Please Help!!! First Grade Reading Assessment

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by justfine, Sep 9, 2007.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I am looking for a quick way to assessment my first graders reading ability. How do you assess them? I am looking for assessment tools, forms, etc. Anything will be helpful!

3. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

Carl's Corner has many assessment tools. I think you will find it helpful.

4. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Sep 10, 2007

There is a test called the WRAT that is quick to use. You can print it off the net I think. I use a reading assessment program called Primary Success -Successful Assessment. You would have to order it thought, although you might be able to download it. It has spelling, writing, sight reading, math, phonics, and reading assessment in it.

5. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

Autumnpumpkin

Do you have a web site for the assessments you suggested. I have been searching online for a few days now and i've found nothing. Thanks!

6. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

I agree with using running records. That & WPM rate is how I check on my students. We don't use leveled books.

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

A quick and easy wordlist assessment I always use just to put the kids in 4-5 groups is called The San Diego Quick test. Find it online. I then have them read 2 different books 1 level apart and I take a quickie running record on just a few pages. If it seems too easy, I bump it up a level.
    Some places to start if you've never done it at all, get a B book, D book an E book and an F and G. See what happens from that. You will know where to go from there. If they are only at letter sounds I usually just put them in sightword flashcards (the, and, is, at, etc) and the easiest A or B book I can find with total cat, mat, sat type text. I also make up flashcards with CVC words like hot, hat, cat, mop, cup, those kinds of flashcards. You will be surprised how fast they will learn their sounds just doing CVC flashcards. You may have a few higher readers. Start with where you think they are and do running record while they read. G and H are very high for first graders. High kids in Sept. (from my memory as I'm in 2nd now) was F or G but there are always the occasional whiz kids who are K or L. Now You can go for the paragraphs and comprehension questions type tests or do that later after you've taught them a few strategies like I do. By then I've fiddled with my groups a bit too.