to this forum for help. The sped teacher who's moving to the elementary school had to go to an IEP meeting that morning. About an hour later she came back into the room with this lady that I recognized but had never spoken to nor had been formally introduced to. She had a confused look on her face as she walked in my direction. She reached her hand out and introduced herself as the sped director and offered an apology. I didn't know why she was apologizing, but I assumed she had heard about all the drama and was feeling sorry for me. She said she would be back to talk to me and gave me a hug and apologized again and left. When she left the sped teacher identified the woman as the sped director and explained that the principal had lied! It all came back to me at that moment and so did the anger! The principal had told me on Monday that she had spoken to the sped director, and told me the sped director said that if I liked sped I could come back next year. The sped director never said that! She had no idea I was even there. She also had no idea that the sped teacher was going back to the elementary school that week! She even told her that she didn't have to take the job if she didn't want it! After hearing this, I was completely broken at that point. I simply felt out of place. I thought I had a good relationship with my principal and never expected to be treated like this. Never have I been reprimanded for anything. Never have I gotten a bad teacher observation. Never have I been told I have bad classroom management. Nothing! I get along with everyone. I respect everyone. I absolutely love my students, and I work to the best of my ability. Oh, did I mention I was not only the teacher of the year for my school but also for my district too last year? Can anyone give me any advice? I've never been in a situation like this. Where do I go from here? I've been teaching for almost ten years. I've never experienced anything like this. Thanks for caring!

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 11, 2017

What does your Union say? Something smells seriously illegal.

otterpop and Peregrin5 like this.
  4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Mar 11, 2017

Do you have a union? Tenure protections?

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 11, 2017

I would recommend phoning the American Cancer Society at 1-800-227-2345.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Mar 11, 2017

Did you sick days or Family Leave Act?

7. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

My coworkers feel the same. I didn't want it to come to that, but it doesn't she's giving me a choice. Thanks for the advice.

8. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I was not aware of this. Thanks so much. I'll definitely look into it.

9. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I'll be contacting them Monday. I didn't want it to come to this, but I don't have a choice.

10. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I was on family medical leave the entire time.

11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 11, 2017

Sounds like my district. Sounds like my principal. I'm fairly certain that there is an secret government asylum out there in the mountains somewhere churning these nut cases out in droves and sending them into schools as part of some sick experiment.

You likely did not document all these conversations as they happened. Get everything you can remember written down in chronological order as clearly as possible. Make note of others who are involved with the situation and summarize what they would know.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 11, 2017

This is morally and ethically wrong on so many levels.

You may have to take legal action if your union isn't able to help. Hopefully, they'll be of assistance, though.

otterpop and a2z like this.
  13. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I hope they can advise me because I don't know what to do. I'll call them Monday. I really hate it's coming to this. What's hurting more than anything is that I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave the school. I teach 9th graders but I try to be that teacher to them all, and I feel that school is where I belong. I truly feel those kids need me and I want to be there for them. It's just a sad situation.

14. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

No, I didn't document any of them. I have the text message that says I need to talk to her asap bc I'm very upset. That was in reference to me realizing my stuff was in the room and I couldn't get her on the phone and she called me back. I do believe the assistant principal was in the car with her when she kept repeating that if I want a job there's an opening in sped. Also there's the fact that the other teacher was not given a choice. She was told to go to the elementary school. The staff was told the same thing about her too, that she knew and had agreed to it. She didn't find out she had been moved until the next day. She can't say that we are both not telling truth. Ok listen to this. I forgot to mention in my original post that the other teacher, the one who was filling in for me who came from the elementary school... IS A CERTIFIED SPED TEACHER!!! That's what she was doing before they moved her. Also, there's the sped director who didn't know I was in the room. She should have never had me in that room without the director knowing so did you or did you not talk to her? How did I know that it was the sped director who had to approve my hiring if the principal hadn't told me? I told the sped teacher that morning when she got there and she'll gladly attest to that. There's just too many people involved in this mess at this point.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2017

If you have email contact info for your union rep, I would contact them today then follow up with a phone call first thing Monday morning.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2017

I wonder if your P does the same crappy stuff to people coming off maternity leave?
    While you are waiting to talk to the union, can you read through your contract and see what clauses apply to your situation?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2017

I don't understand how they could put you in sped if you arent sped certified? that might be the angle from which to fight this horrible treatment.

18. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 12, 2017

Definity look at your contract. I now ours allows for you to be gone on medical leave up to a year without losing your position.also call the union.

Teacher0909 likes this.
  19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 12, 2017

When you return from FMLA leave, you are not guaranteed your exact position. You have to be given a position comparable and with the same salary. While frustrating, and certainly questionable, I'm not certain your principal acted illegally. I might consult with an attorney instead of just your union.

czacza likes this.
  20. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 12, 2017

Get a lawyer and/or your union involved immediately! They do have to offer you a comparable position, and something for which you are not certified does not fit that bill.

yellowdaisies, czacza and Teacher0909 like this.
  21. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 12, 2017

I've been told the P and several others have a personal relationalship with the other teacher. They all associate with the same circles and all. This lady was actually teaching sped st the elementary school but is not returning.

22. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 12, 2017

That's exactly what I thought! I read the guidelines for FML ACT and that's exactly what it says. I have to be given my job or one of equal status. I didn't think Sped was equal because I'm not certified and in order for me to even keep the job I'll have to pass the pay to take the Praxis and I have to pass it! If I don't pass it in that year, I'll have to move on.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  23. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Mar 13, 2017

From where I'm sitting, it appears that someone is trying to run you out of the corporation. You need a union. You need a lawyer. Your situation is time sensitive. Anonymous strangers on a forum can't help you with this problem.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 13, 2017

Hoping there has been some swift motion on your behalf now that the work week has begun.

25. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Mar 14, 2017

Please keep us posted. This is horrible and while we all like to think that it could never happened to us...

There is no way that putting you in a job that you arent certified for is considered a comparable position. Thats like putting a nurse in a doctors job. You cant just hand someone a job that they cant legally do long term and call it comparable. One of these things is not like the other.

ecteach likes this.
  26. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Mar 15, 2017

This infuriates me! You should be focusing solely on getting better and not on where you'll be teaching. This is total $#!+. If you can't sue over this I'm not sure what you could sue over. Good luck. Many good vibes coming your way.