Please help, interview question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine2, Apr 8, 2008.

1. sunshine2

sunshine2 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

I went to a job fair and I was asked this question:
    Describe you approach for teaching math.
    I talked about using manipulative during math lessons. I just wonder what else I can say in order to answer questions like this one. Thanks

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

The use of manipulatives is a great part of the answer. I found that for both reading and math, admins. were looking for the real-world connections. So, if the children were learning fractions, we might use pizzas as a theme.

4. sunshine2

sunshine2 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

Thank you Jw13
    I wish I could elaborate more in my answer that is why I want to see how other people would answer that questions. anybody else want togive it a try?

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

My answer is a lot like jw's. Using manipulatives and relating math to real life situations. Also, if a student is struggling with a math problem I'll say, "Can you draw a picture?" I try to give them ways to solve it.

6. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

I would have said the same thing. This is my 1st yr. teaching tho, so now after teaching I may have said to make it fun by using examples of fun things too. For example, the math lesson I did yesterday used pattern blocks and we pretended that one of them was cake and the others were icing. They couldnt really eat it obviously, but they had fun pretending. Today I taught them the comparison symbols, and they LOVED learning about the alligator teeth.