Please critique my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rtphillips, Mar 15, 2012.

1. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Hi all. I've read it's best to just put my resume in here for you all to critique. I'm no resume expert, and I'm open to constructive criticism. Gotta make this baby look good for a job fair and interviews to come. One thing that won't come through is the formatting. Does it make a lot of difference how it's formatted? Is anyone willing for me to send it to them via email and critique that? And how about references- I have two professional and two personal, is that good?

Also, I sort of tailored this to international schools to begin with. I removed some small things that might be irrelevant in the states.

OBJECTIVE
    Internationally experienced, professionally licensed teacher seeking elementary level teaching position.

EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor of Science (2007); Major: Elementary Education K-6
    (University Name), city, state; Dean’s List
    Overall QPA: 3.32/4.00 - Elementary Education QPA: 3.34/4.00

State of Pennsylvania Teaching License (K-6)

PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE

(International School Name) – city, South Korea 2008-2010
    Teacher (3rd Grade)
    • Instructed 3rd grade curriculum, planned and implemented units and programs to meet the intellectual, academic, and social needs of a diverse group of learners.
    • Instructed Bible, Math, Reading, Writing and Grammar, Science, Social Studies, and Elementary Chapel.
    • In addition, instructed specials classes (2009-2010): Computer, Physical Education, and Library.
    • Created IEPs for ESL students based on English language ability.
    • Assessed student performance using a variety of formative and summative strategies.
    • Collaborated as part of an accreditation team for the school (2008-2009).
    • Head Coach of Varsity Boys’ basketball team 2008-2010.

(School Name) – city, state April - June 2008
    Full Time Substitute Teacher (4th Grade)
    • Instructed 4th grade curriculum, planned and implemented units and lessons based on state standards and school curriculum.

(School District Name) – city, state 2007-2008
    Substitute Teacher

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

6 + 1 Traits of Writing, Grades 3 and Up - 2009
    The First Days of School, Harry K. Wong – 2008
    (Environmental Learning Center School Name), Student Teaching - 2006
    Pennsylvania Army Nat’l Guard Leadership Training - 2004

PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS & COMMUNITY INITIATIVES

Student Pennsylvania State Education Association – 2006-Present
    Sigma Tau Delta (National English Honor Society) – 2006-Present
    Volunteer/Coordinator, (Organization name) - 2011
    Leadership Team/Worship Leader, Campus Crusade for Christ – 2005-2007
    Youth Group Leader, (Church name) – 2005-2006
    Playground Supervisor, (Organization name) – 2002

SKILLS

Coaching: Basketball, Track and Field
    Proficiency in Microsoft Office, iWork, Mac OSX, Windows OS, Internet and Email
    Singing, Guitar, Songwriting
    Experience with Korean culture and language

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE

(Organization Name here), Manila Philippines January 2011-March 2012
    Short Term Missions Coordinator
    Raised full missionary support for my family through speaking engagements. Communicated with team leaders to plan the logistics of their trips. Coordinated with multiple ministries to plan and organize a variety of events and activities for teams to conduct. Worked with teams on the ground to improve quality of life for impoverished children in Manila through programs, feedings, and education.

(Company Name here) June-December 2010
    Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS)
    Worked with children who have mental and/or social disabilities in the classroom to help them stay on task and reach goals set by the case manager. Collaborated with teachers and health professionals to assess clients’ progress in meeting goals.

(State) Army National Guard, (Unit here) 2000-2006
    Sergeant (E-5), Team Leader

REFERENCES

Professional References
    Mr. W, Director, ABC School (XXX)-XXX-XXXX
    address here email address here

Ms. X, Former Principal, ABC School (XXX)-XXX-XXXX
    Address here email address here

Personal References
    Mr. Y, business title and company, (XXX)-XXX-XXXX

Mr. Z, business title and company, (XXX)-XXX-XXXX

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 15, 2012

Did you do any student teaching?

I usually don't put an objective on my teaching resumes. Of course our objective is to get a job as a teacher! I also don't list my references on my resume. And I've never heard of schools wanting personal references. I've only ever used professional references.

4. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Ok, thanks for the tips. I did do student teaching, but I wasn't sure if I should list it because I've had professional teaching experience since- didn't know if it made me look like I was grasping for experiences to list.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

Since most of your experience is in Korea, if you are applying for jobs in the US it would be good to have your student teaching experience on your resume. It would show that you were also trained in American classrooms.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

I might not put "Bible" first in the list of subjects taught. I'd leave it: just not as first in the list.

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Mar 16, 2012

Under Professional Teaching Experience, rather than just listing your job responsibilities and accomplishments (this gets boring to resume readers), try this technique: Challenge, Action, Result (CAR) story method. Here is an example:

In coming up with a bullet, these were my notes:

Challenge: There was no curriculum
    Action: Created curriculum
    Result: great feedback from parents

I don't feel comfortable posting the "story" or finished product on this open forum, but it was one complete, eloquent sentence. This technique truly did wonders for my resume. I would suggest two-four of these bullets for your most recent teaching position.

Here's some good websites that explain the technique in more detail:
    http://www.imdiversity.com/villages...e/locke/locke_resume_accomplishments_1206.asp

http://www.distinctiveweb.com/news-...ing-an-irresistible-resume-that-gets-results/

Another thing: you really need to play up your international teaching experience, that's huge. I hope this helps:)