Please don't hold your cell phone and drive...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Apr 25, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 25, 2011

I'll make it brief but please, if you need to use your phone, make sure you're in a parking lot if you're in the car , not actively driving...

Today, I had to honk at a man on his phone as he failed to yield to me then hit or almost hit a teenager in the crosswalk (I didn't see since I had to keep looking straight so I could safely drive but reported that the driver was on the phone with the business police line and was clearly distracted doing those 2 things within a few seconds:naughty:)

As I looked in the rearview mirror I saw flashing lights so there happened to be a police car driving by and stopped to help out.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 25, 2011

Good advice.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

I use an earpiece. I can answer the phone by touching a button on the earpiece I can say "call you later I am on the road," If I ever need to dial I ether pull off or do it at a light.
    It is just so easy to do it safely.

What I can't understand is a bluetooth earpiece is ONLY $15 at Walmart!

The other day I was driving my stepdaughter and her boyfriend in the car and every car that was ether weaving or driving too slow, the %$#@*& driver was on the phone HOLDING it up to their ear.

The kids started to laugh because I kept saying, "On the phone" AND sure enough there was a phone 'up side the head'

We even encountered a pedestrian crossing the street while on the phone and not aware that he had started to cross the street during a left turn single and a don't walk signal.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 26, 2011

I bought my first bluetooth last week. I don't talk on the phone while driving very often, but I have done it. My previous phone wasn't bluetooth compatible. I made sure the new one was when it came time to upgrade.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

I have a bluetooth as well. It is now illegal in DE to talk or text while driving - hands-free only. I hope other states follow. I swear, every single time there is a driver doing something he/she is not supposed to be doing, I look and they have a cell phone.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

It's against the law in NY State.

If there's an emergency, I pull over.

Otherwise I have no reason to use the phone while driving.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

It is in Ontario as well. If I'm driving and my phone rings, it only gets answered if there is someone else in the vehicle with me. My children text, they don't call, and know that I'll read and answer when I'm able.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

I hate talking and driving. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time in the car, and I'd prefer it be the road. Plus, it makes for awkward handling - I don't have a hands-free device and my car's a manual.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

Check out newegg.com for bluetooth devices if interested. I got mine at Christmas for a penny after the rebate, because LG was replacing that model with a new model, which was virtually identical. All I had to pay was shipping. I got the same one for my mom.

They are also great if you are on the phone and trying to cook or clean or anything else you can think of. I put my phone in my apron pocket and talk to my mom while I am baking.

11. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 26, 2011

Talking on the cell phone while driving is bad, but the people who are texting while driving are the worst. They are NOT looking at the road at all. I guess I am an old fuddy-duddy, but I see no cause to do either while driving. I love when people get in their car in the parking lot, back out of their spot and immediately get on the phone. Couldn't you sit for a few minutes to hold that very important conversation? And you are right-you always know is otherwise occupied because they are all over the road, slow, slower, then fast, then slow........

12. carlea

carlea Comrade

Apr 26, 2011

Hands free is the law in CA too. But so many people still hold their phone or text. I've seen a police officer in his patrol car holding his cell phone and talking. In fact, I've seen this twice.

The fine for getting caught is only $159+. I think this is a ridiculously low amount for doing something that can endanger lives. A single person in the carpool lane pays $300+ for a ticket. Littering is even over $200.

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 26, 2011

Wow, I'm glad a cop was there...one of the rare instances they're actually in the right place at the right time. I swear I see so many things going on...speeders, texters, talkers and never a cop in sight!

Carlea: Oh yes, I'm in CA as well and I always see people holding their phones. It's crazy to me because it's SO obvious they're on their phone.

My sister's friend was at a red light and was looking at her maps app for this new doctors office she was going to. A cop pulled up next to her and told her to pull over. She explained she was going to the doctors and looking at her map to see where to go next, she showed him her paperwork she had and he let her go but told her to pull over next time she needs to check her phone. I just thought that was interesting because I always wondered what they do when they see you at a red light looking at your phone.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 26, 2011

This thread jinxed me! I was out running this morning and a lady ran a stop sign and was thisclose to hitting me! She was coming down our big hill FAST, too. So close I could hit her hood! She wasn't on her cell phone, but I'm sure if she was I would be in the hospital right now. Anyhow, yes. Get off the phone. And don't run stop signs. ;)

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

I have a bluetooth as well. If I have to dial I pull over or do it at a light (and then only one where it's just changed and I know I have time).

16. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 26, 2011

Oh gosh. Glad you're okay. I've learned to not assume a driver sees me til they've really stopped or are easily too far away so I have time to cross the street. Some people can be so distracted :naughty: that unless you see the car is stopped or too far away, I'll wait for them to pass me by even in the parking lot heading to a store.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2011

For a science fair project one year, these sisters -who were in 3rd grade- did one of my favorite projects of all time!

They set up a video game-one that has the wheel, the had their participants play the game with both hands, then they had them play the game again using both hands but asked them a list of questions while they were playing, last they had them play one more time but this time they held a phone while asking them the list of questions. It was a great experiment, and the results got worse and worse each time-even though you would think after playing a couple rounds of a racing game, you would get the swing of it.

What was really cool is that after they did all their research, they brought the game set up and let people at the science fair try!

Proved their point that even using a handsfree/bluetooth, you are still distracted.