Please help! Gingerbread man

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Dec 14, 2005.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Dec 14, 2005

Next Tuesday, my entire grade level will be doing Christmas
    Around the World. I will teach one 45 minute lesson about
    Germnay to each first grade class (there are 5). I want to
    do something with gingerbread men. The problem is that this
    will be for 100 kids (20 kids per class). I was thinking
    about making gingerbread man cookies and having them frost
    and decorate them , but I am not sure if I want to go to
    that trouble, both with time and money. Can you think of a
    fun project with gingerbread that would be fun for the
    kids, yet simple as well? I will read the gingerbread man
    story before doing an activity. Thanks!

3. fourth-newbie

fourth-newbie Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Gingerbread House Craft

Hi,
    In Kindergarten we always used graham crackers to form the house, and royal icing as the "glue". Parents were asked ahead of time to send in a box of graham crackers and/or candy of any kind to decorate with. We also asked for foil to "wrap" a piece of cardboard, which was the base. Two small milk (the kind from the cafeteria) cartons were first taped together as a form and then the crackers were glued to that as walls and roof. It requires a bunch of prep., but the results were worth it. If you'd like more details, e-mail me. Much Luck!!!

4. fourth-newbie

fourth-newbie Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Oops...I forgot the "simple" part in your question.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2005

I know the christmas tree started in germany. There is a GREAT book called the family christmas tree by tommie depola (sp??) then they could decorate a tree with glitter, etc.

Or you can still do the gingerbread but give each child a cooke (of the gingerbread man) and ask them to predict how many bites it would take to eat him. They can write it down on a dy cut of the gingerbread man and put it on a big piece of paper taped to the chalk board. (make it cute) then have them eat it and see who's estimation was the closest and give them a sticker or somehting. Not sure if this made sense. Its easier to see :)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 14, 2005

Cut gingerbread men out of brown paper or sandpaper. Have them decorate those.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 14, 2005

there is a lot of German kinds of Christmas cookies, maybe there are some a little easier?

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 14, 2005

there are also some small gingerbread cookies you can buy, they come in a sack, I think they are "mother's " brand,

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

do a gingerbread man glyph with them.

10. fourth-newbie

fourth-newbie Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

Okay...How about ask the kids to trace a gingerbread man pattern on brown construction paper, then kids can add details with crayons, and cut out. Next have a word list prepared and xeroxed for each child with "ginger bread words" that they cut and glue onto the corresponding body part or whatever. Maybe words like: head, arm, button, frosting, leg, belly, etc. OR Christmas words OR sight words OR spelling words? Also, you could write little words on the gingerbread man/woman/child and have the kids cut out the xeroxed pictures, then match & glue the picture onto the xeroxed word to practice initial consonants or something.

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 14, 2005

I like this idea! Then add a ribbon and they can hang it on their Christmas tree at home!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

You can rub cinnamon sticks on the sandpaper to make them smell good, too! :)

13. iloverecess

iloverecess Rookie

Dec 15, 2005

If you do the paper/sandpaper your school might even have a GBman die cut.

Here's a completely different idea for Germany...

I had the kids make spider ornaments using a large and a small (gold) jinglebell. The legs were made from gold pipcleaners (cut in half). The first "legs" are threaded thru the eye of the larger bell (body) and one is bent into a V shape. The bell sits at the bottom of the V. One twist is made and then the small bell (head) is threaded onto one of the legs and pulled down to meet up with the body. Another twist is made to hold the head in place. Spread the legs out to look spidery.

I paraphrased this story, but sent the printed version home for parents.

Legend of the Christmas Spider ~ Have you ever wondered why many Christmas Trees are decorated with sparkling tinsel? According to German legend, it signifies a Christmas miracle from many years ago.

The day before Christmas, as a small house in Germany underwent its Christmas Eve cleaning, the resident spiders, not wanting to be swept up with the broom, hid in the attic. When night came and all were settled into bed, the spiders crept downstairs. To their amazement, in the middle of the living room was a beautifully decorated Christmas Tree! They were so excited that they ran all over the tree, wanting to see every lovely ornament. Unfortunately, they left a trail of spider webs everywhere they went and a gray cobweb now covered the whole tree.

Weihnachtsmann, also known as Father Christmas, arrived and was pleased that the happy spiders had enjoyed seeing the tree, but he also thought of how sad the family would be when they saw the tree covered in spider webs. What could he do? He thought and thought and came up with a wonderful solution. He turned all the webs into shimmering silver strands.

When the family awoke on Christmas Morning they ran in and saw their tree sparkling and glittering in the morning sun. They had never seen such a fine-looking tree and only the mother knew that a true Christmas miracle had occurred overnight. From that day on tinsel has been used on trees all over the world. Those who know the legend make sure that they remember the Christmas spiders by hanging a beautiful spider ornament on their tree.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 15, 2005

That's a lovely story! - but, I still don't like spiders! :)