please help a new teacher in 6th grade----please

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Occabacca, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Oct 3, 2009

I have been all over this forum. here's my situation, I just moved to tennessee and am a first year teacher, teaching 6th grade. I have about 120 students. I need a great behavior management plan, that works and is fairly inexpensive and time saving to keep up with.

I like rewarding students with good behavior, so i already have a treasure chest filled with pencils, erasers and other gadgets.

The students have to keep an agenda with them at all times, and in their agenda is where you can record bad behavior daily. Students are supposed to show it to their parents, but realistically there are parents that dont care. Some of the kids don't care if you mark their agenda at all, some think its funny. I have a good level of respect with my students, and don't allow them to walk on me at all. I just need something that will work to possibly change the bad eggs into wanting to be good eggs. I love them all, i just want to show them a way that acting good, pays off

please help me, i would really appreciate it

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2009

Hi!

We use x's . If a student is misbehaving , forgets homework or breaks a rule we assign an x in the agenda. 3 x's and you get an after school detention.

Seems to be working well with this age

Good Luck!!

4. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Oct 3, 2009

well we do that too, they have a school policy with strikes and after 3 is parental contact, then loss of bread, dean referal and so on, but im looking for something i can implement in my own classroom that will reinforce good behavior

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2009

In my homeroom we decide at the start of the month what type of reward we would like ..Popcorn Party, Electronic Party , Icecream Float party..whatever they want ( within reason)

I write it on the board and if we can keep at least 4 letters by the end of the moth we get the reward party. I take away letters if the class is misbehaving or talking when they are supposed to be reading.

Sorry forgot this in my post before

They really like getting a say in what the reward will be

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 3, 2009

Loss of bread?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

Start picking up the phone instead of writing in the agenda.

I'm guessing that those parents DO care, they're either swamped or unaware fhat you're putting messages there.

So start by calling, either at home or at work, and don't stop until you speak to an adult-- there's no guarantee that they'll actually get messages you leave on machines.

8. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Oct 3, 2009

well i guess i didn't give enough info, i have picked up the phone----- i DO call, and I DO speak to parents. I have some who care and some who don't.

i am looking for some kind of reward system, not a critical post

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

I'm so sorry, I honestly didn't mean it as critical.

As I read it, you put notes in the kids' agendas, even knowing that some parents "don't care." I know that sometimes things in my own house are hectic, and I simply don't get the chance to check the agendas every day. And I know that kids this age are quite capable of ripping out a page in an agenda, or of forgetting to tell mom and dad of a bad message from a teacher.

So I was making a sincere suggestion-- try phone contact. I'm sorry if my words implied otherwise.

In my experience, there is no such thing as a 'great behavior plan." It's all about setting a tone and consistency, along with a little bit of luck in the kids you end up teaching.

Here's another thread on the same topic:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=96987

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 3, 2009

why not set a goal for every 6 weeks or every month? For example, if there are 30 days this 6 weeks, the students have to have at least 28 good days to earn a reward. I give smily face stamps at the end of each day and the kids keep up with how many they have. Make the first reward something really cool and they will buy into it a lot!

Also, make sure you are really focusing your praise on the ones who are doing the right thing. Add additional rewards--such as HW passes (for all or even just 1/2) or candy (if your school system is ok with that) or whatever your school has.

Good luck!!! Unfortunately we live in tough times right now. Even parents that care are swamped and may be working 2 jobs.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

Powerteaching works well with my sixth graders. They eat up the scoreboard. All it takes is 10 mins of game time at the end of the day as a reward. We sometimes work toward a bigger, more long term goal, like movie Friday.

12. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Oct 4, 2009

loss of break, lol sorry

13. musicbx

musicbx Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

What about a "prize jar"? If my students are behaving then they get to put a slip of paper with their name on it into the jar. At the end of the week, I draw a name for a small-but-convincing prize. My students are what one might call "behaviorally challenged", so I break the period in half, and they get two chances at putting their name in (one for behaving during the first 20 minutes, one for behaving during the second 20 minutes)

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2009

You might try prefered activity time. Check out Tools for Teaching.

15. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

I am not trying to come across as critical, but I recommend you read "Punished by Rewards." The author believes that rewards do nothing to provide intrinsic motivation and only affect behavior in the short term. The more rewards you give, the bigger ones they will want.

My son's middle school gives out "bucks" for everything, even things I think should be required and not rewarded, and then they use those to buy things at a school "store." It's ridiculous. They are even having to ask parents to donate things to stock the store.

On the flip side, the author doesn't believe in punishments either, but I choose to ignore that chapter because there has to be SOME consequence, and punishments are more likely to prepare kids for the real world than rewarding them.

16. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

Yes, now you only get water. :lol: