Please critique my cover letter!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ll1301, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Hi everyone!! I gotta say... writing my cover letter has been the most stressful part of the beginning of the job search. I can't seem to get it right... I feel like it's too long, too short, too wordy, etc.. Can you please critique my cover letter? It's for an elementary teaching position. Please be HONEST! I take all feedback constructively! :) thank you!!!! Here it is...

July 10, 2013

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am pleased to present my resume to you for consideration as an elementary teacher for __ ISD. I have a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Curriculum and Instruction from Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. It is my strong belief and desire to provide all children with an excellent education. I am confident in my ability to be a valuable asset to your school district.

I completed my student teaching in a first grade dual language classroom at M. Elementary School in N.B, Texas this past Spring. Throughout my student teaching experience, I planned and implemented lessons using the Thinking Map structure in the English component of the dual language program. During my student teaching assignment, I developed and maintained new and existing classroom management strategies for 34 students in a Title I school setting. While in a dual language classroom, I was able to practice and incorporate the English Language Proficiency Standards for English language learners in all of the lessons I created. In the Fall of 2012, I completed my field block assignment in a first grade general education classroom at M Elementary School in NB, Texas. During my internship, I conducted Running Reading Records for students of varying reading levels, finished a Developmental Reading Assessment of a third grade student, and created and implemented lessons with a phonological emphasis for 22 students.

My greatest strengths include inspiring and motivating students to become life-long learners. I actively engage students by incorporating a variety of manipulatives, enjoyable activities, and cooperative learning projects. In addition, I tailor lesson plans to meet their diverse interests, as well as demonstrate direct connections between the classroom and everyday life.

I look forward with great anticipation to discussing with you the many ways in which I can make a significant contribution to your educational program. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2013

Your assessment of your letter is apt. The point of a cover letter is not to recap your resume nor to show off your grasp of buzzwords: it's to interest the reader in learning more about YOU.

Tell me a story about you as a teacher, making a difference.